GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hockey News prediction

+2
Lagoon
Cap'n Clutch
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Hockey News prediction Empty Hockey News prediction Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What are your thoughts on this guys?  I personally feel he's pretty bang on.  I went to a few Flames games last year and if not for the terrible injury bug they would have made some noise last season.  I'm pretty happy with the changes they made outside of having to lose Dougie Hamilton to make some of the moves happen.

MISSED PLAYOFFS IN 2017-18, COULD MAKE IN 2018-19

1. Calgary Flames (My projection: second in Pacific Division, fourth in West)

An aggressive prediction, yes. Even if the Flames had kept their exact roster from this past season, I would’ve been bullish on their chances at a rebound in 2018-19. They endured horrible injury luck this past season. Mike Smith was probably the team’s MVP before he got hurt, 23-16-6, with a .921 save percentage, and was terrible upon returning, going 2-6-0 with an .880 SP. T.J. Brodie and Matthew Tkachuk sustained concussions. Sean Monahan needed four surgeries this off-season to repair his battered body. Better health alone would thus make me optimistic about the Flames getting back to the playoffs. With Monahan, Tkachuk, Johnny Gaudreau, Mikael Backlund and Mark Giordano leading the way, the Flames don’t hurt for talent when they’re healthy.

And now they’ve significantly increased the overall talent on their roster – yes, even though they surrendered the best player in the Dougie Hamilton trade. Noah Hanifin isn’t as good as Hamilton right now, but Hanifin is still only 21 and has plenty of time to grow into a top-pair blueliner. Elias Lindholm, also coming over in the blockbuster deal with Carolina, has a much higher ceiling than the departed Micheal Ferland. James Neal, signed as a UFA, brings 25 goals or more to the fray. The Flames now have their best options ever to play with Gaudreau and Monahan, whether Neal, Lindholm or even Tkachuk gets tabbed for the job. To top it off, the Flames signed underrated two-way pivot Derek Ryan to center their third line – and they have a new coach in Bill Peters.

No team has improved itself more this off-season in my opinion. I don’t merely like the Flames to get back in the playoffs – I like them to compete for the Pacific Division crown.

- Matt Larken

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/three-playoff-teams-who-could-miss-in-2018-19-and-three-non-playoff-teams-who-could-get-in

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

2Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I echo all that pretty much. I’ve got Smith, Gaudreau, Backlund and Giordano on one of my 24 man fantasy rosters.

3Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It should be noted that this was written in July so the statement "No team has improved itself more this off-season in my opinion." was made before some major moves.

- Unknown Author

4Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The biggest issue I see with the Flames is in goal. Everything rests on Smith. He gets injured again or has struggles they're doomed. They didn't address the backup situation adequately IMO. I have zero confidence in their options as backup especially if Smith is injured.

- Unknown Author

5Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:39 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Four off season surgeries? That's not good. Giordano and Gaudreau are undersized and not immune from injuries. How will Tkachuk do after a concussion? Plus the other teams in the West haven't exactly been standing pat.

6Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, they'll be fighting for 8th and be lucky to get in.

7Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Health will play a big part for sure.

- Unknown Author

8Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:12 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Meh. Healthy, not healthy, they're in tough.

9Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Looks like Vegas had to shake off some Stanley Cup Finals hangover because they did not look good those first few games. San Jose needs to be a lot better but, I see them being fine.

As for the Flames. They're getting solid backup goaltending. Smith needs to improve though and what the hell is that coach thinking putting Neal on the 3rd line to start the season and leaving him there to languish? They brought him in for scoring not to be a 3rd line grinder. Sure Lindholm has looked great on the top line but, what a waste of Neal. Yes James needs to be better but, FFS give him the ice time and put him where he can succeed. That IS why they brought him there.

- Unknown Author

10Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:25 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Clutch you sure are beginning to sound like a huge Flames fan. Can you even say all the Sens jersey numbers? Quick, what number is Tierney?

11Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:28 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Clutch you sure are beginning to sound like a huge Flames fan. Can you even say all the Sens jersey numbers? Quick, what number is Tierney?

Ha. I couldn't tell you what # Tierney is either....

12Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Come on, #71. Didn't even have to look it up. DeMelo is #2. Formenton is #57. Is Boedker #89? He took McCormick's old number.
So what's McCormick wearing?

13Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Clutch you sure are beginning to sound like a huge Flames fan. Can you even say all the Sens jersey numbers? Quick, what number is Tierney?

Would you blame him? With the Dung show this organization is?

14Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:

Would you blame him? With the Dung show this organization is?
haha. Calgary is a bit of a tire fire right now too. No I don't have Jersey numbers memorized but, I do follow the Sens closely enough to know Chabot was the points leader heading into this game and Tierney and Lajoi have been a great surprise at least offensively.

- Unknown Author

15Hockey News prediction Empty Re: Hockey News prediction Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was a flames fan in the 80s and felt the pain of 86 and the joy of 89. My loyalties moved to Pittsburgh during the Lemieux hay day and then Sens as I lived in Ottawa . Now that I'm in Calgary I'm back to my original team while still supporting the Sens. Mario Lemieux still remains my fav player all time though

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum