GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kane Incident 'Blown Out of Proportion', says taxi driver's attorney

+8
Vandelay
TheAvatar
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Judgest thou lest ye be judged, shabbseth (I'm not sure if that's a question or a warning, punctuation withheld)

I had to read this a couple of times; good thing I haven't had a drink yet ... Wink
I am well into my 4th and speeding up...

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

And now YahooSports adds its voice to the Hockey Media revising their position on the Patrick Kane case...

AT THE MOMENT, KANE NOT GUILTY OF ANYTHING
Sean Leahy, YahooSports.com, August 11, 2009

In the time since the story of Patrick Kane's(notes) arrest broke, he's been convicted over a thousand times. When the cab driver, Jan Radecki, who was allegedly assaulted and robbed, told his side of the story to a local news station, Kane was convicted another thousand times.

When the mug shot of the Chicago Blackhawks young star was released on Sunday, he was convicted even more.

What do we really have to base opinions off of in this case?

We only have the events from Radecki's side that he told Buffalo news station WIVB in this video. We don't have the story through Patrick or his cousin's eyes.

We also have Kane's lawyer, Paul Cambria, saying that this issue is overblown and his agent, Pat Brisson, confident that the Blackhawks forward will be exonerated.

Oh, and the cab driver's lawyer agrees with things being exaggerated. Is this just setting up for an out-of-court settlement or are the "jump to conclusions" mats out in full-force?

As Cambria pointed out, nothing in the police report indicated that Kane was intoxicated. Grabbing a cab at 5 a.m. in an area of Buffalo that is full of bars would lead one to believe that alcohol had to be involved, but wouldn't that have come out already? Wouldn't Radecki have, in his statement or television interview, noted that the two kids he's accusing of assaulting and robbing him were drunk?

The trial for Patrick Kane has apparently already ended and he's seen guilty through the eyes of many that are basing their opinions on the story currently out there.

A story I might add, that has still yet to be proven true and features only one side.

Kane's image on the cover on the upcoming videogame NHL10 is already being questioned. Speculation is running rampant about his future in Chicago. Rumors about Kane's attitude and c0ckiness are beginning to creep into the mainstream. Where is the support for Chicago's young star?

If the athlete in question had past issues with the law (like Radecki apparently does), a shady background (according to Kane's lawyer), or was a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, I could at least understand the public's early urge to convict.

While not right, I could see why they'd judge so soon. In this case, we have one of the National Hockey League's rising superstars, a kid who's just 20-years old and been nothing but an ambassador for the game in Chicago and his hometown of Buffalo in just two-years as a professional.

Can we let the legal system play out before the kid is labeled for the rest of his career undeservedly?

It may turn out that Kane was indeed guilty of a crime and he'll be punished for his actions by the legal system and the NHL. It may also end up that the events are truly "blown out of proportion", as the lawyer's on both sides have stated.

If he's innocent, will those in the media who've scolded a yet-to-be proven guilty 20-year old kid ask for forgiveness? Likely not.

The case against the Duke University lacrosse players wasn't that long ago and showed that initial allegations don't always end up being completely factual.

As we stand, early in this story, Patrick Kane should be given a bit more benefit of the doubt in this case until it fully develops.

Last edited by davetherave on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

davetherave wrote:And now YahooSports adds its voice to the Hockey Media revising their position on the Patrick Kane case...

In the time since the story of Patrick Kane's(notes) arrest broke, he's been convicted over a thousand times. When the cab driver, Jan Radecki, who was allegedly assaulted and robbed, told his side of the story to a local news station, Kane was convicted another thousand times.

When the mug shot of the Chicago Blackhawks young star was released on Sunday, he was convicted even more.

What do we really have to base opinions off of in this case?

We only have the events from Radecki's side that he told Buffalo news station WIVB in this video. We don't have the story through Patrick or his cousin's eyes.

We also have Kane's lawyer, Paul Cambria, saying that this issue is overblown and his agent, Pat Brisson, confident that the Blackhawks forward will be exonerated.

Oh, and the cab driver's lawyer agrees with things being exaggerated. Is this just setting up for an out-of-court settlement or are the "jump to conclusions" mats out in full-force?

As Cambria pointed out, nothing in the police report indicated that Kane was intoxicated. Grabbing a cab at 5 a.m. in an area of Buffalo that is full of bars would lead one to believe that alcohol had to be involved, but wouldn't that have come out already? Wouldn't Radecki have, in his statement or television interview, noted that the two kids he's accusing of assaulting and robbing him were drunk?

The trial for Patrick Kane has apparently already ended and he's seen guilty through the eyes of many that are basing their opinions on the story currently out there.

A story I might add, that has still yet to be proven true and features only one side.

Kane's image on the cover on the upcoming videogame NHL10 is already being questioned. Speculation is running rampant about his future in Chicago. Rumors about Kane's attitude and Wang are beginning to creep into the mainstream. Where is the support for Chicago's young star?

If the athlete in question had past issues with the law (like Radecki apparently does), a shady background (according to Kane's lawyer), or was a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, I could at least understand the public's early urge to convict.

While not right, I could see why they'd judge so soon. In this case, we have one of the National Hockey League's rising superstars, a kid who's just 20-years old and been nothing but an ambassador for the game in Chicago and his hometown of Buffalo in just two-years as a professional.

Can we let the legal system play out before the kid is labeled for the rest of his career undeservedly?

It may turn out that Kane was indeed guilty of a crime and he'll be punished for his actions by the legal system and the NHL. It may also end up that the events are truly "blown out of proportion", as the lawyer's on both sides have stated.

If he's innocent, will those in the media who've scolded a yet-to-be proven guilty 20-year old kid ask for forgiveness? Likely not.

The case against the Duke University lacrosse players wasn't that long ago and showed that initial allegations don't always end up being completely factual.

As we stand, early in this story, Patrick Kane should be given a bit more benefit of the doubt in this case until it fully develops.

What does Kane's wedding tackle has to do with any of this? Shrug

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
davetherave wrote:And now YahooSports adds its voice to the Hockey Media revising their position on the Patrick Kane case...

Kane's image on the cover on the upcoming videogame NHL10 is already being questioned. Speculation is running rampant about his future in Chicago. Rumors about Kane's attitude and Wang are beginning to creep into the mainstream. Where is the support for Chicago's young star?

What does Kane's wedding tackle has to do with any of this? Shrug

:^^^^: Laughing3

Evidently, quite a bit.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some more coverage...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/235060-patrick-kane-robs-and-assaults-a-cab-driver-but-can-you-blame-him

This is what made me laugh though:

"If someone locks me in a car, I'm punching them in the face too."

HA HA!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NY Grand Jury to hear the case....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/08/12/Hawks-Kane-Arrest-0/

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The case was pushed out to next Thursday so Kane could attend the three-day USA Olympic Orientation Camp starting on Monday...

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=313458

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How nice of them. Isn' tit just the grand jury that has to decide whether to prosecute? Do they really need Kane there, since his lawyers will be doing most of the talking anyway?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:How nice of them. Isn' tit just the grand jury that has to decide whether to prosecute? Do they really need Kane there, since his lawyers will be doing most of the talking anyway?
Kane will need to be there as well as the taxi driver... they'll question everyone and decide if there's enough to prosecute...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Grand Jury case was today...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287605

They'll have their findings next week.

Not sure if Kane and the taxi driver were there... I would have thought they might have been... but maybe not.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Kane's seem to be working on a plea deal to avoid jail time and get lesser charges...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288096

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Grand Jury expected to announce charges today...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/08/19/kane_charges_grand_jury/

Sounds like they are still working on a plea bargain... but no deal yet.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More coverage from TSN/CTV....

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=14309.html?cid=rsstsn

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They've been indicted on lesser charges...

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4409633

An Erie County, N.Y. grand jury has dismissed the felony robbery charge against Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane and his cousin James, but both have been indicted on lesser charges.

The indictments on assault in the third degree and theft of services are misdemeanors, and a harassment indictment is considered a violation level offense.

Patrick Kane, 20, and James Kane, 21, will be arraigned at 2 p.m. ET on Thursday.

The Kanes were arrested after an incident with cab driver Jan Radecki, 62, during the early morning hours of Aug. 9 in Buffalo.

First time I've seen ESPN beat TSN...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sportsnet has coverage as well:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/08/19/kane_charges_grand_jury/

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Tsn:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288174

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

UPDATE: Patrick Kane has been indicted on misdemeanor assault and theft charges

Rest of the story here.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Hawks+star+Kane+cousin+indicted/1909268/story.html

He's lucky he didn't get charged with 2nd degree robbery, that would have been ugly.

Say bye bye to 2010 NHL cover Kane. There's no way you're going to be on it.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It will be interesting to see what EA Sports does... will the curse live on? Stay tuned...

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum