GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emery back to NHL?

+4
pgood
smash88
PTFlea
Riprock
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Emery back to NHL? Empty Emery back to NHL? Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:39 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2008/10/07/ray_emery_back_in_nhl/

One team has apparently already inquired into his services, though Emery, who is on a two-year deal with an out clause at the end of thsi year, is intent on finishing out this season with Atlant of the KHL.

2Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:41 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2008/10/07/ray_emery_back_in_nhl/

One team has apparently already inquired into his services, though Emery, who is on a two-year deal with an out clause at the end of thsi year, is intent on finishing out this season with Atlant of the KHL.

I read that, but his numbers are crappy. If they were like a 1.77 with a .938 I could see a team inquiring as to whether he's grown up or not, but his numbers are rubbish. Very odd.

3Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:45 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

And he's ranked 24/48, which is not too good. But I can see an NHL team taking a chance on him.

4Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:01 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:And he's ranked 24/48, which is not too good. But I can see an NHL team taking a chance on him.

I can definitely see a team going after Emery... Especially if they can get him for cheap... He was a solid goaltender and there aren't many in the league right now... He's still young and can learn... I am sure he will be playing in the NHL next year...

5Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:58 am

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

DashRiprock wrote:And he's ranked 24/48, which is not too good. But I can see an NHL team taking a chance on him.

the numbers that article shows are so far away from being the actual numbers its not even funny...

ok they aren't that far off, but still

a .930 save percentage and 2.07 gaa are much better than the .896 and 2.65 they list. I'm not sure if those numbers were updated between yesterday (Oct 7) and today (Oct 8). But I can say that the numbers posted in the comments section of .927 and 2.19 were accurate as of two days ago.

Frankly, considering the source you'd think Sportsnet would put just a little effort into verifying the stats they published, especially when they are easily accessible. About 10 seconds of online research could have saved them looking a bit stupid, but what can you do.

This link took me about 17 seconds to fine...

KHL Goalie Stats

6Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

pgood wrote:
the numbers that article shows are so far away from being the actual numbers its not even funny...

a .930 save percentage and 2.07 gaa are much better than the .896 and 2.65 they list. I'm not sure if those numbers were updated between yesterday (Oct 7) and today (Oct 8). But I can say that the numbers posted in the comments section of .927 and 2.19 were accurate as of two days ago.

Frankly, considering the source you'd think Sportsnet would put just a little effort into verifying the stats they published, especially when they are easily accessible. About 10 seconds of online research could have saved them looking a bit stupid, but what can you do.

KHL Goalie Stats

I thought the numbers looked a bit suspect. I suppose after giving up 6 in the first outing your GAA and SV% would be suspect for a few games.

However I've never been able to find good links for KHL stats. Any KHL.ru page link I've ever tried resolved to a "Page load error -- address not found" , including the link you posted. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a problem with Rogers' DNS servers.

7Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
pgood wrote:

KHL Goalie Stats

I thought the numbers looked a bit suspect. I suppose after giving up 6 in the first outing your GAA and SV% would be suspect for a few games.

However I've never been able to find good links for KHL stats. Any KHL.ru page link I've ever tried resolved to a "Page load error -- address not found" , including the link you posted. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a problem with Rogers' DNS servers.

Hey, I'm not sure what problems you are having exactly, but I am with Rogers and I can access the KHL site.. I've been able to access quite a few actually. I've had no problems at all..

8Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

smash88 wrote:
Hey, I'm not sure what problems you are having exactly, but I am with Rogers and I can access the KHL site.. I've been able to access quite a few actually. I've had no problems at all..

Just tried again. Same thing. And I've tried flushing my DNS cache. Maybe it's time to power-cycle the modem.

9Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:
Just tried again. Same thing. And I've tried flushing my DNS cache. Maybe it's time to power-cycle the modem.

Power-cycling the modem made no difference. Weird.

10Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:23 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
wprager wrote:

Hmm... That is weird..

11Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:43 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

smash88 wrote:
wprager wrote:
wprager wrote:

Hmm... That is weird..

I just did a lookup of the khl.ru at http://cqcounter.com/whois/. This gave me 89.111.189.140. Typed that into the location bar and got to the site. So it's definitely a DNS lookup problem. I wonder if I can manually add that to some local DNS table.

What location, in Ottawa, are you? I'm out here in Morgan's Grant. I bet we're on different DNS servers.

12Emery back to NHL? Empty found the goalie stats Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:58 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the goalie stats page (DNS-lookup-free):

http://89.111.189.140/statistics/?section=goalie

Emery is 5th in the league in SV% with .930, not bad, but those numbers look pretty high overall. 11 goalies with .925 or higher. Last year in the NHL (filtering out those with fewer than 10 games played) there were just 3.

Remember Mike Fountain? He's over there and has a SV% of .925 (Фаунтин Майк). Jussi Markaanen is .926.

So, perhaps, some of those stats need to be taken with a small grain of salt. Nevertheless, he's 5th among all goalies in SV%, has a decent 5-2 record, and his team is leading the league. And he's gotten really, really quick on his feet, apparently. Yeah, there could easily be some interest from the NHL.

13Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:57 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I just did a lookup of the khl.ru at http://cqcounter.com/whois/. This gave me 89.111.189.140. Typed that into the location bar and got to the site. So it's definitely a DNS lookup problem. I wonder if I can manually add that to some local DNS table.

What location, in Ottawa, are you? I'm out here in Morgan's Grant. I bet we're on different DNS servers.
Rogers has been having DNS issues lately. Last week they had a lot of problems and a lot of sites were inaccessible. Your "local DNS" is your "hosts" file. You can update that if you want to and it will resolve the IP for you. But I'd suggest you try and find out what's going on first.

Are you connected to a router? I'd suggest you give that a power cycle.

I'm on Rogers as well but don't use their DNS. I use OpenDNS.

14Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:01 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2008/10/07/ray_emery_back_in_nhl/

According to Pierre McGuire this was completely false.

15Emery back to NHL? Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Shabbs - is OpenDNS as fast as Rogers? I'm on Sympatico, but occ. have the same problem (although not as bad as wprager, from what it sounds).

I was looking at trying to build my hosts file, but it seemed like such a PITA; OpenDNS seems like such an easier option.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum