GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects

+2
asq2
joeyjoejoe
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:16 pm

joeyjoejoe

Prospect
Prospect

Long time reader - first time poster.

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on Ottawa forward prospects. I truely think Regin (replaces Vermette and hopefully Kelly) and Bass (replace Neil) will make the team. I am wondering about Ilya Zubov... I have heard next to nothing about this guy except pretty decent scouting reports... Is he the real deal? Can he play a top 6 role?

Just wanted to know if he'll be there in the fall or if he'll bolt back to Russia.

2Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:20 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

joeyjoejoe wrote:Long time reader - first time poster.

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on Ottawa forward prospects. I truely think Regin (replaces Vermette and hopefully Kelly) and Bass (replace Neil) will make the team. I am wondering about Ilya Zubov... I have heard next to nothing about this guy except pretty decent scouting reports... Is he the real deal? Can he play a top 6 role?

Just wanted to know if he'll be there in the fall or if he'll bolt back to Russia.

Welcome aboard. Smile

In terms of Zubov - the apparent attitude of Sens scouts is that the skill and skating is there, but the work ethic hasn't quite come along with it. He didn't finish well down the stretch this season IIRC.

IMO he certainly has it in him to play a top-6 role, but he still needs to improve his conditioning. He took a big step last off-season by staying in North America and working out, but it was the opinion of one of our chief scouts that he's not quite there yet.

If you go to the Sens multimedia section on the official website, and look under prospects on SensTV, you should find a profile of Zubov. The few highlights that are shown IMO answer the question that he's got the skill.

I think it was good to integrate him a bit last season, and hopefully that continues this year, although at this point I think that as you said Regin is much closer considering his defensive prowess.

3Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:21 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

As to whether he'll bolt back to Russia or not: I think that's anybody's guess at this point.

I think he's more likely to ask for a trade than do that, though. He's got the ability to be an NHL player.

4Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Personally, I dont like Zubov and think that it is only a matter of time before he is with another organization or back in Russia. He will more than likely end up back in Bingo next year short of an outstanding training camp with Ottawa.

Regin can def make the leap to the NHL IMO and play a 3rd line role and perhaps will do enough to move up to the 2nd line center spot. Very strong all around game and its just a matter of time before he is a full time NHLer.

Bass, perfect 4th line center that can fill in on the PK once in a while and drop the gloves with some of the heavy wieghts in the league.

5Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Welcome JoeyJoeJoe!

cheers

IMHO the problem is the Senators haven't given their prospects enough playing time to (a) properly evaluate them (b) help them develop at the NHL level.

Watched Zubov both live and on the televised games and couldn't get any kind of read on him.

As for Regin, IMHO a big mistake for Murray not to give him a shot in Ottawa from Day One. He certainly has skill, size, smarts and heart. But he needs playing time.

Hope to see more of you!

Cheers

6Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Welcome! Nice to have you.

Now this is a post that I have immense interest in. So will most of us.

I think you may have nailed Regin's projection as a top 6 forward in the mold of Vermette - without the blazing speed though. Great hockey sense and IQ, amazing passer - and as we saw, a great shot when he uses it.

Zubov is close to taking his shot in the NHL, but he absolutely died late in the year in the AHL - which is always a sign of conditioning. He needs to work really hard this summer and perhaps spend the first few months in the AHL to hone his skills before he makes it. If he bolts for Russia, that's really his loss more than ours I think.

Z.Smith is like Kelly, but a little bigger. Same great hockey sense, huge heart, will drop the gloves with anyone (something he'd best stop soon Smile ). He'll be a great 3rd liner checking center for us. The offense is a big question mark, but he LOVES parking his arse in front of the net, and that's always welcome.

Jim O'Brien has the skills to be a fantastic checker. Big body, booming slap shot and a filthy wrister put this guy's offensive upside high, but I think he emerges as a great checker with Z.Smith in 2 years time.

Then there's Condra, Greening, Caporusso, Grant. All four have nice potential, but are probably 2 or 3 years away from even getting a shot at the NHL. I like Greening and Cap a lot. I think they're NHL 3rd liners (noticing a trend?) in 2 1/2 years.

EDIT: Caporusso may actually be a 2nd liner in the future. Real wildcard.

7Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:45 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think the most interesting prospect to keep an eye on is Patrick Weircioch. This kid has the potential to be a 40+ point defenseman in the NHL and provide solid, solid defensive play.

Regin will be a great player in my opinion -- very smart, very smooth with the puck and uses his body effectively. Expect to see him in Ottawa on a semi-permanent basis next season.

Zubov however is a question mark. He has the skills, but his conditioning and ethic might be a bit of a question mark. Hopefully everything works out, there seems to be a premium in the NHL on guys who can produce upwards of 35 points and play on minimum salary contracts.

8Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If for some reason Kelly is moved, then Regin and Z. Smith would be my choices to replace him. I have no idea what the roster will look like, whether people are coming in out going out, and the ones that are on the out are replaced from within or free agent signings. I'd like the Senators to give more roster spots to young players who have earned and paid dues in the AHL. A lot depends I suppose on the current FA's on the team and what happens. Neil is likely gone, but we've seen it time and time where they re-sign last minute.

9Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:55 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I think you may have nailed Regin's projection as a top 6 forward in the mold of Vermette - without the blazing speed though. Great hockey sense and IQ, amazing passer - and as we saw, a great shot when he uses it.

He can get up and down the ice in a jiffy when he needs to though. cool)

He may not be a Vermette, but speed-wise he's not a Heatley either.

10Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:57 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensTV's Analysis of Zubov. Some nice hands, for sure.

11Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
He can get up and down the ice in a jiffy when he needs to though. cool)

He may not be a Vermette, but speed-wise he's not a Heatley either.

Good to know, I knew he had some speed. 'Jiffy', wicked. :^^^^:

12Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Empty Re: Ilya Zubov and other sens prospects Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The move by Zubov at :20. :00:

Here's Regin's, for those interested:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum