GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Original" TGOR

+22
NEELY
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
tim1_2
PTFlea
spader
Jimbotron
ddt
SensHulk
LethalLehner
Cap'n Clutch
Jordo
Snuh
Acrobat
wprager
TheAvatar
beedub
Nasty Nas
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
26 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1"Original" TGOR Empty "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

'Tis the season for re-tooling and re-branding in the media world. There are fairly cryptic promos running on Team 1200 now announcing the return of the "Original" TGOR.

Frequent caller-inner turned radio "personality", Al Armstrong, revealed that J.R. will be back. I suppose Straightman Stu will be gone?

From Wikipedia:

The original cast of TGOR was Geoff Franklin, "Jungle" Jim Jerome, and John "J.R." Rodenburg hosting

2"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 am

I hate Stu, so much. Well not hate, but a strong dislike, I really dont hate anyone, that's just unhealthy.

3"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:I hate Stu, so much. Well not hate, but a strong dislike, I really dont hate anyone, that's just unhealthy.

My nickname of "Straightman" says it all regarding Stu. He should keep his mouth shut until it's time to read something.

4"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:44 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Does Stu even contribute in the morning? I thought he basically just listened... heh heh.

5"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 am

He literally should not be aloud to talk unless spoken too.

6"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:46 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Does Stu even contribute in the morning? I thought he basically just listened... heh heh.

He interrupts funny or informative segments with braindead observations or traffic reports.

7"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:58 am

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

oh my god I hope this is true. Stu needs to be gone. Makes the show so painful to listen to. Steve, J.R, and Jim is always good times.

Hopefully Stu will be gone from the SPB arena announcer position next. How did this guy ever get a job in radio let alone a position with the Sens.

8"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

JR is a know-it-all who's signature move is to cut off people with a "funny" remark, followed by a fake laugh and out.

9"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:15 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I really enjoyed JR, Jim and Steve. Stu provides the straight-laced counter to Jim and Steve.

Love JR's duck-quack laugh. Makes me laugh everytime he does, don't even care what he's talking about.

Maybe TGOR is becoming FGOR for four guys

10"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I wish they got rid of Jungle Jim; he's an idiot and he reasons (and speaks) like an 12 year old discovering dirty words

11"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:I hate Stu, so much. Well not hate, but a strong dislike, I really dont hate anyone, that's just unhealthy.
Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3

12"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:I wish they got rid of Jungle Jim; he's an idiot and he reasons (and speaks) like an 12 year old discovering dirty words

Agreed. Just not realistic.

He chalks it up to ADD or whatever. The fact is, he's a self-centered jerk. He can be lucid and insightful as long as it's a topic that interests HIM, otherwise he has to derail things with toilet humour.

13"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

For a while there it was Steve, Steve and Stu. This clip was very appropriate during those days:

(gotta listen until 1:59 )

14"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:49 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Stu is only there to try to keep things somewhat on the rails.
Before he was brought in, Buzz, Steve and Jim had no concept of segments, topics or decorum; Stu was supposed to fix that while maintaining the listeners' interest.

He failed.
Miserably.

(my understanding is that JR had requested a move away from TGOR or whatever the morning show was called then as he felt it had become too juvenile, so maybe if he's slated to come back, it's a sign that they're moving to a more "family-friendly" programming, and that Jim is being reigned in somewhat.)

15"Original" TGOR Empty Re: "Original" TGOR Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

Acrobat wrote:Stu is only there to try to keep things somewhat on the rails.
Before he was brought in, Buzz, Steve and Jim had no concept of segments, topics or decorum; Stu was supposed to fix that while maintaining the listeners' interest.

He failed.
Miserably.

(my understanding is that JR had requested a move away from TGOR or whatever the morning show was called then as he felt it had become too juvenile, so maybe if he's slated to come back, it's a sign that they're moving to a more "family-friendly" programming, and that Jim is being reigned in somewhat.)

I'd say Steve and Stu are leaps and bounds above Jim when it comes to the formats of talk radio. Both trained and studied the craft of radio, and they know their Dung.

As annoying as Stu my be,the guy has promoted himself so well in this city that he's now making some really good coin. Good on him!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum