GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The 2009 NHL Combine is underway

+4
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
shabbs
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 11:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let the evaluations begin! TSN is blogging live from the NHL Combine...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280255

Pretty funny read so far... "so and so" did the "such and such" test and then proceeded to vomit after it was done.

Poor kids.

Last edited by shabbs on Fri May 29, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

2The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 11:47 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

poor kids nothing, they came to this event knowing if they puked, they would impress, and it wouldn't be for how much they drank like the times when I used to puke and everyone laughed Laughing3

3The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:09 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:poor kids nothing, they came to this event knowing if they puked, they would impress, and it wouldn't be for how much they drank like the times when I used to puke and everyone laughed Laughing3
Brings back the memories of puking at practice... and puking right before a game usually because of the night before... especially on road trips... heh heh.

Ahhhh... good times.

4The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:15 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:poor kids nothing, they came to this event knowing if they puked, they would impress, and it wouldn't be for how much they drank like the times when I used to puke and everyone laughed Laughing3
Brings back the memories of puking at practice... and puking right before a game usually because of the night before... especially on road trips... heh heh.

Ahhhh... good times.

that's dedication to the game, I remember puking after the up downs at basketball practice, man I hate up downs and I still cringe when I see others doing them, those and wind sprints Puking2

5The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:17 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Schroeder and Palmieri apparently dominated the bench press so far, 17 reps so far, the most reps I have done is with a bucket of chicken in the last 5 years.

6The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Ahhhh... good times.

that's dedication to the game, I remember puking after the up downs at basketball practice, man I hate up downs and I still cringe when I see others doing them, those and wind sprints Puking2
Wind sprints... hated those... oh man...

7The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:24 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:Schroeder and Palmieri apparently dominated the bench press so far, 17 reps so far, the most reps I have done is with a bucket of chicken in the last 5 years.
I like to curl... a beer... right to my mouth... low weight, high reps... good cardio you know.

Laughing3

8The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:25 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:Schroeder and Palmieri apparently dominated the bench press so far, 17 reps so far, the most reps I have done is with a bucket of chicken in the last 5 years.
I like to curl... a beer... right to my mouth... low weight, high reps... good cardio you know.

Laughing3

now you are speaking my language lol. I would be like the guy on the Canadian Tire commercial doing situps in his lawn chair Laughing3

9The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:27 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Laughing3

now you are speaking my language lol. I would be like the guy on the Canadian Tire commercial doing situps in his lawn chair Laughing3
"Going for the burn?"

"Yeah".

Ahhhh....

"High-five."

10The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 12:29 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Laughing3

"Going for the burn?"

"Yeah".

Ahhhh....

"High-five."

just by reading that I have burned 3000 pretend calories lol.

back to the Combine though, the big boys are coming up this afternoon, Baby Schenn, Kane, the coveted Duchene, Hedman and Tavares. MPS wasn't included, very interesting, a lot of eyes should be on this guy.

11The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 1:21 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

1 on 1 video with Jordan Schroeder

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip177714#clip177714

12The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 2:19 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Here's some pretty exciting news:

NHL.com wrote: New look coming to Central Scouting Web site

With the start of the fitness testing portion of the 2009 Scouting combine on Friday, fans will be able -- for the first time -- to track the progress of some of their favorite prospects.

NHL Central Scouting's public Web site (CentralScouting.NHL.com) has been redesigned and will be re-launched Friday morning when the first group of prospects begins the fitness testing at 8:30 a.m. ET.

"The top 10 in each of the combine categories will be posted, along with the average score of all the competitors," Director of NHL Central Scouting E.J. McGuire told NHL.com. "This is very parallel to the NFL Web site where they publish combine results. We designed it after that."

While there is no on-ice component to the combine tests, there are a number of other measurements that will be taken. Among them are basics like height, weight, wingspan and flexibility.

Strength measurements will include tests for grip strength, bench press, timed push-ups and sit-ups, vertical leap and distance for a seated medicine ball toss.

The two most important tests are a pair of stationary bikes, which measure aerobic and anaerobic fitness.

The Wingate cycle ergometer test measures a player's anaerobic fitness by testing their maximum power output during a regular shift length.

The players' aerobic fitness is measured through a VO2 max test. This test attempts to measure how much time a player needs to rest between shifts.

The new look to Central Scouting's Web site only begins with the combine. Fans soon will be able to track more prospects as the site is further populated with things like statistics and schedules.

"The new structure and foundation allows us to load a lot more and a lot more current data on that public Web site for the consumer," said McGuire. "While the curtain was up, a lot of good improvements were made and we think the foundation is there to make a better product for the public to use."

Pretty cool stuff...

13The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:03 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

some of the info from the big boys, some intriguing speculation that Tavares may have an upper body injury, wonder how that will hurt his # 1 status?

2:25 pm - Some of the big boys were in this group and there were some big men on hand to watch. NHLPA agent Pat Brisson, Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, Leafs' Senior VP of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis, Leafs' Senior Advisor Cliff Fletcher, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson and Panthers GM Jacques Martin are all in attendance.
Possible #1 selection and OHL leading scorer John Tavares did not do upper-body exercises at all, leading to speculation that he has an upper-body injury. He did do 46 sit-ups, which is one of the highest totals seen on the day. Tavares is fit but there's obviously something going on - possibly a shoulder injury - as he did not do push-ups or the bench press. Tavares did do cycling and is looking good.
Evander Kane (#3) had an excellent workout. He had 17 bench presses, which ties the unofficial high for the day. Kane also did 47 push-ups, which seems to be far and away the best so far. In general, the 17-year-old looks like he's in really good shape. At 6'1, 176 pounds, he has lots of room to grow but was certainly ready for this judging by his workout.
Zack Kassian (#10) did an impressive 16 lifts on the bench.
Fourth-ranked Brayden Schenn did not get into the room until the next group started doing their exercises, so Schenn will probably now be going with Group #5.

14The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Interesting... any Sens presence there? I have not seen any mention.

Tavares must have a shoulder injury... that's not good timing...

15The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Interesting... any Sens presence there? I have not seen any mention.

Tavares must have a shoulder injury... that's not good timing...

The Sens are waiting to get an idea of how many first-round picks will be left after Burke decides how many he will take this year.

No sense in doing too much when you're just waiting for leftovers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum