GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Empty Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:47 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

From the Ottawa Sun -
By DEREK PUDDICOMBE, City Hall Bureau

"Both charges are dismissed." With those words, Justice Douglas Cunningham rendered his verdict today in the influence-peddling trial of Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien.
As Courtroom 37 erupted, Cunnigham ended his hour-long summation of the case brought against O'Brien, who will now return to his duties as city mayor. The case hinged mainly on the testimony of accuser Terry Kilrea, who was called "not a particularly reliable witness," by the judge during his summation.
As the final verdict was read at about 11:05 a.m., O'Brien began to celebrate with his family, friends and supporters in the court. His wife, Colleen, reading the tea leaves in the moments before the final verdict was read out, had relaxed visibly, closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder.
Later outside the courthouse at about noon, O'Brien briefly thanked his supporters and said he wants to get back to work quickly."I can look my two boys in the eyes and say their family name is what it was before," O'Brien said, adding he wants to "put this sad ordeal behind us and move forward."

After a lengthy criminal trial that began three months ago, O'Brien was found not guilty of offering mayoral candidate Kilrea an appointment with the National Parole Board in return for dropping out of the race in the summer of 2006. Kilrea eventually dropped out of the race in August 2006 after both Kilrea and O'Brien admitted they met to discuss the election.
During the summation, Justice Cunnngham continually questioned the testimony of Crown witnesses, either suggesting it was not credible, or that it carried little weight in proving the allegations.
Obrien acknowledged those comments in his own statement, calling it a "clear insight into what actually happened."
Before and after O'Brien was charged with two counts under the Criminal Code of Canada in December 2007, he maintained he never offered Kilrea anything to take himself out of the race.
Kilrea was on the stand for a week being grilled by O'Brien's defence lawyer Michael Edelson who argued it was Kilrea that brought up the appointment and not O'Brien.
"This judgement is as firm a vindication ... as you will ever see in a criminal case," Edelson told a large scrum of reporters as he offered his own comments on the decision. "The judge by and large adopted our position"
He was also asked if O'Brien is angry about the allegations. "That's a postmortem for another day. I think he's just relieved that it's over," Edelson replied.
If convicted, O'Brien would have had to give up the mayor's position. He could also have faced fines and/or jail time.

2Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Empty Re: Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:49 pm

This was a waste of time, tax payers money, and actual news paper and TV time.

Someone's head should be on the chopping block for 2 years of this crap.

3Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Empty Re: Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I was planning on picking up an Ottawa paper to read about the upcoming verdict this morning at Mac's in Morrisburg.

The only paper with mayor O'Brien on the cover had a headline that read "Will Batboy Ever Find True Love?", though.

4Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Empty Re: Mayor O'Brien - Not Guilty Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good, that's now over. What a waste of resources.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum