GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Redden possibly being waived

+9
PTFlea
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
PKC
rooneypoo
shabbs
wprager
davetherave
Mojo
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:58 am

I agree with that whole heartedly, I would take 20 million to go away rather then 30 to work... haha, who wouldnt? Especially if you're disliked by everyone.

17Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:00 am

BigRig

Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:Unbelievable ... and, yet, so predictable.

I wonder if they are sending up smoke-signals to shock Wade into re-thinking his philosophy on playing. Anyone see him on Road Hockey Rumble? They were playing in his home town and asked him to join in, he scored something like 6 goals. The NHL ain't Road Hockey, Wade!

Even an organization like the Rangers, $6.5M for another 5 years is a lot of money. Of course they could set up a web site -- KeepWadeInTheAHL.com -- and collect money from fans and sponsors to keep him playing there.

Yeah, I know I sound harsh, and since I was never a Redden fan or supporter it's easier for me. But this guy signed a long-term, high-end contract, and is not willing to play up to it. Or, if this is the best he *can* do for whatever reason (i.e. he is playing at as high a level as he currently is capable of playing), then he would have known this last year, before he signed, and should have never signed for this much.

Can you blame a guy for signing a huge contract? Can you say, "Well, if someone gives you that much money, would you not take it?" I suppose, just like in Gerber's case. But at least Gerber was coming off a 38 win season, perhaps he *thought* he could do this on a regular basis and be a #1 starter. In Wade's case, he has sucked for three years. Also, for Gerber, that was his first big contract, and it was about half of Redden's.

Bottom line, I strongly feel that a man with integrity, who has been playing like a sub-average player for three years, while collecting a superstar salary, should not have signed the same (but twice as long) contract.

I'm still hoping that this can be somehow worked out. Maybe he starts playing well-enough that they could get someone to pick him up on re-entry waivers for half price? Or a change of scenery trade where teams are exchanging contracts (hard to find a similar contract, though). I'm still pulling for Redden to man up and play the way he is paid; if not, he really should consider retirement.

ideally, everbody saves faces here and they do whatever it takes for him to get back to his play that earned him 6M a year when in Ottawa.

- Pair him with a 1# Dman ( no clue who he played with this year )
- give him all the powerplay time he can get, pad his stats
- Make sure he's training like a banshee this offseason

Other than that, there's not a whole lots of options available as i don't see 30M in the minors being acceptable when he's still got a bunch left in the tank....

oh, and THANK GOD we didn't re-sign him! Even for 4M per, it would've been too much! Smile

18Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Anyway, the whole thing is an embarrassment, for the team and for Redden. It's true, you can't blame for sitting around and picking up $40 mil... but if he had any self-respect, he'd just retire and save everyone the embarrassment. That seems like the only honourable way out for him at this point.

No way would I do that if I were Redden. You offered 6.5 million dollars and I accepted. The Rangers (Sather) are the idiots here. Anyone who didn't see that at the time didn't know Redden like we did. It was one of those 'what the Diddle just happened?' moments that I won't soon forget.

The only embarrassment here is on Sather IMO. And I believe if he floats this idea for real, he should be relieved of duty.

Now...are the Rangers threatening this so Redden will waive his NTC? That's the flip side. Waive your NTC, or we'll waive you. I can't imagine another team willing to absorb the 6.5 million, but there might be a team out there who has a bum contract that might think about swapping. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but there are craptastic contracts out there where the Rangers might find a partner.

It'll take Redden + something substantial to take back a bum contract. Like Dubinsky. That kind of substantial.

Boneheads. Facepalm

19Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Being curious about this, I read Garrioch's piece..."There is talk the Rangers might waive D Wade Redden at the start of next season and send him to the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack to get his $6.5-million salary off the books."

Is this for real, or another one of Bruce's donut holes masquerading as 'insider info'?

^ This.

Remember, although the rumours have been out there since around the 5th game Redden played, is this for real, or is this just Boo Boo?

20Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:22 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Anyway, the whole thing is an embarrassment, for the team and for Redden. It's true, you can't blame for sitting around and picking up $40 mil... but if he had any self-respect, he'd just retire and save everyone the embarrassment. That seems like the only honourable way out for him at this point.

No way would I do that if I were Redden. You offered 6.5 million dollars and I accepted. The Rangers (Sather) are the idiots here. Anyone who didn't see that at the time didn't know Redden like we did. It was one of those 'what the Diddle just happened?' moments that I won't soon forget.

The only embarrassment here is on Sather IMO. And I believe if he floats this idea for real, he should be relieved of duty.

Now...are the Rangers threatening this so Redden will waive his NTC? That's the flip side. Waive your NTC, or we'll waive you. I can't imagine another team willing to absorb the 6.5 million, but there might be a team out there who has a bum contract that might think about swapping. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but there are craptastic contracts out there where the Rangers might find a partner.

It'll take Redden + something substantial to take back a bum contract. Like Dubinsky. That kind of substantial.

Boneheads. Facepalm

Six years of being an embarrassment and a burden to yourself, your teammates, your team, your bosses, and your team's fans might change your mind, Heater.

This guy is gonna feel the heat for this deal for another 5 years, and it's only gonna get worse as he gets worse. Take the money and retire while you still have some face to save, and before you become a running joke for a generation of hockey fans. A buyout, or permanent demotion, probably just isn't feasible, and I really can't see anyone taking on that contract, for any price. Have some pride; go out a man, not a man whore.

21Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:Six years of being an embarrassment and a burden to yourself, your teammates, your team, your bosses, and your team's fans might change your mind, Heater.

This guy is gonna feel the heat for this deal for another 5 years, and it's only gonna get worse as he gets worse. Take the money and retire while you still have some face to save, and before you become a running joke for a generation of hockey fans. A buyout, or permanent demotion, probably just isn't feasible, and I really can't see anyone taking on that contract, for any price. Have some pride; go out a man, not a man whore.

Oh yeah, it's gonna get rough. In NYC the possibility of death threats is very, very real. They hate losers - and it's not that Redden is a loser, he's just lost it. It's gonna get really heavy - but again, I put it on Sather more than I put it on Redden.

Right now Sather needs to contact the Blue Jackets - who he outbid, and see if there's a chance he can unload Redden and Girardi or Dubinsky to them for a problem contract.

But retire? Unfortunately for all involved, Redden probably really enjoys playing the game - and retiring at 34 or whatever he is- might not be an option.

I see your point though Rooney, I just doubt there's a chance of it happening.

22Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:47 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Given Garrioch's usual "hockey gossip" modus operandi, which is to take some snippet of a rumour and present it as having substance, this latest attempt at creating "Redden drama" certainly has members of this board talking.

The only thing that matters, though, is what Sather and Tortorella think of Redden.

And Garrioch, from what we can read, hasn't spoken to any of them.

23Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

who didn't see this coming. I'd be more surprised if they didn't do whatever it takes to not have him in the lineup.

24Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:29 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

could see this coming from a mile away, talk about handcuffed with another 5 years at 6.5 million, stupid Sather.

25Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:could see this coming from a mile away, talk about handcuffed with another 5 years at 6.5 million, stupid Sather.

At least Redden didnt get the NMC. NYR would be really screwed if they gave that up.

26Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:16 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:could see this coming from a mile away, talk about handcuffed with another 5 years at 6.5 million, stupid Sather.

At least Redden didnt get the NMC. NYR would be really screwed if they gave that up.

touche on that one, but mind you, a buyout would have to cost them huge at this point, because no one in their right mind would take him, unless it was a team in the KHL.

27Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

touche on that one, but mind you, a buyout would have to cost them huge at this point, because no one in their right mind would take him, unless it was a team in the KHL.

thats another good point. Maybe NYR keep him around for one more year to see how he does. Pending his play he could then be waived and loaned out over seas for a couple of years. If after a couple of years and pending his performance he could be brought back and bought out at a shorter time. If I remember correctly if he is loaned out then his salay would be covered by the other team making it easier to swallow for the rangers when they do have to pay him.

28Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:21 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Phoenix30 wrote:

I believe he has a "limited NTC" that he and Sather agreed on. Can't remember the number of teams but he has a list that it's limited to.

29Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

I believe he has a "limited NTC" that he and Sather agreed on. Can't remember the number of teams but he has a list that it's limited to.

Unfortunately, his contract is probably an unlimited NTC.

30Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:16 pm

No its definitely limited... I don't know what the limitation is, but the number 12 comes to mind when I think of how many teams he can be traded to.

31Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:21 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Boneheads. Facepalm

Six years of being an embarrassment and a burden to yourself, your teammates, your team, your bosses, and your team's fans might change your mind, Heater.

You make a good point, but he is an undeniably talented player. He just makes decisions too slowly, which causes him to make mistakes countless times. With his vision and passing ability, I'm pretty confident that he could still play in this league, provided he had some proper off-season training. If he worked all summer on his acceleration and skating, as well as reflex training, then he could probably be worth his paycheck.

Of course, I could be wrong....

32Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:29 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
You make a good point, but he is an undeniably talented player. He just makes decisions too slowly, which causes him to make mistakes countless times. With his vision and passing ability, I'm pretty confident that he could still play in this league, provided he had some proper off-season training. If he worked all summer on his acceleration and skating, as well as reflex training, then he could probably be worth his paycheck.

Of course, I could be wrong....

Redden is a shadow of his former self. The progressive drop-off each and every year from 2005-06 (when he was indeed an elite defenceman) to now is positively shocking. There have been long stretches of time over the last 3 years, in fact, when he's looked like he doesn't even belong in the NHL.

That said, if his deal was for half the money and half the term, he probably wouldn't have to put up with the constant rumour mill of buyouts, demotions, trades, etc. that he's been facing over the last year. The problem is that he's getting paid #1 D money when he's now really a #3/#4 D, at best -- someone who plays something like 18 minutes a game, with 1/3 of that on the PP, and never against the other team's best guys.

I think he can probably still play and make a positive impact in that kind of limited role, but ultimately the expectations on him are always going to be too high because the money given to him is way too high. And that's why he's going to have a really rough go of it for the next 5 years if he doesn't do something drastic, like recover his 2005-06 form or retire. Personally, I don't think he'll ever be worth anything close to his paycheck again, which is why I say he ought to save some face and just retire and leave some money on the table.

33Redden possibly being waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Redden possibly being waived Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:No its definitely limited... I don't know what the limitation is, but the number 12 comes to mind when I think of how many teams he can be traded to.

Is there even 1 team that wants him? I rather go with a prospect on the rise rather than a veteran on a huge decline.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum