GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Glen Murray, really?

+2
wprager
Jordo
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Glen Murray, really? Empty Glen Murray, really? Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

There's talk out there.
I know Jam's convinced, but he hasn't put forth a convincing enough argument in my books.

Here's what we know.

He was a 70-90 point guy, pre lockout.
Since lockout, he hasn't played over 65 games, battling several different types of injuries, which may be signs of his poor aging.
He logged quite a few minutes with Boston, playing special teams as well, when he was healthy.
He isn't in the position to ask for a lot of money.

For the right price tag, it could be an interesting gamble- but I believe that regardless- it is definately that- a gamble.

I personally think our money is better spent elsewhere, but am open to hearing convincing arguments.

Sell it to me, people.

2Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Might be a gamble worth taking in March. It may not be Murray, but it would be a similar type player (proven scorer, not quite done but on the down slope of his career). We could spend $1M now and gamble, or spend $1M plus a pick/prospect in March and gamble a lot less.

3Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:32 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Might be a gamble worth taking in March. It may not be Murray, but it would be a similar type player (proven scorer, not quite done but on the down slope of his career). We could spend $1M now and gamble, or spend $1M plus a pick/prospect in March and gamble a lot less.

I say we let Foligno, Bass, Zubov etc... show there stuff and if it doesn't work then make a move during the season.

4Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

I thought there were rumblings of him signing in Carolina "imminently"...

Personally, I think he'd be a decent pickup, as long as it's for no more $1-1.5M. We still need that PMD, especially if we can't sign Mez, so we are essentially stuck until we know what is going to happen with him.

Are we that sure that none of Zubov, Daugavins, O'Brien, etc (mainly Zubov) are ready for prime time? Do I even have all the names right, or am I having a brain-cramp?

It'd be even sweeter to be able to go into the season with a couple of million in cap space (after the PMD) if we were comfortable with one or two of them playing up full-time.

EDIT: I realize that the avatar has nothing to do with my nick or anything, but it looks nice, no?

5Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:I thought there were rumblings of him signing in Carolina "imminently"...

Personally, I think he'd be a decent pickup, as long as it's for no more $1-1.5M. We still need that PMD, especially if we can't sign Mez, so we are essentially stuck until we know what is going to happen with him.

Are we that sure that none of Zubov, Daugavins, O'Brien, etc (mainly Zubov) are ready for prime time? Do I even have all the names right, or am I having a brain-cramp?

It'd be even sweeter to be able to go into the season with a couple of million in cap space (after the PMD) if we were comfortable with one or two of them playing up full-time.

EDIT: I realize that the avatar has nothing to do with my nick or anything, but it looks nice, no?

Avatar is perfect. Acrobat is made by Adobe, which also makes Photoshop. And as much as I'd like to think that Angelina is a Sens fan, I think Photoshop may have had something to do with that. So, yes, it's quite appropriate for your nick.

Hey, I'm the guy with a Cylon Centurion (sans Sens logo) for an avatar.

6Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:57 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

I wouldn't be averse to taking a 1-year chance on Murray. He will never be where he was a few years ago, but he still may be able to put up more points/goals than who is your second line currently. If he can help the team, and you can fit it under the cap, why not?

It isn't like there are a ton of great options out there.

7Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:12 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Aetherial wrote:I wouldn't be averse to taking a 1-year chance on Murray. He will never be where he was a few years ago, but he still may be able to put up more points/goals than who is your second line currently. If he can help the team, and you can fit it under the cap, why not?

That's my exact thought on this and by picking up Murray, it lessens the hit left by Emery since Boston is on the hook for a portion of his salary anyway. I think we could get him for $1 million or just over. He brings great locker room prescence and on our second line would easily score 20 goals. Even though I'm excited about the youth movement in Ottawa, I'm still not convinced that any of these rookies or second year guys can bring their game up to Top 6 calibre. Vermette is even a question mark for top 6, so how can we throw in the likes of Foligno, Winchester, etc..

8Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

jamvan wrote:
Aetherial wrote:I wouldn't be averse to taking a 1-year chance on Murray. He will never be where he was a few years ago, but he still may be able to put up more points/goals than who is your second line currently. If he can help the team, and you can fit it under the cap, why not?

That's my exact thought on this and by picking up Murray, it lessens the hit left by Emery since Boston is on the hook for a portion of his salary anyway. I think we could get him for $1 million or just over. He brings great locker room prescence and on our second line would easily score 20 goals. Even though I'm excited about the youth movement in Ottawa, I'm still not convinced that any of these rookies or second year guys can bring their game up to Top 6 calibre. Vermette is even a question mark for top 6, so how can we throw in the likes of Foligno, Winchester, etc..

If he can easily score 20 goals then you're probably not getting him for $1M. It doesn't matter that Boston is paying him; all that means is that there are now only 29 teams potentially interested in his services.

I think he will get $2M from someone and, frankly, his presence will not help us much in the regular season (finish 5th instead of 6th?) However, with that $2M available in March, we could bring in someone worth a lot more than $2M/year, with a much reduced injury risk to boot.

As I said elsewhere, you really only need a top setup guy and a top sniper for each of your top-two lines, and the third guy on each line has to know how to skate, bang and stand in front of the goalie.

It is my firm believe that we have enough scoring right now to make the playoffs. At the deadline we can re-assess our weak spots and deal accordingly.

9Glen Murray, really? Empty Re: Glen Murray, really? Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:32 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
jamvan wrote:

If he can easily score 20 goals then you're probably not getting him for $1M. It doesn't matter that Boston is paying him; all that means is that there are now only 29 teams potentially interested in his services.

I think he will get $2M from someone and, frankly, his presence will not help us much in the regular season (finish 5th instead of 6th?) However, with that $2M available in March, we could bring in someone worth a lot more than $2M/year, with a much reduced injury risk to boot.

As I said elsewhere, you really only need a top setup guy and a top sniper for each of your top-two lines, and the third guy on each line has to know how to skate, bang and stand in front of the goalie.

It is my firm believe that we have enough scoring right now to make the playoffs. At the deadline we can re-assess our weak spots and deal accordingly.
That's a pretty fair assessment for sure and I'm fine with that, plus it gives us a chance to see what the young guys can do. There has to be a gem among them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum