GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ray Emery to ANA?

+6
TheAvatar
ddt
shabbs
stempniaksen
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:27 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bob McKenzie along with other media types “in-the-know” are suggesting that Anaheim will be the landing spot for Ray Emery. Seems to make sense, all things considered. Anaheim could definitely use an experienced backup.

I almost feel a little bad for Emery given his injury troubles. If the guy had a little better work ethic, he could’ve been great (still might be, who knows). If he couldn’t show up to practice on time in Ottawa, what’re the odds he fairs better in a city like Anaheim? Maybe he’ll realize this is his last shot. Even a guy like Emery has got to understand that partying is not worth passing up millions of dollars in potential career earnings.

2Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

From everything I've read, including comments from his trainer who is very well respected, it appears as though Emery "gets it". Whether or not he figured it out in time or his body is capable of performing at the NHL level remains to be seen.

Last I heard Emery was simply looking for a landing spot in the AHL to get some game action in and work on his come back to the NHL. Anaheim sounds like a great place for him to get an opportunity almost right away to get back at least as a back up goalie. I'm willing to give the guy a break and forgive and forget. I hope he takes this opportunity and makes something out of it even it's just a few years more of playing time at the NHL level I'm sure he'll be happy with that.

3Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Bob McKenzie along with other media types “in-the-know” are suggesting that Anaheim will be the landing spot for Ray Emery. Seems to make sense, all things considered. Anaheim could definitely use an experienced backup.

I almost feel a little bad for Emery given his injury troubles. If the guy had a little better work ethic, he could’ve been great (still might be, who knows). If he couldn’t show up to practice on time in Ottawa, what’re the odds he fairs better in a city like Anaheim? Maybe he’ll realize this is his last shot. Even a guy like Emery has got to understand that partying is not worth passing up millions of dollars in potential career earnings.

I think you need to give the guy some credit as far as work ethic is concerned. The guy fought his way back from Russia and then fought back from what most thought was a career ending disability, the fact his name is even coming up in reference to an NHL job is a small miracle. I'm not an Emery backer at all, but the guy seems to have grown up since the buyout.

Also, gotta feel for a guy like McElhinney. He finally looks to have made the big time and he's likely going to go back to toiling in the minors. This guy just isn't as talented as a handful of other guys out there and was going to be pushed out sooner or later.

4Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I don’t think you want to roll into the Western Conference playoffs with McElhinney as your backup. A guy like Emery (assuming he can play) would be preferable, and I imagine he’ll sign a Nabokov-type deal. And no, Emery will not have to pass through waivers (thank god, that Nabokov drama is absurd).

5Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:41 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Why didn't ANA bite on Smith then?

6Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Seems Emery is itching to get back real soon...

Dreger: "Agent, JP Barry on Ray Emery's return to NHL. "Ray feels great and wants to be playing next week."

7Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Why didn't ANA bite on Smith then?

Because of the money and they know he sucks?

8Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:48 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

He's got a $2.2M cap hit... it would be pro-rated to less than half that... and this is his last year on the contract.

9Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I don’t think you want to roll into the Western Conference playoffs with McElhinney as your backup. A guy like Emery (assuming he can play) would be preferable, and I imagine he’ll sign a Nabokov-type deal. And no, Emery will not have to pass through waivers (thank god, that Nabokov drama is absurd).

Speaking of which, anyone seen the new Down Goes Brown/Bloge Salming video here? Pure gold!

10Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

He's got a $2.2M cap hit... it would be pro-rated to less than half that... and this is his last year on the contract.

Interesting but it still doesn't address the known suckdom issue. Wink

11Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:53 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Interesting but it still doesn't address the known suckdom issue. Wink
True... but if they're just looking for a backup...

12Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Exactly. In this case it's better to go with the evil you don't know (Emery) than the evil you do know (Smith).

13Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dreger: "Emery signs 2-way contract with Anaheim. Will be on waivers at noon. $500,000 (NHL). $105,000 (AhL)."

Waivers eh? Heh heh... here we go...

Update: Waivers are needed to play in the AHL, not the NHL.

14Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Dreger: "Emery signs 2-way contract with Anaheim. Will be on waivers at noon. $500,000 (NHL). $105,000 (AhL)."

Waivers eh? Heh heh... here we go...

Update: Waivers are needed to play in the AHL, not the NHL.

Watch the Isles put in a claim. LOL

15Ray Emery to ANA? Empty Re: Ray Emery to ANA? Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I will poop myself if the Islanders do that again. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Garth Snow. Emery would likely report anyways, he just wants to get his NHL career back on track.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum