GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Redden possibly being waived

+9
PTFlea
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
PKC
rooneypoo
shabbs
wprager
davetherave
Mojo
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Redden possibly being waived - Page 3 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:21 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Anyway, the whole thing is an embarrassment, for the team and for Redden. It's true, you can't blame for sitting around and picking up $40 mil... but if he had any self-respect, he'd just retire and save everyone the embarrassment. That seems like the only honourable way out for him at this point.

No way would I do that if I were Redden. You offered 6.5 million dollars and I accepted. The Rangers (Sather) are the idiots here. Anyone who didn't see that at the time didn't know Redden like we did. It was one of those 'what the Diddle just happened?' moments that I won't soon forget.

The only embarrassment here is on Sather IMO. And I believe if he floats this idea for real, he should be relieved of duty.

Now...are the Rangers threatening this so Redden will waive his NTC? That's the flip side. Waive your NTC, or we'll waive you. I can't imagine another team willing to absorb the 6.5 million, but there might be a team out there who has a bum contract that might think about swapping. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but there are craptastic contracts out there where the Rangers might find a partner.

It'll take Redden + something substantial to take back a bum contract. Like Dubinsky. That kind of substantial.

Boneheads. Facepalm

Six years of being an embarrassment and a burden to yourself, your teammates, your team, your bosses, and your team's fans might change your mind, Heater.

This guy is gonna feel the heat for this deal for another 5 years, and it's only gonna get worse as he gets worse. Take the money and retire while you still have some face to save, and before you become a running joke for a generation of hockey fans. A buyout, or permanent demotion, probably just isn't feasible, and I really can't see anyone taking on that contract, for any price. Have some pride; go out a man, not a man whore.

You make a good point, but he is an undeniably talented player. He just makes decisions too slowly, which causes him to make mistakes countless times. With his vision and passing ability, I'm pretty confident that he could still play in this league, provided he had some proper off-season training. If he worked all summer on his acceleration and skating, as well as reflex training, then he could probably be worth his paycheck.

Of course, I could be wrong....

32Redden possibly being waived - Page 3 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:29 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
You make a good point, but he is an undeniably talented player. He just makes decisions too slowly, which causes him to make mistakes countless times. With his vision and passing ability, I'm pretty confident that he could still play in this league, provided he had some proper off-season training. If he worked all summer on his acceleration and skating, as well as reflex training, then he could probably be worth his paycheck.

Of course, I could be wrong....

Redden is a shadow of his former self. The progressive drop-off each and every year from 2005-06 (when he was indeed an elite defenceman) to now is positively shocking. There have been long stretches of time over the last 3 years, in fact, when he's looked like he doesn't even belong in the NHL.

That said, if his deal was for half the money and half the term, he probably wouldn't have to put up with the constant rumour mill of buyouts, demotions, trades, etc. that he's been facing over the last year. The problem is that he's getting paid #1 D money when he's now really a #3/#4 D, at best -- someone who plays something like 18 minutes a game, with 1/3 of that on the PP, and never against the other team's best guys.

I think he can probably still play and make a positive impact in that kind of limited role, but ultimately the expectations on him are always going to be too high because the money given to him is way too high. And that's why he's going to have a really rough go of it for the next 5 years if he doesn't do something drastic, like recover his 2005-06 form or retire. Personally, I don't think he'll ever be worth anything close to his paycheck again, which is why I say he ought to save some face and just retire and leave some money on the table.

33Redden possibly being waived - Page 3 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:No its definitely limited... I don't know what the limitation is, but the number 12 comes to mind when I think of how many teams he can be traded to.

Is there even 1 team that wants him? I rather go with a prospect on the rise rather than a veteran on a huge decline.

34Redden possibly being waived - Page 3 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:41 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:Is there even 1 team that wants him? I rather go with a prospect on the rise rather than a veteran on a huge decline.
I highly doubt it and that's why asq2 said his contract IS his NTC due to the amount and length of it.

35Redden possibly being waived - Page 3 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:44 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:Is there even 1 team that wants him? I rather go with a prospect on the rise rather than a veteran on a huge decline.
I highly doubt it and that's why asq2 said his contract IS his NTC due to the amount and length of it.

sorry Reds, thank you for your time while you were here, the 1 or two good seasons you had, but maybe it is time to pack it in or head overseas.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum