GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Clouston finally talks

+7
wprager
Mojo
SensFan71
LeCaptain
asq2
Tuk Tuk
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:08 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

As has already been pointed out more than once, Neil was not a heavyweight fighter to begin with, although he was a willing competitor on most occasions. The role of the enforcer is all but gone now, so we don't need a designated fighter on this team. Neil was a fairly prolific hitter, but it seems that that role can be more cheaply replaced by the likes of Winchester, Bass even Schubert. There was a time when Neil contributed offensively, but not lately. I'd be willing to give him $1.5M for the intangibles and because he was a fan favorite, but I questioned $1.7 *and* the 4 year term. If that was truly the offer and he really turned it down, then I don't feel at all bad about losing him. Maybe he was not as dedicated to the team as we all thought. Imagine, a 3-goal man who thinks he's worth more than $1.7M. Whoever gets him for $2-2.5, good luck. Hope you don't play as too many times, but as I said before, he's not exactly a heavyweight.

17Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:11 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:As has already been pointed out more than once, Neil was not a heavyweight fighter to begin with, although he was a willing competitor on most occasions. The role of the enforcer is all but gone now, so we don't need a designated fighter on this team. Neil was a fairly prolific hitter, but it seems that that role can be more cheaply replaced by the likes of Winchester, Bass even Schubert. There was a time when Neil contributed offensively, but not lately. I'd be willing to give him $1.5M for the intangibles and because he was a fan favorite, but I questioned $1.7 *and* the 4 year term. If that was truly the offer and he really turned it down, then I don't feel at all bad about losing him. Maybe he was not as dedicated to the team as we all thought. Imagine, a 3-goal man who thinks he's worth more than $1.7M. Whoever gets him for $2-2.5, good luck. Hope you don't play as too many times, but as I said before, he's not exactly a heavyweight.

I would laugh if its the Leafs, Neil is a Burkian type player or so I have heard, and they have money to burn, so let it happen, Winchester will lay him out in the first Battle of Ontario game.

18Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mojo wrote:I got to be honest, I don't like the timing of this. Although he is not saying anything necessarily negative about Heatley, neither is he casting him in a positive light (not that he should). Why is Clouston not making these comments tomorrow when hopefully Heatley has been traded? He has kept quiet this whole time, why not just wait another day?
Meh... I don't have an issue with the timing. The press has probably been hounding him since this happened for a sound bite and he obliged with a generic and classy response. I don't think we'll ever hear him vent on it to be honest, at least not in the press. Let the GMs do that. The coach is there to coach.

19Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:
I would laugh if its the Leafs, Neil is a Burkian type player or so I have heard, and they have money to burn, so let it happen, Winchester will lay him out in the first Battle of Ontario game.

Didn't Winchester get fighting lessons from Neil last year? He'd better hope he lays him out good, otherwise Neil will pound the stuffing out of him. I'm sure Chris didn't teach him *everything* he knows. Always prudent to save some.

20Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:32 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:As has already been pointed out more than once, Neil was not a heavyweight fighter to begin with, although he was a willing competitor on most occasions. The role of the enforcer is all but gone now, so we don't need a designated fighter on this team. Neil was a fairly prolific hitter, but it seems that that role can be more cheaply replaced by the likes of Winchester, Bass even Schubert. There was a time when Neil contributed offensively, but not lately. I'd be willing to give him $1.5M for the intangibles and because he was a fan favorite, but I questioned $1.7 *and* the 4 year term. If that was truly the offer and he really turned it down, then I don't feel at all bad about losing him. Maybe he was not as dedicated to the team as we all thought. Imagine, a 3-goal man who thinks he's worth more than $1.7M. Whoever gets him for $2-2.5, good luck. Hope you don't play as too many times, but as I said before, he's not exactly a heavyweight.
The thing I'd miss about Neil if he walked is the fact that when he was on the ice, the other team had their heads up, he instilled some fear because of what he could do with a vicious (and often illegal) hit. Winch, Bass and Schubie don't instill that kind of fear on the other team like Neil did.

But, as you said, no way is that role worth the money he's been rumoured to be seeking.

21Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:34 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't see Winchester laying out Neil. I'm not impressed with the Gorilla squad mentality Burke is hoping to build in TO.

- Unknown Author

22Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Didn't Winchester get fighting lessons from Neil last year? He'd better hope he lays him out good, otherwise Neil will pound the stuffing out of him. I'm sure Chris didn't teach him *everything* he knows. Always prudent to save some.

Spezza's quite a fighter, Markov always has his head up when # 19 hits the ice :^^^^:

23Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:36 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't see Winchester laying out Neil. I'm not impressed with the Gorilla squad mentality Burke is hoping to build in TO.

Winchester is starting to find out that he can demolish NHL players. Let's not forget, the upcoming NHL season will only be his second.

24Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't see Winchester laying out Neil. I'm not impressed with the Gorilla squad mentality Burke is hoping to build in TO.

Winchester is starting to find out that he can demolish NHL players. Let's not forget, the upcoming NHL season will only be his second.

I can't wait until he is more comfortable doing that, he is going to hurt some people with his good clean hits, yes, unlike Neil, his hits are clean.

25Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:03 am

shabbs wrote:
The thing I'd miss about Neil if he walked is the fact that when he was on the ice, the other team had their heads up, he instilled some fear because of what he could do with a vicious (and often illegal) hit. Winch, Bass and Schubie don't instill that kind of fear on the other team like Neil did.

But, as you said, no way is that role worth the money he's been rumoured to be seeking.

This properly sums it up...

26Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:37 am

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

He can lay him out with a bodycheck not necessarily a punch. Winchester is big kid and he can throw a mean hit.

If Burke wants to build a goon squad let him, we'll skate circles around those chumps!

27Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:39 am

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Neil's best attribute in fighting is the fact that he can take a punch and keep going, you can't learn that.

28Clouston finally talks - Page 2 Empty Re: Clouston finally talks Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:47 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Schubert has had some hits of questionable legality. Problem was that he was not given regular minutes, what with filling in on D and all. And last year, of course, he was hardly given minutes at all.

Moot point, anyway, since think he'll be moving on FingersCrossed .

Winchester, Bass, Fisher, A-Train, Phillips, Alfie -- we have a lot of players who like to hit. Kalrsson enjoys the physical stuff as well, but he will have to grow a bit first. Regin has some size, O'Brien as well, then Wiercioch -- again, once he grows into his frame. I'm not sure who will take over Neil's "keep-your-head-up" role, but I have no problem thinking we have lots of possibilities. Who knows, maybe with Neil out of the lineup the others will not simply assume that it's his job and actually start doing more of it themselves.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum