GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers Internet download speed increase

+6
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
Ev
wprager
shabbs
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

61Rogers Internet download speed increase - Page 5 Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Checked it out. No active torrents, checked the download folder and there is nothing there. I'm beginning to suspect my kid and his iPod. He didn't bring it with him on Saturday -- are there P2P clients for iPods? What could he be downloading that would use up an extra 9-10GB over two days?

And then I keep going back to yesterday's 1.7 GB when nothing was in use until we watched 1 hour of Netflix at night. Bizarre. I think I need to upgrade my routers -- have been meaning to get a better one for a while. The one I've got now is a G-only, single small antenna, low on features. For stats it keeps track of bytes sent/received on the WAN port, the LAN ports (single aggregate total for all 4) and the wireless port. I'd like to see per-device totals as well as a few more bells and whistles.

Not sure if you own a compatible router or not, but chances are if it's older, it's supported.

http://tomatousb.org/

62Rogers Internet download speed increase - Page 5 Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:iCloud backup ?

Hey, you, get off of my iCloud!

He's been downloading some inexpensive games and watching youtube. Or so he tells me.

Is there a router that will keep track of browsing history on a per-client basis?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
Not sure if you own a compatible router or not, but chances are if it's older, it's supported.

http://tomatousb.org/

They only have one D-Link listed and it's not the one I have (I've got the WBR-1310).

I think I need a new router. Something with wireless-N, two antennae, more stats and features.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Proceed with caution on wireless-n. How spread out are your devices? I've found that wireless-n range is quite reduced when compared to wireless-g. And your speed drops off as you move away from the router.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Proceed with caution on wireless-n. How spread out are your devices? I've found that wireless-n range is quite reduced when compared to wireless-g. And your speed drops off as you move away from the router.

I can always disable it, right?

I had read up on this a long time ago. I don't think G has a better range, but it does better at passing through walls so perhaps that's what you meant. The issue with G is that there are a lot of devices and only 3 non-overlapped channels, so the possibility of interference is nearly a certainty.

Plu,s I can always disable it, right? Smile

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last I checked, most houses has walls and crap... and yes, you can disable it.

Unless of course you live in a big sphere with no walls at all and the router is in the center of the sphere.

Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Proceed with caution on wireless-n. How spread out are your devices? I've found that wireless-n range is quite reduced when compared to wireless-g. And your speed drops off as you move away from the router.

I had read up on this a long time ago. I don't think G has a better range, but it does better at passing through walls so perhaps that's what you meant. The issue with G is that there are a lot of devices and only 3 non-overlapped channels, so the possibility of interference is nearly a certainty.

Plus, I can always disable it, right? Smile

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
wprager wrote:

Plus, I can always disable it, right? Smile
I concur.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, so last night I re-enabled my son's iPod (added its MAC address to the list and re-programmed his wifi profile for the home network). Checked this morning and our daily usage went from 1.8 to 2.6. I don't even understand how we could have used 1.8GB the day before, but now the jump to 2.6 just because he watched some YouTube videos for an hour before bed?

In the short term I'm shutting him down. I'm also going to check with Rogers as to when they collect their stats for daily usage, then I'm going to shut down my cable modem for at least 24 hours. What I'll do after that depends on what happens, I guess.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wow - what does he have running on his ipod? Sounds like something streaming all the time. Pretty crazy.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
I checked TekSavvy and it's $41.99 for internet, not $40. And I was actually looking at their $14.95 home phone plan.

Does your Rogers $85/month include a HD PVR and a second HD box? I doubt it, not for $85/month. Does that even include the 13% HST? If you want to compare you have to compare apples to apples.

I can't tell you any more explicity how much my stuff costs, and I said taxes were included.

I also told you that I get a free HD PVR through Rogers, and I *bought* my other one.

My internet total is $39.54 INCLUDING TAX (6Mbps DSL + 300GB/month). My home phone total is $27.66 INCLUDING TAX (this includes call display, no other features). My cable total is $84.75 INCLUDING TAX (after I got a $10 discount for whining).

Anyway, dollars and cents really isn't the problem.

The problem here is that 60GB/month is simply not enough for a family that also uses Netflix. You shouldn't need to police all the internet usage in your home…you shouldn't need to worry about that. There are alternatives available to you, including just paying more than Rogers. You should just analyze your options and figure out which will cost you the least. You can also call Rogers and whine at them and try to have them increase your monthly usage limit.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think whining to Rogers -- at this point -- is my only option. I'm getting 20% discount; bundling alone gets me 10%, the rest they will claim was for signing up for 2 years. So they will try to recover that if I cancel early (knowing them they'll try to get back the whole 20%, plus the 30% I was getting for the first 12 months). Anyhow, I'm not really in the mood to switch right now (waiting for FibeTV to come to Kanata).

I think I can prove fairly easily (using the numbers I crunched above) that going to TekSavvy will be nearly a wash for me, in monthly payments (and that's just taking the advertised price and not whining for the extra $10 off). I would get virtually the same access rates (I'm *not* getting 12, closer to 10) and no fear of going over. I should be able to use that to get them to at least waive the over-cap fees.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Wow - what does he have running on his ipod? Sounds like something streaming all the time. Pretty crazy.

He *says* he only goes to YouTube and wikipedia. His history was conveniently wiped out (both YouTube and Safari. I checked his apps -- a couple of them worried me: Flixter and FreeTV. There was also a FreeMusic. How do I even know, when I hit the center button, if the app is still running in the background or not? On the BB you press and hold the BB key and you can see the running apps. Hitting the Back button doesn't exit the app in most (all?) cases. I wonder what happens if you watch something on FreeTV and then fall asleep. Or leave FreeMusic running when you go off to Montreal for the day.

For the time being I've locked him out. I'll have to research this a bit more and I'm probably not letting him back on until I get a new router that lets me see/control more of what he does.

Oh, I also checked my Netflix profile and I had enabled the best quality. I didn't think it would make a difference to SD programs but apparently it does. I don't really care if Mad About You is not as smooth as it could be. If I find watching other shows (Being Human and Primeval) the PQ suffers noticeably I can always temporarily adjust it higher.

74Rogers Internet download speed increase - Page 5 Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:21 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

On the iPod, running apps can be seen by double clicking the iPod button. You'll see a row of apps appear on the bottom of the screen. To close them, press on one of them until they all start to wiggle (like when deleting an app) and you see the "X" on the icon. Tapping the X for each app will close the app. Press the button to return to the normal screen. You can close them all if you want.

75Rogers Internet download speed increase - Page 5 Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:47 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm pretty sure when my iPod locks itself after a few minutes of inactivity, that it disconnects from wireless....might want to be sure his iPod is setup to automatically go into 'sleep' mode after a few minutes too. Not sure if any of this matters.

Oh, and get MORE GB PER MONTH Smile

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any developments regarding "Rogers Internet download speed increase?"

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Any developments regarding "Rogers Internet download speed increase?"

Just to prevent you from having a monopoly on that "latest topics" thread on the right side...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Any developments regarding "Rogers Internet download speed increase?"

Just to prevent you from having a monopoly on that "latest topics" thread on the right side...

How dare you.

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum