GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flyers Will Win The Stanley Cup, says The Hockey News

+6
shabbs
LeCaptain
PTFlea
jamvan
SensFan71
davetherave
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Hockey News never fails to stir the emotions of our esteemed GMHockey Members, and Sam McCaig's latest prediction is sure to raise some eyebrows, if not hackles here.

And seeing as former Sen, Ray Emery, is one of the reasons McCaig claims that Philly Cheesesteak-stained fingers will be smeared all over Stanley's mug, I thought you all would enjoy reading Mr. McCaig's little article.

You no doubt have your own opinions...

Here it is, posted exactly as it appears at THN.com:

---
THN.com Blog: Three reasons the Flyers will win the Cup
Chris Pronger leads a potent Flyers blueline into the 2009-10 NHL season.

Sam McCaig, THN.com/2009-09-13 09:30:00

That muffled roar you just heard coming out of Pennsylvania probably was Flyers fans registering their approval of The Hockey News making Philadelphia our pre-season pick to win the Stanley Cup in the 2009-10 Yearbook.

Or, it was Penguins fans registering their disapproval of said selection.

Regardless, the somewhat unorthodox prediction – it would’ve been pretty easy to pick a Penguins-Red Wings Part III, to complete the trilogy – bears a closer look.

So here it is, the Three-Star case for the Flyers as Stanley Cup champions this coming June:

1. The Pronger Effect
Not only is Chris Pronger still one of the most dominant, devastating defensemen in the game today, Stanley Cup finals have a way of following him around; especially in his first season with a new team. At least, that’s been the case in the post-lockout NHL and it’s a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, so that’s all the matters.

After nine seasons in St. Louis, Pronger showed up in Edmonton in 2005-06 and led the Oilers to the Cup final against Carolina. Edmonton lost in seven games, but the Oilers wouldn’t have come close to advancing that far without the ultra-talented, ultra-snarly defenseman.

The next season, after an auspicious exit from Edmonton (let’s just say, don’t expect Pronger to return to the Oilers a la Mike Comrie anytime soon), he showed up in Anaheim on a blueline that also featured Scott Niedermayer and the pair of future Hall of Famers led the fighty Ducks to a Stanley Cup championship.

Now, Pronger is with his third new team since the lockout. And neither the ’06 Oilers nor the ’07 Ducks were as good as the Flyers – at least on paper – appear to be.

There might not be a Niedermayer equivalent in Philadelphia, but Pronger joins Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn and Ryan Parent for a very impressive top-four on the blueline and the depth combination of Matt Carle and Randy Jones offers a nice blend of offense (Carle) and grit (Jones).

2. Flyers Fine Up Front
If you’re a Philadelphia Flyers forward these days, you’re one of two things: talented or tough. And quite possibly, you’re both. Simply put, the Flyers have a formidable cast of forwards and they can win with skill or they can muck it up.

They’ve got two-way dynamo Mike Richards, a Bobby Clarke clone, and 46-goal scorer Jeff Carter as the Nos. 1 and 2 centers. Shifty Daniel Briere can play the middle, but on this team he’s better suited as a right winger on one of the top two lines. Plus, that allows up-and-coming center Claude Giroux, who was one of the team’s best forwards in the 2008 playoffs, to man the third line.

Simon Gagne is the Flyers’ top left winger – and one of the best in the league when he’s healthy, which was the case last season after playing just 25 games in 2007-08. Behind Gagne is Scott Hartnell, who delivered his most impressive season to date last year when he potted 30 goals and 60 points to go along with his sandpaper play.

There’s also rookie James van Riemsdyk on the left side, should he make the team, and he’s a power-forward-in-progress with the draft pedigree (second overall in 2007) to be a top-line force.

Then there’s the tough guys. Ian Laperriere, an agitator extraordinaire, is penciled in as the fourth-line center. The Western Conference warrior (mostly Los Angeles and Colorado) has made a career killing penalties, as well as the opponent’s will to compete, and he’s a perfect fit to fly over the boards after the top three lines have inflicted some damage on the scoreboard and in the trenches.

Don’t forget Daniel Carcillo and Arron Asham, both of whom can play a bit as well as scrap, and Jon Kalinski and Riley Cote, who will forcefully address any unpleasantness as it arises. For depth, there’s Andreas Nodl, a second-round draft pick in 2006, Darroll Powe and Jared Ross, a pair of free agent signings who spent time with the big club last season.

If you’re counting, that’s 15 NHL-caliber forwards. And at least six of them – plus, perhaps van Riemsdyk one day soon – are bona fide top-line players. Very few other NHL teams, if any, boast this combination of talent, depth and toughness. It’s a scary-good blend, the kind that can win in both the regular season and playoffs.

3. Ray Emery, Stanley Cup finalist
Yes, it’s true. One of the main reasons the Flyers signed Emery was because they could get the goalie with the checkered past on the cheap (one year for $1.5 million). After deciding that last year’s tandem of Martin Biron and Antero Niittymaki wasn’t going to cut it, Philadelphia’s options were very limited.

It was sign Emery or, well, go with someone such as Scott Clemmensen, Ty Conklin, Mathieu Garon or Jason LaBarbera – all of whom signed for about as much as Emery accepted. The difference is, none of those guys have backstopped a team to a Stanley Cup final, the way Emery did as a 25-year-old with Ottawa in 2007.

Emery didn’t single-handedly deliver the Senators to the final – or win them the Cup, as it turned out – but he was a valuable piece of that team. On the ice, anyway.

And whatever you think of Emery’s off-ice shenanigans, from missed practices and flights to fighting with teammates to highway incidents to Mike Tyson mask tributes, the guy does recognize he’s getting a second chance in the NHL after a year in Siberia (OK, Russia, but you know what we mean…).

He’s going to be on his best behavior, at least for a while, and he’ll be in a dressing room with a strong leadership presence (Pronger, Richards and Timonen, for starters). We should see the best Emery has to offer, and that effort has already been enough to take another club to the final.

This time, it might be enough to win a championship.

Sam McCaig is The Hockey News' senior copy editor and a contributor to THN.com. His blog appears every weekend and his column, From The Point, appears regularly.

---

So is McCaig correct in his prognostication? If not, why not, and who do you see as the East's beasts and bests?

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

This team goes as far as Rayzor can carry them, not sure how far that will be.

Awesome, so they wont. THN is NEVER, ever, correct.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Boston and Washington will be in the top 3, not certain who rounds out the 3, perhaps Philly or Pittsburgh, the one that doesn't finishes 4th, then 5th to 8th is a crapshoot.

Dont count Ottawa out of that top 3 now. For sure they can challenge Boston. A ton of expecations on a young team can def bring them down to earth a bit.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:Dont count Ottawa out of that top 3 now. For sure they can challenge Boston. A ton of expecations on a young team can def bring them down to earth a bit.
I agree 100% with that. We will be a force to be reckon with. Murray has done a stan up job in a little amount of time.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm sorry to have to say this, but the Hockey News has gone down a long, long way.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Dont count Ottawa out of that top 3 now. For sure they can challenge Boston. A ton of expecations on a young team can def bring them down to earth a bit.

I am trying to manage my expectations by putting Ottawa in the 5th to 8th range, then if they exceed expectations, then great. Flyers Will Win The Stanley Cup, says The Hockey News 668437

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

They could have been last year also, but that Fleury save changed it all. Carter was also injured.
There' probably 5-6 teams you could say today will win the cup, one bad luck here and there or one huge/missed save and everything changes.
Whatever, I don' t know what is the point of predicting a cup champion now. If they win the cup, are the Hockey news staff gonna go out and celebrate a moral victory? It's not like the Flyers are the Avalanche.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know where OTtawa will be, I know they make the playoffs though.
What is pretty sure is, the inconsistency is over in OTtawa. The 1st line chokes, there's 2 other lines who can carry the load. The days of 7 straight wins/losses are over in OTtawa.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Sens could land anywhere between 5 and 8. Top 4 is pretty much locked up and the rest is up for grabs. I think the Leafs may surprise this season...

shabbs wrote:The Sens could land anywhere between 5 and 8. Top 4 is pretty much locked up and the rest is up for grabs. I think the Leafs may surprise this season...

I think Boston is a good team, but not a lock in the NE, nor is Washington a lock with Tampa looking as good and improved as they do. I think the top 6 spots in the East might be locked up, but not the top 3 spots.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:The Sens could land anywhere between 5 and 8. Top 4 is pretty much locked up and the rest is up for grabs. I think the Leafs may surprise this season...

if they manage to steal Kessel away from Boston, I may agree with you, but a team that is tough but has trouble scoring goals is a pretty risky bet, Toskala is still a huge ? in terms of health and who knows how Monster is going to respond, I prefer our tandem over theirs, even with Leclaire's past injury history.

Not with Emery in nets, haha, he's getting lit up. Picking up right where he left off in Ottawa, a goaltender who can't make the big save or even some of the easy ones. Couldnt be happier.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Personally, I think the Flyers are one of the best teams in the league. Unfortunately for them, Emery is all that stands between a good team and a great team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum