GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rank YOUR Top 10 Ottawa Senators Prospects

+3
Cap'n Clutch
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Everyone must do one! Smile

I like reading people's rankings.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Everyone must do one! Smile

I like reading people's rankings.

What you will find even more interesting is post-draft whether Karlsson will rank 1 or 2 on the Ottawa Senators prospect chart.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:[It's not so much based on skill, just Wiercioch is more type of Dman. A big body with offensive upside.

Here's the thing: while Wiercioch's a big body, he seems to be a big body in the way that Kuba is a big body, rather than in the way Zdeno Chara or Brendan Witt is a big body.

Physicality, from what I've seen, isn't really a big part of his game. Whereas Karlsson can sometimes be absolutely merciless to the opposition. When he compared himself to Niklas Kronwall (another small guy), he wasn't that far off.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:[It's not so much based on skill, just Wiercioch is more type of Dman. A big body with offensive upside.

Here's the thing: while Wiercioch's a big body, he seems to be a big body in the way that Kuba is a big body, rather than in the way Zdeno Chara or Brendan Witt is a big body.

Physicality, from what I've seen, isn't really a big part of his game. Whereas Karlsson can sometimes be absolutely merciless to the opposition. When he compared himself to Niklas Kronwall (another small guy), he wasn't that far off.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight...

Rank them Asq. It's time for a pre-lim check.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote: I'm still in shock as to how good a season he had in Denver - as a freshman!

On the other hand, Karlsson at 18 was leading games in ice-time in the second round of the SEL playoffs.

Either way, we've got two guys who should help us out on the blue-line down the line. Karlsson just gets the edge for me.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

OK...

1. E. Karlsson (that was easy)
2. P .Regin
3. P. Wiericoch
4. I. Zubov
5. J. O'Brien
6. Z. Smith
7. L. Caporusso
8. A. Petersson
9. E. Condra
10. V. Anikeyenko

Really tough stuff. The last 2 were kind of random to be honest...I'm not familiar with the lower ranked players.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Anikeyenko's really good. I'm not sure if he's ever coming to North America though. Mirnov, Lyamin and Bashkirov are the three other Ruskies who probably won't ever play NHL hockey.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:Anikeyenko's really good. I'm not sure if he's ever coming to North America though. Mirnov, Lyamin and Bashkirov are the three other Ruskies who probably won't ever play NHL hockey.

Why wouldn't he come here? I don't understand these players sometimes, they feel like they are owed a spot on the team or something? I don't get it.

I did hear about him quite a bit this year though, so I thought he'd be ranked pretty high.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

We need to get Bashkirov's brother over here. I think if he can gain some weight, he could be awesome. He sounds better than his brother. We could have our own version of the Kostitsyn's but better.

1) Mathieu Choinard (The man so good we drafted him twice!!)
2) Alexander Giroux (I have a feeling this guy is going to be good!!)
3) Brooks Laich (him too!)
4) Alexei Kaigorodov (He's going to be good when he gets to N.A.)
5) Jakub Klepis (2002 draft!! WHAT WHAT!!)
6) Jack Grimes (He loved it when you called him Grimey)
7) Igor Mirnov (do we even own this guy's rights anymore?)
8) Alexander Daigle (Lot of hype surrounding this guy)
9) Johan Bjork (I like his music)
10) Mattias Karlsson Sad

Peter Schaefer Surre

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Roman Bashkirov

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96364

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This one is better, and he seems to have grown a few inches and put on some weight in the past year.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/roman_bashkirov

SensGirl11 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Anikeyenko's really good. I'm not sure if he's ever coming to North America though. Mirnov, Lyamin and Bashkirov are the three other Ruskies who probably won't ever play NHL hockey.

Why wouldn't he come here? I don't understand these players sometimes, they feel like they are owed a spot on the team or something? I don't get it.

I did hear about him quite a bit this year though, so I thought he'd be ranked pretty high.

They don't want to come here because they can make 20-50 times more money playing in Russia than they can playing in the AHL.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Perhaps we need to take another look into Zubov. He was on absolute fire until two things happened.

1.They took away the best player on the team - and his linemate Ryan Shannon. Then Shannon got hurt, then he got the permanent call-up.

2.They took away the only coach he's known in North America.

I keep forgetting that's where Z.Smith hit a bit of a roadblock as well. It's to be expected, hopefully hope isn't lost on Zubov being an effective player for us under Clouston.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

If we're talking about potential impacts in the NHL, I would go:

1 - Karlsson (best attitude in NHL prospects history)
2 - Wiercioch (I think can be a N1 Dman in the NHL if he plays all 4 years of college)
3 - Regin (very mature)
4 - Petersson (underated, skilled as hell)
5 - OBrien (potential 2nd line power forward, Playoffs kind of guy)
6 - Caporusso (pure sniper, always finds a way to get the rebound goal)
7 - Zack Smith
8 - Zubov
9 - Sandin
10 - Condra (good boy)

504Heater wrote:Perhaps we need to take another look into Zubov. He was on absolute fire until two things happened.

1.They took away the best player on the team - and his linemate Ryan Shannon. Then Shannon got hurt, then he got the permanent call-up.

2.They took away the only coach he's known in North America.

I keep forgetting that's where Z.Smith hit a bit of a roadblock as well. It's to be expected, hopefully hope isn't lost on Zubov being an effective player for us under Clouston.

Thats an interesting point Heater and you could be right, but we don't want to implant the Spezza syndrome into these kids. They need to find a way to persevere and learn how to play with other linemates. What happens if they get accustomed to a playing partner (here or in the A) and that player gets hurt? Are they just going to give up and be useless (Zubov was just awful in the 2nd half)? Would fans in this city ever accept that?

No, I'm thinking they need a little more seasoning before they get a semi-permanent call to the NHL.

Zubov, first of all, needs a ton of work on his defensive and checking games. Right now he's basically a less skilled version of Afinogenov and I wouldn't go near that guy with a 10 foot pole.

Smith needs to work on his skating and could use another year in the AHL to play a more prominent offensive role for a longer period of time. He especially needs to learn how to use his linemates better and become a threat regardless of who they are.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
Thats an interesting point Heater and you could be right, but we don't want to implant the Spezza syndrome into these kids. They need to find a way to persevere and learn how to play with other linemates. What happens if they get accustomed to a playing partner (here or in the A) and that player gets hurt? Are they just going to give up and be useless (Zubov was just awful in the 2nd half)? Would fans in this city ever accept that?

No, I'm thinking they need a little more seasoning before they get a semi-permanent call to the NHL.

Zubov, first of all, needs a ton of work on his defensive and checking games. Right now he's basically a less skilled version of Afinogenov and I wouldn't go near that guy with a 10 foot pole.

Smith needs to work on his skating and could use another year in the AHL to play a more prominent offensive role for a longer period of time. He especially needs to learn how to use his linemates better and become a threat regardless of who they are.

Yeah, good call Cash. All good points. Although, I think if he was (or anyone) was to coast on Clouston and not back-check, they'd find themselves in the AHL before they even knew what hit them.

Or riding the pine - which is exactly what I think is going to happen to Spezza and Heatley a couple of times next year. Until it gets ingrained in their noodles that this is an offensive-minded, upbeat coach, that'll let you have a lot of freedem in the offensive zone...unless you Diddle the dog defensively.

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:

Yeah, good call Cash. All good points. Although, I think if he was (or anyone) was to coast on Clouston and not back-check, they'd find themselves in the AHL before they even knew what hit them.

Or riding the pine - which is exactly what I think is going to happen to Spezza and Heatley a couple of times next year. Until it gets ingrained in their noodles that this is an offensive-minded, upbeat coach, that'll let you have a lot of freedem in the offensive zone...unless you Diddle the dog defensively.

I'm not specifically referring to his backchecking...just the calibre of his defensive awareness and defensive positioning. I haven't seen him play enough to say whether or not he backcheck's enough, but the people from Bingo that I've talked to don't seem to think it's much of a problem because they haven't mentioned it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum