GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers to fix "inconsistent program title" issues!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just read over on DigitalHome.ca that, in a letter explaining the grid rearrangement, Rogers also said that they will resolve the issue of program titles (in the guide) changing to add/remove attributes such as HD, 5.1 and so on.

If you own a Rogers (Sicentific America) PVR you will understand and agree when I say, this is the best news I'd heard all day. If Heatley gets traded today, I will be happy and excited, but this will still be bigger for me. This change has been coming for 5 years, I believe.

The only thing that would make it better is if this was due to a firmware upgrade which, of course, could carry other goodies with it. However, given how it is going to be "fixed" at the same time as they realign the grid (August 25), I think it has more to do with the EPG data (either changing their provider, or forcing the provider to deliver "clean" data).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Finally. How many times have recordings not happened because of the title having "(HD)" or "(HD 5.1)" in it. So damn frustrating.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Finally. How many times have recordings not happened because of the title having "(HD)" or "(HD 5.1)" in it. So damn frustrating.

Terminator: The Sarah Connors Chronicles -- I believe it was pretty much every episode this season. Either that, or the sheer length of the program title (with all the HD adornments and so on) leads to another bug which prevents the program from being recorded a second time.

On that note, I had seen it posted that the format for the guide data (the XML schema, I guess) provides for a separate tag for the program attributes (such as HD, 5.1 and so on). TVGuide Canada put those attributes in the program title, while other providers put them in their separate tags. It is possible that the data coming from the networks/broadcasters munges this together, but since other guide data providers do not seem to suffer from this, it is likely not a difficult matter to handle.

Anyhow, all that to say, that without the "adornments" that title would have been shorter. Unfortunately FOX, in their infinite wisdom, cancled Chronicles while renewing Dollhouse (speaking of which, the unaired 13th episode of Dollhouse has been leaked and is quite good).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, I'll believe it when I see it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum