GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Don Cherry

+9
shabbs
sennies1980
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
beerandsens
wprager
Phoenix30
dennycrane
asq2
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Don Cherry Empty Don Cherry Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:20 pm

Why is this guy even allowed to be on TV anymore? I have a hard time finding anything intelligent that he says. Hearing his opinions about Europeans, well it just pisses me off. Having live a great portion of my life living in Europe, I have great respect for them and their culture. The way he talks about the Euros and their ways of playing is ridiculous and misplaced. Not only the Europeans, but also the French-Canadians.

If I were to go on TV and say I hate Black players, how they play, and that they should go back were they came from, what would happen? I would never be on TV again and be considered racist and ignorant. Cherry can say this about Euro's and French Canadians and is cheered for it? Am I the only one seeing this double standard?

This guy is an idiot and a waste of air time. I know I may have ranted and rambled, but what I heard tonight just put me over the edge.

2Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Used to like the guy, but he definitely crossed the line.

3Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:44 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I haven't watched Coach's Corner since I was 12. I find his attitude hateful and he is an embarassment.

But considering the gong show during their second intermission with Al Strachan and Mike Millbury, I guess they don't really care about professionalism.

4Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:48 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

CBC is a train-wreck.

If it weren't for Jim Hughson and the fact that they have a monopoly on Saturday games (while RDS will show the Habs game), I wouldn't watch.

5Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:47 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:I haven't watched Coach's Corner since I was 12. I find his attitude hateful and he is an embarassment.

But considering the gong show during their second intermission with Al Strachan and Mike Millbury, I guess they don't really care about professionalism.

It gave me a good laugh. Maybe Millbury was tired of hearing about Strachan's rumors.

6Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:01 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Why is this guy even allowed to be on TV anymore? I have a hard time finding anything intelligent that he says. Hearing his opinions about Europeans, well it just pisses me off. Having live a great portion of my life living in Europe, I have great respect for them and their culture. The way he talks about the Euros and their ways of playing is ridiculous and misplaced. Not only the Europeans, but also the French-Canadians.

If I were to go on TV and say I hate Black players, how they play, and that they should go back were they came from, what would happen? I would never be on TV again and be considered racist and ignorant. Cherry can say this about Euro's and French Canadians and is cheered for it? Am I the only one seeing this double standard?

This guy is an idiot and a waste of air time. I know I may have ranted and rambled, but what I heard tonight just put me over the edge.

Jason Blake is neither a Euro nor French-Canadian. They should just say tat to him every time he goes on one of these rants. And if the majority of NHL games ended 1-nil I think you'd see quite a few more of the players celebrating their goals.

7Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:14 am

Blake is American if I'm not mistaken, so I should simplify it to Non-English-Canadians

8Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:24 am

asq2 wrote:CBC is a train-wreck.

If it weren't for Jim Hughson and the fact that they have a monopoly on Saturday games (while RDS will show the Habs game), I wouldn't watch.

Yep. I'm quite anxious to see what TSN/CTV can do with the Olympic coverage. They've already poached two of the best in Williams and Cuthbert so I'm thinking it will be very good.

9Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:15 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Blake is American if I'm not mistaken, so I should simplify it to Non-English-Canadians

Didn't know that, but my point still stands. Blake is neither Euro nor French Canadian, yet he celebrates scoring a goal in a 1-5 game (that his team is losing) with as much vigor as Ovechkin does after he scores two goals late to tie up a game, then pots the winner in OT. Short-handed.

Whenever Don opens his mouth to plod yet again along this road Ron should simply say "Jason Blake" or the name of any other non0Euro, non-FC player who celebrates too loud, doesn't go into corners, or goes into corners but wears a visor.

I love Don when he talks about our troops, minor league players, no-touch icing and controlling the weapons-grade equipment. I tolerate it when he talks about fighting. This other stuff I could do without.

10Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

His rant about Ovechkin celebrating goals was horrid. Who really thinks there is one way for all hockey players to act?

Score a goal and celebrate if you want to. You've earned it, you're in the NHL.

11Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:His rant about Ovechkin celebrating goals was horrid. Who really thinks there is one way for all hockey players to act?

Score a goal and celebrate if you want to. You've earned it, you're in the NHL.

I personally love it when Ovie celebrates his goals, it generates excitement and the young players love it. I know quite a few refs in minor hockey, they see a lot of the kids doing the "ovie fist pump" when they score. it's good for the game, they want to be like ovechkin, how long has it been since you can say that about young kids?

12Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:29 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

This is why I no longer watch coach's corner. He is a bigot, and a hypocritical one at that. When Pronger stomped on Ryan Kesler's foot, Cherry was adamant that Pronger should not have been suspended for as long as he was. The guy has been suspended 8 different times in his career, and for Cherry to defend such a blatant, vicious act was appalling. Guarantee if that had been someone else, had it been Havlat, Cherry would have called for him to be kicked out of the sport. I have zero respect for Don Cherry, and CBC should not renew his contract.

That being said, I enjoy Ron MacLean's interviews. He also has some very nice suits, which are difficult to see due to Cherry's flamboyant fashion sense.

13Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:32 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:This is why I no longer watch coach's corner. He is a bigot, and a hypocritical one at that. When Pronger stomped on Ryan Kesler's foot, Cherry was adamant that Pronger should not have been suspended for as long as he was. The guy has been suspended 8 different times in his career, and for Cherry to defend such a blatant, vicious act was appalling. Guarantee if that had been someone else, had it been Havlat, Cherry would have called for him to be kicked out of the sport. I have zero respect for Don Cherry, and CBC should not renew his contract.

That being said, I enjoy Ron MacLean's interviews. He also has some very nice suits, which are difficult to see due to Cherry's flamboyant fashion sense.

once CBC loses the exclusive contract for hockey broadcasts (which will do them in by the way, little mosque on the prairie will not save them), you will no longer see Don Cherry anymore, unless he becomes a bus boy at one of his own restaurants. (which aren't very good)

14Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:46 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:This is why I no longer watch coach's corner. He is a bigot, and a hypocritical one at that. When Pronger stomped on Ryan Kesler's foot, Cherry was adamant that Pronger should not have been suspended for as long as he was. The guy has been suspended 8 different times in his career, and for Cherry to defend such a blatant, vicious act was appalling. Guarantee if that had been someone else, had it been Havlat, Cherry would have called for him to be kicked out of the sport. I have zero respect for Don Cherry, and CBC should not renew his contract.

once CBC loses the exclusive contract for hockey broadcasts (which will do them in by the way, little mosque on the prairie will not save them), you will no longer see Don Cherry anymore, unless he becomes a bus boy at one of his own restaurants. (which aren't very good)

I don't know... they now have jeopardy on weekdays... And the raptors on sundays... pretty huge!

15Don Cherry Empty Re: Don Cherry Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

I don't know... they now have jeopardy on weekdays... And the raptors on sundays... pretty huge!

meh to jeopardy and raptors basketball, the basketball team hasn't been interesting in years and sadly, haven't seen playoff games since the whiner, I mean Carter left.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum