GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nominees - GMHockey Most Outstanding Player

+3
SensGirl11
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

GMHockey Most Outstanding Player

Nominees - GMHockey Most Outstanding Player - Page 2 Vote_lcap278%Nominees - GMHockey Most Outstanding Player - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 78% [ 7 ]
Nominees - GMHockey Most Outstanding Player - Page 2 Vote_lcap222%Nominees - GMHockey Most Outstanding Player - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:If these Nominations were worded properly, you might get more accurate answers.

Just a suggestion.

Are these nominations for this year specifically or in general? Playoffs?

If it's in general...my vote stands.

The nomination process was a month ago, it would have been properly worded then. I believe this was GM's version of the Hart Trophy, so it would have been for this year.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

As much as I love Alfie, Malkin gets my nod here

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Alfredsson is not an elite player. He's obviously good, he has heart and soul, but he's not one of the leagues top players, let alone the leagues best, any year.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

I'm not saying he's flashy like Crosby and Malkin and Ovechkin, but he is right behind them in the elite category. I think he's a better leader than any of these guys at this point.

He does everything! He carries the team, when he's not playing the team is lost. He can score, he can hit, he can assist, he can play with half a body and still be effective.

He is truly an elite player and nobody can convince me otherwise.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:If these Nominations were worded properly, you might get more accurate answers.

Just a suggestion.

The nomination process was a month ago, it would have been properly worded then. I believe this was GM's version of the Hart Trophy, so it would have been for this year.

Ok then damnit! I guess I'll kinda vote for Malkin then. He's freaking amazing and he had a spectacular season.

BUT

I don't think you'll ever see a guy like Malkin break his face and come back the next game with a full face shield and play his heart out. He's just not that kind of outstanding player.

But sure, he's an awesome hockey player that can score at will.

He will never have the heart of Alfie though...it takes a special kind of player to have a heart like that. Alfie will never give up on his team and stop playing, whether he's being checked into next year or not. I guess that comes with age and wisdom too though.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:alfredsson??

this is Dung. Alfredsson shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Malkin, Ovechkin, Crysby, Lecavalier, Iginla, Kovalchuk, Savard, Chara, Lundqvist, Getzlaf, Nash, Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, J.Thornton, etc.

:KJK:

Alfie Post-Lock-out:

2005-2006: 77 GP, 103 pts (110 pt pace)
2006-2007: 77 GP, 87 pts (93 pt pace)
2007-2008: 70 GP, 89 pts (104 pt pace)
2008-2009: 79 GP, 74 pts (77 pt pace)

Then factor in that he's +93 over that stretch and he's lead the playoffs in scoring once and captained his team to the Finals.

Not elite? Are you serious? I'd be really interested to see how you could possibly try to justify saying that he doesn't belong in the same breath as guys like Nash or Savard. Really interested. scratch

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:One could argue that season was a fluke, and that it was the result of the team around him. I like Alfie, but I think we overrate him. Everyone else underrates him, so there's no happy medium.

'06-'07 was a fluke? He had 103 points in 77 games in '05-'06, and was leading the league in points at the all-star break in '07-'08 despite missing six games.

If anything, '08-'09 was a fluke.

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Alfredsson is not an elite player. He's obviously good, he has heart and soul, but he's not one of the leagues top players, let alone the leagues best, any year.

Are you kidding me?

Forget leadership intangibles and forget stats - Have you ever watched him play? I mean really watched him play?? He is one of the smartest, dynamic forwards in the league. He plays all areas of the ice with extreme precision. He's Lidstrom-esque in his unflashy style and utter dependability.

I suggest you watch a little closer next time you get a chance...

I've watched him every game for the last four years. Maybe it was harsh to say he wasn't elite, but to say he's the league's best player is an incredible stretch. It's just homerism to say so.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:I've watched him every game for the last four years. Maybe it was harsh to say he wasn't elite, but to say he's the league's best player is an incredible stretch. It's just homerism to say so.

He's not the league's best player. But he's definitely one of them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Alfie, for a few simple simple reasons:

1. He knows the shift ends when your Donkey is back on the bench, not when you are tired and the other team has the puck anyway.

2. Knee surgery, broken jaw, 1 game.

3. He plays the last minute of a 1-goal game ... regardless of which team is leading.

4. He just gave me a puppy.

Last edited by wprager on Mon May 25, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm OK with Alfie being nominated and it's nice to see the debate it started.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:

Just a suggestion.

Here is the original wording from Cap'n Clutch (who voted for Malkin btw):

"I know this could get confused with MVP but this one is just based on
who you feel was THE most outstanding player based on pure ability,
skill and effectiveness. Disregard what the impact is on their specific
team on this one."

So, not the Hart trophy equivalent.

I think the Sens-bias on this site came through pretty big here...

Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Not that there's anything wrong with that.
No, but it needs to be factored in every now and then.

Wink

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:

Wink

Personally I would have prefered many more nominations than we got but you live with what you have. 2 people nominated Alfie and 4 people nominated Malkin for this award.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Wink

Personally I would have prefered many more nominations than we got but you live with what you have. 2 people nominated Alfie and 4 people nominated Malkin for this award.
Indeed... the stats are the stats. Was there a list of players to choose from? I don't recall how it went down... or was it just people throwing out names?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Wink

Indeed... the stats are the stats. Was there a list of players to choose from? I don't recall how it went down... or was it just people throwing out names?

All the nomination threads were set up to be completely open. Throw out whatever name you felt deserved a nomination was how it worked and how I wanted it to be.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum