GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller?

+8
Flo The Action
wprager
Mojo
shabbs
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

I wouldn't put too many expectations on this guy just yet. I would expect this guy to be at training camp and be given every chance to make the team, but he would have to outplay a lot of guys to make the team. This really seems like an AHL depth move. He does sound a lot like Shannon though.

17Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 12:52 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm pretty sick of "depth" to be honest.

We haven't had depth. We've got a 10-meter diving area that's pretty good, and the remaining 40 meters is the shallow end. Personally, if this is a solid 3rd, possibly 2nd liner, why not.

18Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 1:33 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm pretty sick of "depth" to be honest.

We haven't had depth. We've got a 10-meter diving area that's pretty good, and the remaining 40 meters is the shallow end. Personally, if this is a solid 3rd, possibly 2nd liner, why not.

Yeah, for sure. IF he can make the team - still a big if - he would be fun to see playing with Chris Kelly and Winchester/Ruutu etc. I have no issues with this signing - especially if it's Forsberg who's telling Murray to do it.

19Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 pm

Maybe Chris Kelly will be gone. Just a feeling.

20Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

like it's been said bingo is getting pretty thin. it's best to have a large number of potential nhl'ers even if they are t3rd 4rth liners, then to have forever AHLers. i'll be looking foward to seing this guy play. especially if he's learned to ply euro style, that's a fast paced game.

21Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 3:23 pm

If this guy didnt have a legit shot at playing in the NHL next year, he would have left a place where the hockey is better, the money is better, and the life style is also a tad bit better.

Again, he was added for nothing and was once in the Detroit organization where he was starting to develope as a pro. This is a very smart signing IMO for Murray and the Sens.

I dont expect the guy to put up 40 plus points, but I do suspect he may very well have a roster spot with a good camp.

22Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Neely4Life wrote:If this guy didnt have a legit shot at playing in the NHL next year, he would have left a place where the hockey is better, the money is better, and the life style is also a tad bit better.

Again, he was added for nothing and was once in the Detroit organization where he was starting to develope as a pro. This is a very smart signing IMO for Murray and the Sens.

I dont expect the guy to put up 40 plus points, but I do suspect he may very well have a roster spot with a good camp.

The guy may just want to come back to North America. Also, he has a much better chance getting noticed playing in the AHL than he does in Finland.

23Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Well, he left the AHL to go to Finland originally, so I dont think that is exactly a real indicator of where he will get noticed.

AHL, SEL, KHL, doesnt matter, the tallent will always get spotted, doesnt matter where you are. Playing in the AHL is just a short term, quicker root to the NHL, that is the one and only difference for a guy like him considering he grew up playing the North American game.

Once again, I'm not saying I expect this guy to be a world beater but he didnt come back just to settle down in the AHL, he's been there, done that. I can almost garentee you Murray said he has a legit shot at making the Sens out of camp, especially with 5 years of pro expierence. Way better young man coming out of college.

On another note, those FEL games are more defensive than you can imagine and the numbers he put up are actually quite impressive.

Put it this way, Keller>Bozak.

24Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 3:38 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I hope this kid works out. His numbers are OK...what is this Blues team in the FNL? And is the FNL worse than the Swedish Elite League and the AHL? Or is it better?

I've personally never heard of the FNL...Is it a Men's League??

He seemed to get better numbers there than in the WHL...

25Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 3:42 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Well, he left the AHL to go to Finland originally, so I dont think that is exactly a real indicator of where he will get noticed.

AHL, SEL, KHL, doesnt matter, the tallent will always get spotted, doesnt matter where you are. Playing in the AHL is just a short term, quicker root to the NHL, that is the one and only difference for a guy like him considering he grew up playing the North American game.

Once again, I'm not saying I expect this guy to be a world beater but he didnt come back just to settle down in the AHL, he's been there, done that. I can almost garentee you Murray said he has a legit shot at making the Sens out of camp, especially with 5 years of pro expierence. Way better young man coming out of college.

On another note, those FEL games are more defensive than you can imagine and the numbers he put up are actually quite impressive.

So Murray scooped one on Burke with this signing. Good on the old dog for doing that.

26Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Espoo Blues are one of the better team in the FEL. Ive been to an actual game between Jokerit and The Pelicans (worst name ever) in Helsinki, and the hockey there is just as good as the AHL, just a little more stiffling and boring.

The FEL is the Finnish Elite League and the best teams in that league can compete with the best in any other league in Europe.

Just picture every team in the FEL being The Wild, to simlify things. He was prob too small to play in the AHL and NHL originally, but the strength of a 20 year old and the strength of a 25 year old with 5 years pro, no comparisson. Weight aside, boys srength and mens strength are two diff animals.

27Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Neely4Life wrote:Well, he left the AHL to go to Finland originally, so I dont think that is exactly a real indicator of where he will get noticed.

Those are some fair points, but he may have come back here as a stepping stone to the NHL. What I mean is, he may think that while he might not be a shoe-in for the NHL right away, he certainly has a much better chance as a potential call-up which could lead to a permanent spot down the road. I hope this guy doesn't come in with the attitude that he should get a spot right away.

28Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 4:03 pm

I agree 100% with that, like I said in the previous post, the AHL isnt a better league, just a quicker route to the NHL. Good on him.

One thing I will go out on a limb and say is you will see him at some point this year in Ottawa. Who knows what will happen with the guy though. All I know is getting another chance to play in the NHL after being bounced around the world is a good indicator of the guys work ethic and love for the game. Look no further than Tim Thomas.

29Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 4:15 pm

If he gets the equivalant success to Thomas, then look out. I think Thomas will win the Vezina this year... I guess the equivalent would be a Hart or Rocket Richard trophy in 5 years...

30Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Hahaha, I dont expect that, and that just wont happen (I dont think, St Louis did it though). There is no reason that guy can't have some success and stick with the Sens though from the looks of things.

31Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I misread the last name and got very excited for a second. ⭕

I don't see how it could be looked at as anything other than a good move, though. No real risk to a signing like this.

32Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 4:23 pm

None. It's like buying a lotto ticket for 2 dollars with the potential to win the 49 mil. It's two bucks, but who knows.

33Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa to sign Ryan Keller? Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I am missing something here. Where exactly does it say the signing is confirmed? Or is that finnish website pretty popular?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum