GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley could cost the Sens $14 million for this past year

+7
Phoenix30
Bramlet07
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
SensFan71
beedub
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Just heard on the Team this morning, and if someone has already posted on this, I apologize.

Heatley is due a $4 million bonus on July 1.

Who the Diddle is going to take him now. Not only does he have a 7.5 million cap hit, but the team will have to fork over an extra 4 million.

I sure hope it's not a performance related bonus!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I think Ottawa will be paying that 4M bonus from what I understand, dang, where is Rooney when you need him, or maybe Jamvan can explain it a bit more. SpezzDispenser is really going to love this stuff, he hates Heatley enough already.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

TGOR has been known to get things wrong from time to time, but they did say that the bonus was transferrable to whatever team Heatley is a member of on July 1

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:TGOR has been known to get things wrong from time to time, but they did say that the bonus was transferrable to whatever team Heatley is a member of on July 1

they could be right, we just need one of our CBA experts to educate us on that one, I have no clue about contract signing/CBA rules when it comes to bonuses being paid.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

beedub wrote:TGOR has been known to get things wrong from time to time, but they did say that the bonus was transferrable to whatever team Heatley is a member of on July 1
Yeah, so what team in their right mind would make a trade before July 1st? They'll just wait and then make a deal after Ottawa has paid it out - just like the McCabe situation when he went to Florida. The deal was done after his bonus kicked in and the Leafs were on the hook to pay it.

The problem with this is, pushing the deal out to July 1st screws us in getting any picks for this year's draft.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Yeah, so what team in their right mind would make a trade before July 1st? They'll just wait and then make a deal after Ottawa has paid it out - just like the McCabe situation when he went to Florida. The deal was done after his bonus kicked in and the Leafs were on the hook to pay it.

The problem with this is, pushing the deal out to July 1st screws us in getting any picks for this year's draft.

The only way I see another team do that is for us to take a salary dump in return, which we may have had to do anyway, depending on how the deal went down and with which team, oh this is getting too complicated.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Obviously this is an embarassing Diddle up because any bonus money would count against the cap.

This is just an installment on the 10 million we already ALL know about.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Obviously this is an embarassing Diddle up because any bonus money would count against the cap.

I thought this was part of his $8M salary in 2009/2010 season. $4M salary, $4M Bonus. His cap hit remains the same - $7.5M/year.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Obviously this is an embarassing Diddle up because any bonus money would count against the cap.

Murray is hating that contract right now he drafted up, meh, still can't wait to get rid of him and am hoping this doesn't cost our chance at the best possible return.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:

I thought this was part of his $8M salary in 2009/2010 season. $4M salary, $4M Bonus. His cap hit remains the same - $7.5M/year.

Either way, it's all part of his existing salary structure and not a bonus over and above his salary as it has been represented.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Exactly Seaway. It doesn't change any Cap implications but what it does do is either cost Ottawa or the team that trades for him 4 million real dollars. There is no difference on the Cap but it's still 4 Million that an owner has to shell out, be it Melnyk or whoever. That could make teams want to wait don't you think?

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Exactly Seaway. It doesn't change any Cap implications but what it does do is either cost Ottawa or the team that trades for him 4 million real dollars. There is no difference on the Cap but it's still 4 Million that an owner has to shell out, be it Melnyk or whoever. That could make teams want to wait don't you think?

Ottawa will have to eat that salary unless a team is THAT desperate. Heatley can easily be a "future consideration" in a draft day deal.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Exactly Seaway. It doesn't change any Cap implications but what it does do is either cost Ottawa or the team that trades for him 4 million real dollars. There is no difference on the Cap but it's still 4 Million that an owner has to shell out, be it Melnyk or whoever. That could make teams want to wait don't you think?

Can Murray make a deal prior to the deadline with the implication that Melnyk pays the 4M even if Heatley gets traded before July 1st, or is that illegal?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:

Can Murray make a deal prior to the deadline with the implication that Melnyk pays the 4M even if Heatley gets traded before July 1st, or is that illegal?

Where's Rooney when you need him? Seriously I don't know. I suspect it goes to whoever owns his rights prior to July 1st much like the McCabe fiasco.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Where's Rooney when you need him? Seriously I don't know. I suspect it goes to whoever owns his rights prior to July 1st much like the McCabe fiasco.

somebody go find him and wake him up, I know nothing about contracts/negotiating rights, but am sensing what you said is right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum