GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kane Incident 'Blown Out of Proportion', says taxi driver's attorney

+8
Vandelay
TheAvatar
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/patrick-kane-chicago-blackhawks-buffalo-cabdriver-lawyer-for-buffalo-cabbie-this-has-been-blown-out.html

This from just a few hours ago, per the Buffalo News and the Chicago Tribune.

Lawyer for Buffalo cabbie: This has been 'blown out of proportion'
August 10, 2009 10:10 AM

The lawyer for the Buffalo cab driver who alleges Blackhawks star Patrick Kane was involved in a robbery and assault on him Sunday morning said the incident has been "blown out of proportion."

Kane, 20, and his cousin, James Kane, 21, are alleged to have punched cab driver Jan Radecki and taken back money they had given him after the driver told them he didn't have 20 cents in coins to give them change, according to the Buffalo police report.

The report said the fare was $13.80 and the two Kanes had paid the driver $15. Radecki told the Tribune Sunday, "They broke my glasses, they ripped my clothes ... all over 20 cents."

Radecki's lawyer, Andrew LoTempio, appeared on WGN-AM 720 this morning (full audio here) and seemed to downplay the incident.

"It's pretty much been blown out of proportion," LoTempio told WGN. "It's a dispute over the cab fee and unfortunately Mr. Radecki didn't recognize Mr. Kane and just thought they were a couple of college kids.

"Some of the cab drivers here have a policy of not unlocking the doors until they get paid because they get beat on their fees by the college kids and that just kind of blew up."

Kane and his relative were arrested about 5 a.m. after leaving Chippewa Street, an area in Buffalo known for its nightlife. The police report said the Kanes were picked up by Radecki while downtown around 4 a.m. After driving them to Eastwood Place, a residential street a few miles away, the altercation occurred and a witness called police.

The Kanes were charged with second-degree robbery, a Class C felony, and fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services, both Class A misdemeanors.

LoTempio added that he believed the charges would "absolutely not" rise to the level of a felony, calling it a "regular kid incident." The lawyer also said, "I think we should be able to work things out" with Kane.

-- Chris Kuc (for the Chicago Tribune)

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hmmm....I hope it's all blown out of proportion.

Of course they are going to be able to work things out, who ever thought otherwise.

That being said, if The Hawks were ever going to make a choice between the two young stars, it's been made.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Hmmm....I hope it's all blown out of proportion.

He must have seen an attractive settlement offer already.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Hmmm....I hope it's all blown out of proportion.

He must have seen an attractive settlement offer already.

I think you are bang on there for sure. That's exactly what this sounds like.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Anyone else bothered by this part of the article:

"It's pretty much been blown out of proportion," LoTempio told WGN. "It's a dispute over the cab fee and unfortunately Mr. Radecki didn't recognize Mr. Kane and just thought they were a couple of college kids.

Easy to make that mistake... they're 20 and 21 years old for cying out loud. I fail to see how recognizing who they were would have made the outcome of this any better...

Anyone?

Sounds like he's been offered some cash to keep it quiet and nice...

$$$ settles most disputes and also seemed to cause this one.

Nice work by Kane on figuring out this guys asking price so quickly.

My guess is $100,000

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:Anyone else bothered by this part of the article:

Easy to make that mistake... they're 20 and 21 years old for cying out loud. I fail to see how recognizing who they were would have made the outcome of this any better...

Anyone?

Sounds like he's been offered some cash to keep it quiet and nice...

Very strange stuff for sure. Who cares who the punk kid is, he's a punk kid, period. Would he have just said, "oh sorry Mr. Kane, go ahead and take my money and don't tip me, it's all good because it's you??". Silly comment on the lawyers part for sure. It really seems that he may have gotten a pretty settlement already, and this will be dropped pretty quickly.

How much I wonder?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I bet the settlement is $100,013.80.

Laughing3

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Of course they are going to be able to work things out, who ever thought otherwise.

That being said, if The Hawks were ever going to make a choice between the two young stars, it's been made.

Wasn't it made the instant Toews stepped onto the ice? He's a better all-around hockey player IMO.

However, we're all kidding ourselves if we think Chicago will let one of the Big 3 go (Keith). They'll trade what they have to trade (Barker, Byfuglien, Sharp Ahhhhh! , Versteeg), whatever they have to do to get under the cap and retain all 3 of these guys.

Just bad cap management, that's what the Hawks are guilty of, but they'll shed some of these contracts for sure.

shabbs wrote:I bet the settlement is $100,013.80.

Laughing3

:^^^: :##: :^^^:

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If I were the lawyer, part of the settlement would have to be Kane losing that happy-Donkey weak mouthguard of his.

Last edited by SeawaySensFan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Like I've said before, Kane has always had this attitude. Even in the OHL he had a sense of entitlement, putting himself on a pedestal.

Whatever the bastard gets he deserves.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Of course they are going to be able to work things out, who ever thought otherwise.

Wasn't it made the instant Toews stepped onto the ice? He's a better all-around hockey player IMO.

However, we're all kidding ourselves if we think Chicago will let one of the Big 3 go (Keith). They'll trade what they have to trade (Barker, Byfuglien, Sharp Ahhhhh! , Versteeg), whatever they have to do to get under the cap and retain all 3 of these guys.

Just bad cap management, that's what the Hawks are guilty of, but they'll shed some of these contracts for sure.

May I ask again, now Byfuglien got $3M?? I know he's pretty good and had some pretty decent stats, but $3M, at this point in his career? Very odd. (Again, I wouldn't mind having this guy on my team, but not for that much) I really don't know how you trade him. This could hurt them a lot, they might be screwed with that salary, and that might be the reason that they won't be able to re-sign Sharp.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum