GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rank YOUR Top 10 Ottawa Senators Prospects

+3
Cap'n Clutch
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

504Heater wrote:Perhaps we need to take another look into Zubov. He was on absolute fire until two things happened.

1.They took away the best player on the team - and his linemate Ryan Shannon. Then Shannon got hurt, then he got the permanent call-up.

2.They took away the only coach he's known in North America.

I keep forgetting that's where Z.Smith hit a bit of a roadblock as well. It's to be expected, hopefully hope isn't lost on Zubov being an effective player for us under Clouston.

Thats an interesting point Heater and you could be right, but we don't want to implant the Spezza syndrome into these kids. They need to find a way to persevere and learn how to play with other linemates. What happens if they get accustomed to a playing partner (here or in the A) and that player gets hurt? Are they just going to give up and be useless (Zubov was just awful in the 2nd half)? Would fans in this city ever accept that?

No, I'm thinking they need a little more seasoning before they get a semi-permanent call to the NHL.

Zubov, first of all, needs a ton of work on his defensive and checking games. Right now he's basically a less skilled version of Afinogenov and I wouldn't go near that guy with a 10 foot pole.

Smith needs to work on his skating and could use another year in the AHL to play a more prominent offensive role for a longer period of time. He especially needs to learn how to use his linemates better and become a threat regardless of who they are.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
Thats an interesting point Heater and you could be right, but we don't want to implant the Spezza syndrome into these kids. They need to find a way to persevere and learn how to play with other linemates. What happens if they get accustomed to a playing partner (here or in the A) and that player gets hurt? Are they just going to give up and be useless (Zubov was just awful in the 2nd half)? Would fans in this city ever accept that?

No, I'm thinking they need a little more seasoning before they get a semi-permanent call to the NHL.

Zubov, first of all, needs a ton of work on his defensive and checking games. Right now he's basically a less skilled version of Afinogenov and I wouldn't go near that guy with a 10 foot pole.

Smith needs to work on his skating and could use another year in the AHL to play a more prominent offensive role for a longer period of time. He especially needs to learn how to use his linemates better and become a threat regardless of who they are.

Yeah, good call Cash. All good points. Although, I think if he was (or anyone) was to coast on Clouston and not back-check, they'd find themselves in the AHL before they even knew what hit them.

Or riding the pine - which is exactly what I think is going to happen to Spezza and Heatley a couple of times next year. Until it gets ingrained in their noodles that this is an offensive-minded, upbeat coach, that'll let you have a lot of freedem in the offensive zone...unless you Diddle the dog defensively.

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:

Yeah, good call Cash. All good points. Although, I think if he was (or anyone) was to coast on Clouston and not back-check, they'd find themselves in the AHL before they even knew what hit them.

Or riding the pine - which is exactly what I think is going to happen to Spezza and Heatley a couple of times next year. Until it gets ingrained in their noodles that this is an offensive-minded, upbeat coach, that'll let you have a lot of freedem in the offensive zone...unless you Diddle the dog defensively.

I'm not specifically referring to his backchecking...just the calibre of his defensive awareness and defensive positioning. I haven't seen him play enough to say whether or not he backcheck's enough, but the people from Bingo that I've talked to don't seem to think it's much of a problem because they haven't mentioned it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
I'm not specifically referring to his backchecking...just the calibre of his defensive awareness and defensive positioning. I haven't seen him play enough to say whether or not he backcheck's enough, but the people from Bingo that I've talked to don't seem to think it's much of a problem because they haven't mentioned it.

Agreed. I thought he looked pretty good for the most part with us, but there is a ton for him to learn still. Now...the question is: is Curtis Hunt in Bingo the guy to do it, or do you trust him with a spot on the Sens and let Clouston drill the certain points home?

Tough call. I hope he makes it - I have a slightly bad feeling that he won't, but I hope he does.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum