GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Playoff Surprises So Far...

+6
SensFan71
LeCaptain
PKC
SensGirl11
davetherave
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:56 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Ovechkin being invisible

More like too visible, for the wrong reasons...

17Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:58 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Ovechkin being invisible

More like too visible, for the wrong reasons...

been a tough playoff for all those offensive stars, where is Fedorov to calm them down and get them playing well again?

18Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 pm

strachattack

Rookie
Rookie

Rangers up 2-0 over the Caps. I didn't think the Caps were Cup bound but I thought they could handle the Rangers with ease despite Lundvquist.

I guess i'm also surprised the Sharks are down 2-0. I thought it would be a tough series but I thought they would have won one at home.

Does this series remind you of watching the Sens play the Ducks a bit? I HATE the Ducks and have never gotten over losing the cup to them and I find my gut churning watching this series. It's bringing back a flood of negative feelings. The Ducks simply don't allow second chances and are all over the few rebounds Hiller lets out. SJ's taken alot of shots but from very safe distances. It also reminds me of when the Sens would out play, out shoot the Leafs and Belfour would shut the door. The Sens would play perimeter hockey. I feel for Shark fans.

19Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

strachattack wrote:Rangers up 2-0 over the Caps. I didn't think the Caps were Cup bound but I thought they could handle the Rangers with ease despite Lundvquist.

I guess i'm also surprised the Sharks are down 2-0. I thought it would be a tough series but I thought they would have won one at home.

Does this series remind you of watching the Sens play the Ducks a bit? I HATE the Ducks and have never gotten over losing the cup to them and I find my gut churning watching this series. It's bringing back a flood of negative feelings. The Ducks simply don't allow second chances and are all over the few rebounds Hiller lets out. SJ's taken alot of shots but from very safe distances. It also reminds me of when the Sens would out play, out shoot the Leafs and Belfour would shut the door. The Sens would play perimeter hockey. I feel for Shark fans.

That's exactly how I feel watching this series now that you mention it.

But...I no longer loathe the Ducks for whatever reason (Booby Ryan I think). I enjoy watching another team struggle, it's human nature from time to time I guess - and also a good way to examine the elements of the team you cheer for and try to make sure that you can avoid this in future.

I think, if the Sharks lose that is, that people underestimate how diddled things will get. Like...they had the perfect, playoff ready, experienced team - and yet somehow, some rookie goaltender is taking everything away from them. Wow. It truly is shocking.

20Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I also think the Sens will acquire Cheechoo in the summer.

21Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:17 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I also think the Sens will acquire Cheechoo in the summer.

any inside information on this? is he UFA? if so, what you think he would be worth? if not, what do we give up for a trade?

22Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:

any inside information on this? is he UFA? if so, what you think he would be worth? if not, what do we give up for a trade?

I've always thought that the Sens were after Cheechoo. DW didn't trade him last summer because he knew that he had gone through a horrific hernia surgery and was just getting back to his old form. He worked his arse off to get back into the Sharks lineup, but then had yet another crappy year, being usurpt by the younger guys in SJ.

He's got two more years left at 3 million per year - and I think if the Sharks miss, they'll be looking to trade a few key guys. Neely mentioned Marleau to Montreal, I think we get Cheechoo.

The price would be low enough for us to handle. Probably a 3rd round pick and a low level prospect. The Sharks need to take a long hard look at their organization if they lose to the Ducks. They really do.

23Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:24 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
strachattack wrote:Rangers up 2-0 over the Caps. I didn't think the Caps were Cup bound but I thought they could handle the Rangers with ease despite Lundvquist.

That's exactly how I feel watching this series now that you mention it.

But...I no longer loathe the Ducks for whatever reason (Booby Ryan I think). I enjoy watching another team struggle, it's human nature from time to time I guess - and also a good way to examine the elements of the team you cheer for and try to make sure that you can avoid this in future.

I think, if the Sharks lose that is, that people underestimate how diddled things will get. Like...they had the perfect, playoff ready, experienced team - and yet somehow, some rookie goaltender is taking everything away from them. Wow. It truly is shocking.

I loathe the team - the Ducks - but I admire their players. I also have a few San Jose players in my office pool so... my perspective of this series isn't so objective. Perhaps if I hadn't I would enjoy watching SJ crash and burn. Still, I think the Duck's style of play is just as frustrating to watch as it is to play against I imagine.

I didn't watch San Jose much at all this season. I paid attention to their record but not much else. Within that realm they looked really good. When I look at those very same players play against the Ducks I see something entirely different. They look tainted. Cheechoo is the only one that appears to be willing to put it all out there. I was impressed with his play last night but the rest of them have disappeared.

24Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:26 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

I've always thought that the Sens were after Cheechoo. DW didn't trade him last summer because he knew that he had gone through a horrific hernia surgery and was just getting back to his old form. He worked his arse off to get back into the Sharks lineup, but then had yet another crappy year, being usurpt by the younger guys in SJ.

He's got two more years left at 3 million per year - and I think if the Sharks miss, they'll be looking to trade a few key guys. Neely mentioned Marleau to Montreal, I think we get Cheechoo.

The price would be low enough for us to handle. Probably a 3rd round pick and a low level prospect. The Sharks need to take a long hard look at their organization if they lose to the Ducks. They really do.

I would totally be down with this. I would much rather have Cheechoo then Comrie too. I could totally see him excelling here. Again, I was really impressed with his intensity last night.

25Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

strachattack wrote:
I loathe the team - the Ducks - but I admire their players. I also have a few San Jose players in my office pool so... my perspective of this series isn't so objective. Perhaps if I hadn't I would enjoy watching SJ crash and burn. Still, I think the Duck's style of play is just as frustrating to watch as it is to play against I imagine.

I didn't watch San Jose much at all this season. I paid attention to their record but not much else. Within that realm they looked really good. When I look at those very same players play against the Ducks I see something entirely different. They look tainted. Cheechoo is the only one that appears to be willing to put it all out there. I was impressed with his play last night but the rest of them have disappeared.

The Ducks seem built for this time of year. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Ebbett, Marchant, even Selanne, Neidermayer big time, Pronger big time, Beuchemin big time - and they used to rely on the best playoff goalie in a long time. Now they're leaning on this kid and just frustrating the Dung out of the Sharks' PP. I can't believe how much they've messed up the Sharks rhythm coming into the zone on PPs.

Meanwhile, I haven't heard Setagucchi's named called often, Pavelski's playing well, but nothing special, Thornton is passing well, but they can't finish, Boyle is missing, Blake is being thwarted at every turn, Marleau is a non-factor.

Clowe is amazing though. I'm surprised that the rest of the team isn't riding him into the sunset, he's like a Brendan Morrow. All heart, but he can't do it alone. They need to lose some teeth, take off the dress and start punishing the Ducks.

Or they can just roll over and die. Which is what they usually do anyway.

26Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:34 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
strachattack wrote:

The Ducks seem built for this time of year. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Ebbett, Marchant, even Selanne, Neidermayer big time, Pronger big time, Beuchemin big time - and they used to rely on the best playoff goalie in a long time. Now they're leaning on this kid and just frustrating the Dung out of the Sharks' PP. I can't believe how much they've messed up the Sharks rhythm coming into the zone on PPs.

Meanwhile, I haven't heard Setagucchi's named called often, Pavelski's playing well, but nothing special, Thornton is passing well, but they can't finish, Boyle is missing, Blake is being thwarted at every turn, Marleau is a non-factor.

Clowe is amazing though. I'm surprised that the rest of the team isn't riding him into the sunset, he's like a Brendan Morrow. All heart, but he can't do it alone. They need to lose some teeth, take off the dress and start punishing the Ducks.
Or they can just roll over and die. Which is what they usually do anyway.

Laughing3 Very good sum up. I agree.

27Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:39 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Love the price for him if it is market value, bye bye Lee and the 3rd rounder, and 3 m, that is definitely handled by the cap space. We could deal Auld with the emergence of Elliott to clear a million.

28Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
Love the price for him if it is market value, bye bye Lee and the 3rd rounder, and 3 m, that is definitely handled by the cap space. We could deal Auld with the emergence of Elliott to clear a million.

Hmmm...Brian Lee huh? That's actually a little tough. Lee might turn into something right before our eyes next year. I wonder if we can steer them more towards Picard (although, I doubt it pretty highly).

29Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:20 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Hmmm...Brian Lee huh? That's actually a little tough. Lee might turn into something right before our eyes next year. I wonder if we can steer them more towards Picard (although, I doubt it pretty highly).

well if not Lee, which I alright in giving him another chance, it's down to Bell or Picard, or do we package one of those two with Auld, then that 3rd?

30Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
well if not Lee, which I alright in giving him another chance, it's down to Bell or Picard, or do we package one of those two with Auld, then that 3rd?

Not Bell, we haven't re-signed him as an RFA and he doesn't have any worth. I've just taking a shot here, but I'd say a 3rd rounder and Ilya Zubov. I doubt the Sharks have a ton of interest in Zubov, but I also think they want a decent prospect.

I could be way off though. Smile

31Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:44 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Not Bell, we haven't re-signed him as an RFA and he doesn't have any worth. I've just taking a shot here, but I'd say a 3rd rounder and Ilya Zubov. I doubt the Sharks have a ton of interest in Zubov, but I also think they want a decent prospect.

I could be way off though. Smile

if they were for Zubov, then I say yes, get it done, not sure if he is going to work out in the bigs or not, if they say Smith, Regin, O'Brien, then ixnay on it right away.

Last edited by SensFan71 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

32Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

-David Moss
-Brent Seabrook

Neither really huge surprises, but both playing excellent hockey.

-Brian Campbell

He is not.

33Playoff Surprises So Far... - Page 2 Empty Re: Playoff Surprises So Far... Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:50 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'll be surprised if there aren't burning cars and looting after game 4 of the Habs-Bruins series.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum