GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Group emerges looking for 2nd NHL team in GTA

+2
wprager
shabbs
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It seems a new group has emerged looking to land a 2nd NHL team in the GTA.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/645491

Sounds like they have a lot of funding... but that's only part of what you need... right Jim Balsillie?

Supposed to be an announcement tomorrow with more details.

We shall see...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:It seems a new group has emerged looking to land a 2nd NHL team in the GTA.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/645491

Sounds like they have a lot of funding... but that's only part of what you need... right Jim Balsillie?

Supposed to be an announcement tomorrow with more details.

We shall see...

No, I think it is the *last* thing you need. And I'm not being facetious.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:No, I think it is the *last* thing you need. And I'm not being facetious.
Laughing3

*cough* *cough* Boots Del Biaggio *cough* *cough*

I stand corrected.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Presser is at 11:00am ET tomorrow.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More details on the presser today:

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/06/05/9682786-sun.html

It's being held at the Rosewater Supper Club - pretty swanky place. Last time I was there, I was talking with Tiffany Amber Thiessen.

Ahhhh... good times.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

This group has a 1000% better chance at securing another NHL franchise than Balsillie does. Know why? Franchise fees (read: $$$$$$$$$$$).

It's pathetic to know that the collective ownership group (disregarding the few owners who probably don't care either way) of the NHL teams think a quick cash grab franchise fee boost is more pertinent to the future sustainability of the NHL rather than addressing the specific factors creating such massive revenue sharing disparities between the top income teams and the ones on the other end of the line.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Looks like the Leafs are prepared to go to court to protect what they view as "their territory" if a new team tries to move in...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/04/kelley_leafs_nhl/

"Sportsnet.ca has learned that the Leafs have no intention of ceding what they believe are their territorial rights and are prepared to go to court to defend them, whether it is expansion into their market or the bid by Research in Motion co-founder Jim Balsillie to relocate the Phoenix Coyotes to Southern Ontario.

That fight would likely include a battle with the National Hockey League if it were to cut a deal to allow either or any group in without the Leafs' permission."

That goes for this new expansion group as well as Balsillie.

This is gonna get ugly...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some details from the presser today courtesy of The Fan 590:

New Bid For Another NHL Team In Toronto

The Toronto Legacy Group - a group of local investors - announced plans Friday to bid for an expansion NHL team for Toronto that would launch for the 2012 season. Details released include plans for a 30,000 seat arena as part of a residential and commercial complex in a 40 acre land parcel at Downsview Park.

30,000 seat arena? WOW!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More details:

Source: http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090605/toronto_nhlteam_090605/20090605/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Group unveils plan for 2nd Toronto NHL team

Move over Jim Balsillie - you've now got competition to bring another NHL team to southern Ontario. In fact, right in Toronto.

A Toronto public relations entrepreneur and his investor group unveiled an ambitious plan Friday to seek a second NHL team for the city.

The pitch by Andrew Lopez, 37, came complete with a proposed jersey, team name, business plan and a reported $1 billion in financing.

How does the 'Toronto Legacy ' grab you? That's what they're proposing to name the team.

They hope to have this NHL expansion team for Toronto in time for the 2012-13 season.

The group unveiled plans to build a new arena in north Toronto -- Downsview Park, a former military base -- to house the team.

Under the plan, the new arena would have multiple rinks and more seating than the Air Canada Centre, home to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"We intend to have a 30,000 seat arena, by far the biggest in the NHL. We think the biggest market in the NHL can support that kind of size," Lopez said.

He vowed that half those seats -15,000 - would come with a game price of $50 "so the regular working man can take his kid to a hockey game and not have to cost them a month's paycheque."

Lopez was joined by backers, Paul Pellegrini, a former Liberal strategist; and Herb Carnegie, a former minor league player and Order of Canada recipient.

Both have ties to major investment companies with very deep pockets, including Power Corp., Onex Corp., and Investors Group.

Lopez says he plans on donating a "significant" portion of the team profits to several charities.

"We intend to make it happen with private financing," Lopez promised.

The NHL says it was unaware of Lopez's group, and has no plans to expand the league.

The league is currently embroiled in a legal battle with Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie over his plan to buy the failing Phoenix Coyotes and move them to Hamilton, a short drive from Toronto.

Next week a U.S. bankruptcy judge will rule on the Balsillie bid. The league is fighting the move tooth and nail.

--
Bold plans.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You gotta admire their enthusiasm and the pricing model they're suggesting... but really, why are they going about it this way? Sounds like the NHL has not even been approached by them. Do they think they can force the NHL to expand? Have they not been watching how little success Jim Balsillie has had trying to force the NHL to sell him a team?

And the donation of a "significant portion" of the profits to the charities... are they hoping for some kind of leverage with that so that if the NHL fights this, they can paint the NHL as not wanting to save lives? (skeptic in me coming through there...)

There's gotta be something else to this...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This just all feels weird to me.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Pretty underwhelming presser too. Just looks like a bunch of Dung that can talk their way into loans.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:This just all feels weird to me.
Indeed.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Indeed.

Did you catch the video presentation?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Indeed.

Did you catch the video presentation?
Not yet. I only caught the beginning and then they cut to other news... is it available on-line?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum