GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sedins Each Seeking 12 Year, $63 Million contracts

+4
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
asq2
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Exactly, which is why it is laughable to think that we can trade so many of our players for a nice return.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:
10M per year for 2/3 of your top line isn't bad.

Exactly. And they're really good too.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:If Leafs sign these guys, they are screwed, and they can kiss Rick Nash goodbye.

I think they can afford all three, depending on which contracts they move.

I just hope Nash stays in Columbus.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:Why are we dumping Smith and Kelly again?

Because having seen only 4 Sens' play-off games in the past two seasons, we've forgotten how much more valuable those types of players are in the post-season than regular season. Wink

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Thought we needed something else to talk about. Wink

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282198

According to a report on Swedish website expressen.se, Daniel and Henrik Sedin are looking for identical 12-year contracts worth $63 million each, similar to the one signed by fellow countryman Henrik Zetterberg with the Detroit Red Wings.

While the twins enjoyed solid seasons with the Canucks last year, co-leading the team in scoring with 82 points each while each adding 10 points during the Canucks' playoff run, they have yet to reach the same level as Zetterberg who captured the Conn Smythe trophy last season while leading his Red Wings to the Stanley Cup.

The brother's have expressed an interest in remaining in Vancouver, while the Canucks' have stated that it is a priority to re-sign the twins, however it is believed that a $63 million price tag is much more than general manager Mike Gillis would be willing to spend.

Not a terrible cap hit right now, but that's a lot of money to spend. I'd assume they'd retire before the contract runs out.

Now, does Burke give that to them?

of course he would, he just wouldn't give it to heatley, I am not certain if they are worth that, what have they won? not even a 2nd round series if I am not mistaken.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Meh... I think Van will look for something closer to 5 years...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I didn't think long-term contracts were in style any more. Now that the cap is supposed to go down, a long-term contract is a potentially bad investment. Obviously they wouldn't play for the full term, likely retiring when they are 38, but even 10 years is way, way too long.

Or at least that's my take on it. Obviously I'm not a GM, but how many long-term contracts we've seen, recently, that have come back to bit the GM in the rump? While it would be a truism to say that none of the long-term contracts signed recently have worked out well (we have to wait until those contracts expire), my gut feel is that more than a few of them, even those given to players that deserve them, may not work out due to injuries. And of the remaining ones, how many will be a Redden?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OMG, I'm in agreement with Bettman:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/04/22/bettman-casts-leery-eye-at-nhl-s-long-term-deals.aspx

“If I were operating a club, under a cap system, I would try to opt for
shorter contracts because they give you more flexibility,” Bettman told
the DetroitNews. “Maybe my words will become more prophetic if the cap
flattens out or even recedes a little bit because of the economy.

“Maybe
some teams who have long-term commitments at certain levels will be a
little tighter under the cap and it will be more difficult.”
In short, there’s no easy answer.

“My
sense is, and it’s not a condemnation of the long-term contracts, time
will tell. My guess is some of them will work out very well. My guess
is some of the teams will regret or players will regret having done it.”

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: