GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL tells Bolts owners to buy each other out: report

+3
Tuk Tuk
Riprock
davetherave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

NHL sets buyout plan
Damian Cristodero, Tampa-St Petersburg Times, August 8 2009

The NHL apparently has decided the Lightning's ownership situation is unsustainable and set up a process in which squabbling co-owners Len Barrie and Oren Koules can buy each other out.

Barrie has the first shot in an exclusive 60-day window that apparently runs out in mid to late September. If Barrie fails, Koules gets his chance.

Purchase price is not the only issue. The parties also must prove they can handle the substantial debt obligations to former owner Palace Sports & Entertainment.

If either Barrie or Koules meets those parameters during his exclusive window, the other must sell. In this way, the league hopes to bring stability to one of its most troubled franchises. How important is that? Let Phil Esposito tell you.

"Very, very, very," said the Lightning founder, who dealt with a Japanese group that forged an unsteady course in the franchise's earliest years.

"I can't emphasize enough how important it is. Then everything falls into place. Good management comes with that. Good players come with that."

What happens if both sides fail?

They might just have to live with each other; or the league might find a buyer; or perhaps Palace Sports will take back control. The former owner financed about $70 million of the $200 million purchase price and loaned OK Hockey another $30 million in operating capital.

No one is commenting; not the league, which declined several requests; not Palace Sports CEO Tom Wilson; not Koules, Barrie or anyone in their entourages, as per a gag order issued by commissioner Gary Bettman.

It is clear, though, the league is forcing a resolution.

The buyout windows are at least the third step in a plan laid out by Bettman at a June 23 meeting at the league's New York offices, where he demanded the owners work out their financial and philosophical differences about how to run the team.

Bettman made sure everyone knew his place. Koules is CEO and governor and, with general manager Brian Lawton, handles much of the day-to-day running of the organization. Lawton, as head of hockey operations, is the point man for all transactions (in other words, no meddling by the owners), and Barrie must be consulted on any transaction of more than $2 million.

The commissioner also established deadlines.

Barrie was ordered to produce a $10 million irrevocable letter of credit by July 17 to establish he could cover his portion of the team's projected losses next season and provide a bit of a cushion. The NHL never confirmed that happened, but deputy commissioner Bill Daly said at the time he was "satisfied where things stand."

Barrie also met an Aug. 1 deadline for repaying a $3 million personal loan from Koules, who covered a cash call last season that Barrie missed.

They were positive steps in creating the stability the owners say they want, and Lawton has had a superb summer as he significantly bolstered the team's blue line, cut payroll and is in the hunt for free agent wing Alex Tanguay.

Still, several aspects of the situation are unknown.

Why was Barrie given first crack at the buyout? How much will the buyouts cost? Will Koules' buyout window be of similar duration?

What is known is unless one or the other comes up with cash or a bank check (quite an assignment in this economy), any new investors will be subject to the league's due diligence and must be approved by 23 of the 30 members of the Board of Governors. The deal also must be approved by Palace Sports.

In other words, the process likely will not be quick.

"I know there's a passion with them," Esposito said of the co-owners.

The question is, does either have the money?

Damian Cristodero can be reached at cristodero@sptimes.com.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

And yet Jim Balsillie still cannot own a team....

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:And yet Jim Balsillie still cannot own a team....

:KKK:

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

maybe the new owner can be Balsillie. How many times do you think Bettman will deny him a team eh

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

Sens19 wrote:maybe the new owner can be Balsillie. How many times do you think Bettman will deny him a team eh

Laughing3

I can see about 3 more times on the horizen.

It really is nothing more than a complete power struggle between Bettman and him.
The Bettman vs Balsillie thread that you guys have has been one of the most fascinating reads on this site for me.

Bettman has the backing of the current NHL owners though, that is the scary thing. Balsillie was recently voted down by a vote of 0-26-3. You would think that if anyone on earth walked into a room of equals, someone would stand up and vouch for you. Not with Balsillie, there is more to this story, but we - the fans, are not privy to the whole story right now.

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

FireOnIce wrote:
Sens19 wrote:maybe the new owner can be Balsillie. How many times do you think Bettman will deny him a team eh

Laughing3

I can see about 3 more times on the horizen.

It really is nothing more than a complete power struggle between Bettman and him.
The Bettman vs Balsillie thread that you guys have has been one of the most fascinating reads on this site for me.

Bettman has the backing of the current NHL owners though, that is the scary thing. Balsillie was recently voted down by a vote of 0-26-3. You would think that if anyone on earth walked into a room of equals, someone would stand up and vouch for you. Not with Balsillie, there is more to this story, but we - the fans, are not privy to the whole story right now.

Ya I'm sure there is more to it, and I've read some of the other owners opinions. But the truth remains that Balsille's bid will be the most beneficial to the creditors and the city of Glendale and to the NHL because the Coyotes are just losing waaay too much money. It's amazing how big this war has gotten that Bettman has gotten the other leagues involved. All in all, I don't think Balisille will get his team anytime soon but seeing piss off Bettman has got to be fun

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Unbelievable how insane "the rules" inside the circle are...

They should rename the NHL to be the NBL... the "No Balsillie League"... anyone but JimBal can join.

Like the "NO HOMER" club on the Simpson's... anyone but Homer.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Unbelievable how insane "the rules" inside the circle are...

They should rename the NHL to be the NBL... the "No Balsillie League"... anyone but JimBal can join.

Like the "NO HOMER" club on the Simpson's... anyone but Homer.

Im pretty sure it was the " No Homer's" club lol... There was aloud to be 1 Homer but not 2 :^^^^:

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Laughing3

Nuff said.

Oh yeah....this situation isn't going to get ugly.

I wonder how Barrie got the first shot? He won a Bettman game of Eeny Meeny Miney Moe?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum