GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TB calls Burke's bluff: Schenn, Kaberle and the 7th

+6
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
shabbs
Riprock
davetherave
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

According to Sportsnet. Now do something Burke. :^^^^:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/05/12/leafs_lightning_trade_talks/

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

FYI everyone:

Bolts ask for Schenn in trade talk

SPORTSNET.CA/Tuesday, May 12, 2009

(Note: The Leafs selected Luke Schenn fifth overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.)

If Toronto wants to move up to the second pick in the 2009 NHL entry draft the asking price is two defenceman and the Leafs' own first-round pick.

Hockeycentral has been told the Tampa Bay Lightning, who will draft No. 2, say a deal would have to be a package that includes Luke Schenn, Tomas Kaberle and Toronto's 7th overall selection.

Toronto president and general manager Brian Burke, who has made no secret of his desire to climb up the selection process, said in an e-mail no offer has been made. He also reiterated Schenn is not going anywhere and has been so informed.

The Leafs traded up in last year's draft to select Schenn fifth overall. The rookie defenceman played in 70 games with the team this season, recording 14 points (two goals, 12 assists) and had a minus-12 rating while averaging the fourth-highest ice-time on the club (21:32 minutes per game).

With the No. 1 pick, the New York Islanders are expected to go with either John Tavares or Swedish defenceman Victor Hedman. Brampton Battalion forward Matt Duchene rounds out the top three prospects heading into the draft in Montreal on June 26-27.

---

I guess we'll soon see how big The Burke's golf balls are.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Would be a stupid move. First, you might get a great forward in either Tavares or Duchene, but you lose a solid, young, defenceman and future leader in Schenn.

Also, no guarantees you get Tavares, if that is who you want. If you do, you have to get the #1.

Leafs are better off trying for the 3rd pick, but good luck cause Colorado wants Duchene, and I do not blame them. He is fantastic.

Some possible deals, but again unlikely, would be:

Toskala and 7th overall, plus possibly more for Budaj, 3rd overall.

Kaberle, Tlusty, 7th overall for TB's 2nd overall

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:FYI everyone:

Tsk tsk tsk... late to the party...

http://www.gmhockey.com/toronto-maple-leaves-f38/the-genius-gets-genius-er-allegedly-t2283-15.htm#61346

Wink

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Would be a stupid move. First, you might get a great forward in either Tavares or Duchene, but you lose a solid, young, defenceman and future leader in Schenn.

Also, no guarantees you get Tavares, if that is who you want. If you do, you have to get the #1.

Leafs are better off trying for the 3rd pick, but good luck cause Colorado wants Duchene, and I do not blame them. He is fantastic.

Some possible deals, but again unlikely, would be:

Toskala and 7th overall, plus possibly more for Budaj, 3rd overall.

Kaberle, Tlusty, 7th overall for TB's 2nd overall

I can't see either.

A) Tampa is trying to lose salary

B) Toskala stunk this season. If the Avs were seriously willing to move the third to get a goalie, I'd offer Elliott and our first.

If Elliott could land us a top 3 pic while we have Leclaire, as much as I love Elliott, I would do it very quickly.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i would still be hesitant to trade elliot i mean maybe it is because of previous goalie issues but i wouldnt want to trade elliot based on what we hope leclaire can do

That's a good point too, but if you are basucally trading to get Tavares, Hedman, or Duchene, I dont see how you turn that down, especially considering he is only the backup for now... That trade could set you up for a long time.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:FYI everyone:

Tsk tsk tsk... late to the party...

http://www.gmhockey.com/toronto-maple-leaves-f38/the-genius-gets-genius-er-allegedly-t2283-15.htm#61346

Wink

Did somebody say party?

Cheers

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:That's a good point too, but if you are basucally trading to get Tavares, Hedman, or Duchene, I dont see how you turn that down, especially considering he is only the backup for now... That trade could set you up for a long time.

Could not have said it better myself. You do that deal in a heartbeat.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:If Elliott could land us a top 3 pic while we have Leclaire, as much as I love Elliott, I would do it very quickly.

I agree it would be hard to do, but am on board, a top 3 pick can have you set for 10 years plus, Elliott is already 25 I believe.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

"Luke Schenn and Tomas Kaberle -- two top-two defencemen -- to move five places ... does that make any sense to anybody? The answer is no," Burke told a Toronto radio station yesterday. "It's a lot of noise, it's a lot of aggravation and when you actually analyze what's proposed or what's available or what the rumour is, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either one of them." (Says Burke)

What did you expect talking such silly talk? You are asking for the 2nd overall pick this year, this is what you will have to give up for it (Because Tampa clearly doesn't want to part with it)

This Burke guy is a fool. I know that he's an awesome GM and gets things done, but what did he expect. You're not THAT good Burke.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:"Luke Schenn and Tomas Kaberle -- two top-two defencemen -- to move five places ... does that make any sense to anybody? The answer is no," Burke told a Toronto radio station yesterday. "It's a lot of noise, it's a lot of aggravation and when you actually analyze what's proposed or what's available or what the rumour is, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either one of them." (Says Burke)

What did you expect talking such silly talk? You are asking for the 2nd overall pick this year, this is what you will have to give up for it (Because Tampa clearly doesn't want to part with it)

This Burke guy is a fool. I know that he's an awesome GM and gets things done, but what did he expect. You're not THAT good Burke.

oh my don't let him read that, his confidence will be shattered and the Leafs will continue to suck for years to come, oh wait, what's his e-mail, send it to him, send it to him Laughing3

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:"Luke Schenn and Tomas Kaberle -- two top-two defencemen -- to move five places ... does that make any sense to anybody? The answer is no," Burke told a Toronto radio station yesterday. "It's a lot of noise, it's a lot of aggravation and when you actually analyze what's proposed or what's available or what the rumour is, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either one of them." (Says Burke)

No. But assuming that you will have to pay next to nothing just "to move five places" just because you're Brian Burke does makes sense, right?

What a jackass.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:

It comes with this stigma that he's the draft day God of the world. In reality, the GMs who have the top 3 picks might or might not be a little bit dumb, but they're not dumb enough to cast aside Tavares, Hedman or Duchene for scraps. Credit Burke for putting the feelers out there, then definitely credit TB (imagine that) for stepping up and saying, you can have him, but it'll cost you.

Still...something's bound to happen. Burke doesn't love anyone he inherited with the possible exception of Schenn, so all of these players are for sale. Kaberle, Kubina, Toskala, even prospects like Tlusty, Stallman etc., plus his early 1st rounder and his 2nd rounder - and any other pick he got via trade.

Silly as it sounds, Burke might just be stubborn enough to give up a substantial package for one of the top 3 picks. He's gonna have to if he wants to join the party.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum