GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Hockey News article about contract length

+6
shabbs
Acrobat
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
PKC
Hayden
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

In the wake of Eric Staal's seven-year contract extension with Carolina, here's a look at some other lengthy deals in recent years:

Rick DiPietro, N.Y. Islanders, 15 years, $67.5 million
Alex Ovechkin, Washington, 13 years, $124 million
Mike Richards, Philadelphia, 12 years, $69 million
Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay, 11 years, $85 million
Brian Campbell, Chicago, 8 years, $56.8 million
Daniel Briere, Philadelphia, 8 years, $52 million
Eric Staal, Carolina, 7 years, $57.75 million
Scott Gomez, N.Y. Rangers, 7 years, $51.5 million
Thomas Vanek, Buffalo, 7 years, $50 million
Jason Spezza, Ottawa, 7 years, $49 million
Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit, 7 years, $46.9 million
Patrik Elias, New Jersey, 7 years, $42 million
Ryan Malone, Tampa Bay, 7 years, $31.5 million
Dany Heatley, Ottawa, 6 years, $45 million
Dan Boyle, San Jose, 6 years, $40 million
Wade Redden, N.Y. Rangers, 6 years, $39 million
Dion Phaneuf, Calgary, 6 years, $39 million
Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary, 6 years, $35 million
Shawn Horcoff, Edmonton, 6 years, $33 million
David Legwand, Nashville, 6 years, $27 million
Milan Michalek, San Jose, 6 years, $26 million
Keith Ballard, Florida, 6 years, $25.2 million
Ales Hemsky, Edmonton, 6 years, $24.6 million
Brendan Morrow, Dallas, 6 years, $24.6 million
Tom Gilbert, Edmonton, 6 years, $24 million
Nathan Horton, Florida, 6 years, $24 million
Ryan Whitney, Pittsburgh, 6 years, $24 million
Brooks Orpik, Pittsburgh, 6 years, $22.5 million
Nick Schultz, Minnesota, 6 years, $21 million
Dustin Brown, Los Angeles, 6 years, $19.05 million
Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh, 5 years, $43.5 million
Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh, 5 years, $43.5 million

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Its pretty interesting to note that Crosby and Malkin extended only for 5 years, whereas Ovechkin extended for 13 years.

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

It would be interesting to note next to each, which of them have NTC's...not that I'm going to do it Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Its pretty interesting to note that Crosby and Malkin extended only for 5 years, whereas Ovechkin extended for 13 years.

Perhaps it has to do with the enormous amount it costs to insure a contract like that? Or maybe the GM of Pittsburgh isn't interested in having contracts of that length?

- Unknown Author

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
PKC wrote:Its pretty interesting to note that Crosby and Malkin extended only for 5 years, whereas Ovechkin extended for 13 years.

Perhaps it has to do with the enormous amount it costs to insure a contract like that? Or maybe the GM of Pittsburgh isn't interested in having contracts of that length?

He also has two of the top 5 young players in all of hockey with Crosby being the best young old or anything right now (even though I am not a big fan, whiny little franker). Washington only has one, they had to sign Ovechkin long term. His Mom insisted. Wang signing DiPietro was messed up but to tell you the truth, if he plays as well as he can for a even 5 more years of that deal it will be a pretty nice cap hit. Anyway I think each situation is different, not only the player, the owner, the GM, the team philosophy, the bank roll, all play into each decision. That being said I am glad to see they way Murray runs our team. He does a good job IMO.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Don't forget that Ovechkin's is a staged contract (six and then seven years, I think), so from what I understand, if he's injured during the first, the second doesn't come into play. But insurance was apparently a Wing Dang Doodle.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The NHL won't insure a contract over 7 years I believe.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The ones in bold are the ones I don't like.

Rick DiPietro, N.Y. Islanders, 15 years, $67.5 million
Alex Ovechkin, Washington, 13 years, $124 million
Mike Richards, Philadelphia, 12 years, $69 million
Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay, 11 years, $85 million
Brian Campbell, Chicago, 8 years, $56.8 million
Daniel Briere, Philadelphia, 8 years, $52 million
Eric Staal, Carolina, 7 years, $57.75 million
Scott Gomez, N.Y. Rangers, 7 years, $51.5 million
Thomas Vanek, Buffalo, 7 years, $50 million
Jason Spezza, Ottawa, 7 years, $49 million
Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit, 7 years, $46.9 million
Patrik Elias, New Jersey, 7 years, $42 million
Ryan Malone, Tampa Bay, 7 years, $31.5 million
Dany Heatley, Ottawa, 6 years, $45 million
Dan Boyle, San Jose, 6 years, $40 million
Wade Redden, N.Y. Rangers, 6 years, $39 million
Dion Phaneuf, Calgary, 6 years, $39 million
Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary, 6 years, $35 million
Shawn Horcoff, Edmonton, 6 years, $33 million
David Legwand, Nashville, 6 years, $27 million
Milan Michalek, San Jose, 6 years, $26 million
Keith Ballard, Florida, 6 years, $25.2 million
Ales Hemsky, Edmonton, 6 years, $24.6 million
Brendan Morrow, Dallas, 6 years, $24.6 million
Tom Gilbert, Edmonton, 6 years, $24 million
Nathan Horton, Florida, 6 years, $24 million
Ryan Whitney, Pittsburgh, 6 years, $24 million
Brooks Orpik, Pittsburgh, 6 years, $22.5 million
Nick Schultz, Minnesota, 6 years, $21 million
Dustin Brown, Los Angeles, 6 years, $19.05 million
Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh, 5 years, $43.5 million
Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh, 5 years, $43.5 million

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not bad, only 4. There are about 4 others that are questionable though.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:The NHL won't insure a contract over 7 years I believe.

My understanding, and this is based on a news/radio report so take it FWIW, is that it was done that way for insurance purposes. From my brief perusal of the CBA, there is nothing about contract length either, although admittedly, I didn't specifically look, and I don't really intend to.

Don't forget that there are a bunch of others there who have contracts over seven years that didn't have theirs' structured that way (at least not openly).

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Tom Gilbert is a young, smooth-skating, puck-moving, offensive D. $4 mil / yr might seem high, but he's going to be a good one. Think Meszaros but a little less physical and a lot less gaffe-prone. They paid a lot for him, I know, but that's the going rate and EDM has to pay to make sure they don't lose the players they want.

He doesn't belong in your list, Heater. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat -- too bad EDM is simply not going to let him go. They'll move Souray before it came to that.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Not bad, only 4. There are about 4 others that are questionable though.

I'd add:

• DiPietro - cap hit could work to their advantage, but it ties the GM's hands for far too long
  • Briere -- nice guy, good player, but so small, that he's an injury waiting to happen (after standing beside him, my wife said he probably really is about 5'7"-5'8")
  • Richards - he's good, but 12 years is a long time; at least Ovechkin's contract is split to protect the team. If he's a bust from year 3, or even year 7, then what?
  • Redden -- how was this not highlighted in the original list?
  • Malone - that much for one really good year?
  • Crosby - would have pushed for longer @ max
  • Malkin - would have pushed for longer but below max; if he wanted max, then trade for a boatload of picks/prospects

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Acrobat wrote:
shabbs wrote:The NHL won't insure a contract over 7 years I believe.

My understanding, and this is based on a news/radio report so take it FWIW, is that it was done that way for insurance purposes. From my brief perusal of the CBA, there is nothing about contract length either, although admittedly, I didn't specifically look, and I don't really intend to.

Don't forget that there are a bunch of others there who have contracts over seven years that didn't have theirs' structured that way (at least not openly).
Beyond the 7 year mark, if the player gets hurt, the team is on the hook for the
full amount of his contract. And that can get quite expensive.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:
504Heater wrote:Not bad, only 4. There are about 4 others that are questionable though.

I'd add:

• DiPietro - cap hit could work to their advantage, but it ties the GM's hands for far too long
  • Briere -- nice guy, good player, but so small, that he's an injury waiting to happen (after standing beside him, my wife said he probably really is about 5'7"-5'8")
  • Richards - he's good, but 12 years is a long time; at least Ovechkin's contract is split to protect the team. If he's a bust from year 3, or even year 7, then what?
  • Redden -- how was this not highlighted in the original list?
  • Malone - that much for one really good year?
  • Crosby - would have pushed for longer @ max
  • Malkin - would have pushed for longer but below max; if he wanted max, then trade for a boatload of picks/prospects

Redden is my number one, I can't believe I didn't highlight it. Worst contract signing I can think of. Malone I actually like. I was just pissed we didn't get him - the length is bad though, but he's a gritty dude.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:Tom Gilbert is a young, smooth-skating, puck-moving, offensive D. $4 mil / yr might seem high, but he's going to be a good one. Think Meszaros but a little less physical and a lot less gaffe-prone. They paid a lot for him, I know, but that's the going rate and EDM has to pay to make sure they don't lose the players they want.

He doesn't belong in your list, Heater. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat -- too bad EDM is simply not going to let him go. They'll move Souray before it came to that.

I highlighted it because they paid for potential - and I hate that. I'm getting diametrically opposed to paying these guys for what they may do down the road. Gilbert might be a bad example, but Meszaros is pretty much bang on to what I do not wish to do anymore.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum