GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emery benched

+10
Mosky
jamvan
Aetherial
pgood
Acrobat
Cronie
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

46Emery benched - Page 4 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:54 am

pgood

Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
Acrobat wrote:To go back to the original point, Emery didn't carry Ottawa to the playoffs, nor did he take them to the SCF. He was merely good enough not to lose too much for them not to get there. The skaters did the rest - until they met Anaheim, and they needed a goalie to steal a game.
I agree with this point. I too don't feel that Emery carried us there, but rather played "good enough" to allow the team to get there. At the end of the day, that's all you really need as long as your forwards do their job and put pucks in the opposition's net. When we did get to the SCF, we got crushed by ANA's physical game.

He played more than "good enough" in my opinion. With Gerber that season, the team had ZERO confidence and it showed. The team had confidence in Emery. So, essentially, at the very least he played "good enough" to inspire his team mates to play better.

It's easy to sit there and say the skaters "did the rest" but did they really? How many nights before Emery returned did the skaters get it done only to have Gerber allow a back-breaking game tieing or losing goal? The skaters did their job, but there are certain expectations for both the forwards and the goalie.

It's all well and good when your team can score 4 goals a night, but it ain't worth a darn if they allow 5.

Emery never allowed that back-breaker (until the SCF) and the team had confidence. Which also translates into changing how the skaters play. Maybe a d-man pinches in a little more often. Maybe a forward takes a play at a loose puck in the neutral zone where he previously backed off. Your mindset changes when you trust your goalie won't allow that back-breaker if you slip up. You just feel more comfortable taking a little more risk knowing that it likely won't hurt the team. And that can make a HUGE difference in the outcome of a game.

How many times late in the season going into the 3rd up by a goal did you feel comfortable thinking the Sens would close it out? And how many times early on in the season? To me that amounts to more than good enough.

47Emery benched - Page 4 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:41 am

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

pgood wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Acrobat wrote:To go back to the original point, Emery didn't carry Ottawa to the playoffs, nor did he take them to the SCF. He was merely good enough not to lose too much for them not to get there. The skaters did the rest - until they met Anaheim, and they needed a goalie to steal a game.
I agree with this point. I too don't feel that Emery carried us there, but rather played "good enough" to allow the team to get there. At the end of the day, that's all you really need as long as your forwards do their job and put pucks in the opposition's net. When we did get to the SCF, we got crushed by ANA's physical game.

He played more than "good enough" in my opinion. With Gerber that season, the team had ZERO confidence and it showed. The team had confidence in Emery. So, essentially, at the very least he played "good enough" to inspire his team mates to play better.

It's easy to sit there and say the skaters "did the rest" but did they really? How many nights before Emery returned did the skaters get it done only to have Gerber allow a back-breaking game tieing or losing goal? The skaters did their job, but there are certain expectations for both the forwards and the goalie.

It's all well and good when your team can score 4 goals a night, but it ain't worth a darn if they allow 5.

Emery never allowed that back-breaker (until the SCF) and the team had confidence. Which also translates into changing how the skaters play. Maybe a d-man pinches in a little more often. Maybe a forward takes a play at a loose puck in the neutral zone where he previously backed off. Your mindset changes when you trust your goalie won't allow that back-breaker if you slip up. You just feel more comfortable taking a little more risk knowing that it likely won't hurt the team. And that can make a HUGE difference in the outcome of a game.

How many times late in the season going into the 3rd up by a goal did you feel comfortable thinking the Sens would close it out? And how many times early on in the season? To me that amounts to more than good enough.

Yeah, against Detroit I didn't feel comfortable when we were up by a goal. Even when Gerber is playing well, we've seen it too many times. It wasn't helping that Spezza and Heatley got lost on the way to the arena and they iced the towel boys with their jerseys on.

I hope this Elliot kid pans out.

48Emery benched - Page 4 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:20 am

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

Point being.. very simple.. Emery made the saves he was suppose to make... With the team we have, that's all we need in a goalie.. is it really asking that much??

49Emery benched - Page 4 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:42 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

smash88 wrote:Point being.. very simple.. Emery made the saves he was suppose to make... With the team we have, that's all we need in a goalie.. is it really asking that much??

I was a huge Emery supporter for the longest time. We finally had a good, not great, goalie who showed great potential and was cool under pressure.

So close...

It shouldn't be too much to ask, but it's not like we haven't been asking for a while now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum