GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers Internet download speed increase

+6
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
Ev
wprager
shabbs
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any developments regarding "Rogers Internet download speed increase?"

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Any developments regarding "Rogers Internet download speed increase?"

Just to prevent you from having a monopoly on that "latest topics" thread on the right side...

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Any developments regarding "Rogers Internet download speed increase?"

Just to prevent you from having a monopoly on that "latest topics" thread on the right side...

How dare you.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

How dare you.

I only have the greater good in mind.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

How dare you.

I only have the greater good in mind.

To the greater good, old friend!!! Cheers

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Source?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Source?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I concur.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:I concur.

I actually looked into that shady looking Laraque-net or whatever it's called. No service in the 'burg.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I actually looked into that shady looking Laraque-net or whatever it's called. No service in the 'burg.
Still limited to dial-up?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:On the iPod, running apps can be seen by double clicking the iPod button. You'll see a row of apps appear on the bottom of the screen. To close them, press on one of them until they all start to wiggle (like when deleting an app) and you see the "X" on the icon. Tapping the X for each app will close the app. Press the button to return to the normal screen. You can close them all if you want.

I got the iPod for him when he "graduated" from grade 8 to high school (what was that line from The Incredibles -- '... new ways to celebrate mediocrity"?) So it's been nearly two years that he's had it. Over that time he's downloaded probably about 50-60 apps (he has a total of 76 on, a dozen or so must have come "standard"). He's never picked up the manual as far as I know. Always complains how it runs out of power so quickly, and how whenever he sticks it into the docking station it starts playing. Never bothered to find out why.

Well, last night I double-clicked, then I pressed and held until they started wiggling, and then I started closing the apps. Took me about 5 minutes. Every app that he's ever started was still running. I was actually counting how many he had but I lost my count somewhere around 60. He had over 60 apps running. Many of them are "location-based" which (I think) means they periodically check your location and adjust -- I've read that location based apps can use up quite a bit of data -- more when you move around, perhaps, but even just the periodic checking. I disabled all that.

Now my router is getting flaky. I've had to run upstairs and powercycle it 1-2 times a day for the past 3-4 days. I'm looking at getting something like a Linksys E-2500. That would give me b/g and more ways of controlling who uses how much and when.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

We have cable which is pretty sweet considering it's a small town.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Living the dream...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Living the dream...

Every. Single. Day.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:On the iPod, running apps can be seen by double clicking the iPod button. You'll see a row of apps appear on the bottom of the screen. To close them, press on one of them until they all start to wiggle (like when deleting an app) and you see the "X" on the icon. Tapping the X for each app will close the app. Press the button to return to the normal screen. You can close them all if you want.

I got the iPod for him when he "graduated" from grade 8 to high school (what was that line from The Incredibles -- '... new ways to celebrate mediocrity"?) So it's been nearly two years that he's had it. Over that time he's downloaded probably about 50-60 apps (he has a total of 76 on, a dozen or so must have come "standard"). He's never picked up the manual as far as I know. Always complains how it runs out of power so quickly, and how whenever he sticks it into the docking station it starts playing. Never bothered to find out why.

Well, last night I double-clicked, then I pressed and held until they started wiggling, and then I started closing the apps. Took me about 5 minutes. Every app that he's ever started was still running. I was actually counting how many he had but I lost my count somewhere around 60. He had over 60 apps running. Many of them are "location-based" which (I think) means they periodically check your location and adjust -- I've read that location based apps can use up quite a bit of data -- more when you move around, perhaps, but even just the periodic checking. I disabled all that.

Now my router is getting flaky. I've had to run upstairs and powercycle it 1-2 times a day for the past 3-4 days. I'm looking at getting something like a Linksys E-2500. That would give me b/g and more ways of controlling who uses how much and when.

The Prager household modem on Lock-down???

Rogers Internet download speed increase - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSktjUIdWC5NRyO6Jb9BEpm2FRBTIj4DojPjJlA6HZ_P7rCOSPW

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just picked up a Linksys e-2500 at Staples. It was $20 off and with a price match I could have picked it up at BestBuy for $2 less. Didn't think it was worth the hassle. They also had an e-3200 for just $13 more (it was an open box plus clearance priced another 25% off). Was a bit tempted but I think the main difference was it had a USB port and was "HD/3D ready" -- whatever that heck that means. I'm not sure how I feel about the USB port. I *think* it is for sharing content, including multimedia but, frankly, I much prefer to stick the USB right into my PS3 (for videos) or other PC (for "sharing"). And like I said, I'm not sure what 3D/HD was for but I think it was for prioritizing video traffic on the W-LAN. But, again, I prefer sticking the content on a USB stick.

A bit surprised that there aren't any stats, or at least I couldn't find any. I thought it would give me per-device stats. Even my old D-Link had rudimentary stats.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, sitting here on the front porch, getting 2.436 on the deslreports.com speed test. Not good, but I could barely get a connection with the old router, and as for the speed itself, an earlier test upstairs, at the router itself (wired up to the cable modem) I was only getting 4-5. I guess on a hot day a lot of the neighborhood teens are probably online. Dang shared hub.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What does Rogers' speed check say?

http://www.rogers.com/speedcheck

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum