GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zetterberg speaks out about the Crosby "snub"

+2
caissie_1
shabbs
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:Pretty irrelavant IMO.... I dont really care about it they are taking it way too serious....

That's a neat avatar. There are times where it looks like one of those NHL commercials with the photos, where Spezza is gonna pop out of it and say something.

Something like what, though? "Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, my other brother Darryl asked to be traded." Or is that too surreal?

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If Draper hadn't opened his mouth and sounded off about this, we wouldn't even be talking about it. He had his say for the team, the players should all just move on and reply with "It's been addressed already, next question." when asked about it.

Draper's comment "and make sure you write that I said that!" shows his bitterness and that he wanted this to be publicized.

Did they celebrate a bit too long? Sure. Should Crosby, as captain, have led the hand shake for Pitt? Yes. But, he's 21, this was his first Stanley Cup and he got swarmed on the ice. Could Lidstrom and Draper have waited 30 more seconds? I think so.

Absolutely, I think this is a classless response to a somewhat careless act by a 21 yr old guy. A guy who was in the midst of of a huge celebration. I remember how I celebrated at that age and I am not sure I would be thinking tradition. Good point Shabbs, they could have waited a second.

At the end of the day a classy group of guys would just say 'that's not what I would have done' and move on. That is a strong enough message. All this crap is over kill and sour grapes. Makes guys who were champions look pretty small.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

MurderOnIce wrote:Absolutely, I think this is a classless response to a somewhat careless act by a 21 yr old guy. A guy who was in the midst of of a huge celebration. I remember how I celebrated at that age and I am not sure I would be thinking tradition. Good point Shabbs, they could have waited a second.

At the end of the day a classy group of guys would just say 'that's not what I would have done' and move on. That is a strong enough message. All this crap is over kill and sour grapes. Makes guys who were champions look pretty small.

First of all, he's almost 22, and we can all stop saying he's young. He's been in this business for a long time, he's signed more contracts than any of us ever will, he's been in front of cameras and microphones since before he knew how to really swear. This is not a kid. This is the team captain of a Stanley Cup Winning team.

Yes, there was certainly cause for celebration. No-one is begrudging him that. However most of the rest of his team were lining up and shaking hands. He, as the Captain, is and should be held up to a higher level of accountability. No matter how you spin it, the rest of his team had lined up shaking hands. As the Captain he should have been the first; instead he was the last. That's just not the way it should ave gone down.

Having said all that, there was no reason for him to not come out and admit that he should have been at the head of the line. That's just the right thing to do. Regardless of whether any of the Wings players are right or wrong (yeah, carrying it a little too far, could have easily dropped it right away), I am specifically addressing Crosby's actions and inactions.

So there was no reason for him to not come out and say that, the question then forms: why didn't he? Is it because he truly does not understand that he should have? Does he really believe that it is not that important to shake everyone's hand, especially the opposing Captain's? Does he truly think that it was Lidstrom's fault for not waiting long-enough?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh. Now we're dragging this on too...

Wink

shabbs wrote:Heh. Now we're dragging this on too...

Wink

:n:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

MurderOnIce wrote:

Wink

That avatar is freaking me out. It's like his eyes keep following me. I need a wider monitor to see if it's just an optical illusion or if he's really after me. Suspect

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Wink

That avatar is freaking me out. It's like his eyes keep following me. I need a wider monitor to see if it's just an optical illusion or if he's really after me. Suspect

Laughing3

Oh, holy Dung. I see it to! Run! Scared

Keep one eye open, even when you sleep...

Dany is coming to getcha...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I try to dodge and weave (Wii boxing helps there) but when those eyes go their separate ways I'm stuck in the middle. HELP!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Gordie Howe: Cut Crosby some slack on handshakes
AP/Detroit Free Press, June 19, 2009

TORONTO — Mr. Hockey says people should cut Sid The Kid some slack.
Hockey legend Gordie Howe doesn’t believe Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby intentionally failed to shake hands with some Detroit players after Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Howe said Crosby’s natural shyness combined with getting caught up in the emotion of winning an NHL championship resulted in Crosby getting in line to shake hands after some Red Wings had left the ice.

“He got caught up,” Howe said Thursday after serving as the Queen’s Plate honorary drawmaster at Woodbine Racetrack. “He will mature.

“He’s a good kid.”

During a chaotic post-game scene on the crowded Joe Louis Arena ice following Pittsburgh’s 2-1 victory, Crosby was ushered to several live television interviews, hugged some teammates and was presented the Stanley Cup by commissioner Gary Bettman.

Crosby was celebrating when Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom, assistant Kris Draper and some other key Red Wings went to their dressing room. Crosby did get into line to shake hands with Detroit players, including head coach Mike Wang and goalie Chris Osgood.

Draper later ripped Crosby, accusing him of snubbing Lidstrom during post-game handshakes.

But Howe, 81, defended Crosby, saying the Penguins superstar is really very shy.

In fact, during a recent visit with Crosby, Howe added the Pittsburgh captain didn’t say a word.

“He’s too damn shy,” Howe said. “He never said a word, never blinked.

“During the five minutes I talked to him I basically said, ‘Don’t let anything bother you, just keep on the right road. You’re on the right road and you’re doing a hell of a lot of good jobs and good luck.’ He just stared at me, turned around and walked away.”

And that brought a smile to Howe’s face.

“I just grinned and said, ‘That takes me back to the days where I used to hide,’” Howe said. “That’s because I was afraid I might say something wrong. I was the same way. I’d go into the washroom and take about a half-hour shower and they (reporters) would get sick of waiting and leave. I was afraid of saying something wrong and I think he’s in that same situation, he doesn’t know what to say, what is right and what is wrong?’”

Howe — whose wife Colleen died in March at age 76 of Pick’s disease, a degenerative brain disorder — also remembers superstar Wayne Gretzky initially being very shy.

“The first time I met Wayne Gretzky ... he never said anything back,” Howe said. “The second time, we couldn’t shut him up.

“It’s just kids. We all have to learn.”

As for Crosby’s ability as a hockey player, Howe said there’s plenty to be impressed with.

“I’m not going to say he knows everything, but he’s getting there fast,” Howe said. “A couple more years if he stays healthy, who knows?”

Howe said during his glory days with the Red Wings in the 1950s and ’60s, the rivalries between teams were very intense, to the point where it was hard to shake hands after a series ended.

“When we had it you lined up at the blue-line and just banged hands,” he said. “You’re punching them in the nose and five minutes later you’re going to shake his hand?

“To hell with that. Maybe they shouldn’t even have the players out there.”

The Detroit-Pittsburgh final was an exciting one which saw the Penguins rally to capture the Stanley Cup by winning the final two games of the series. But Howe says he didn’t see it.

“Since I retired I’ve had to work,” he said with a chuckle.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum