GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs

+11
mattshock
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
rooneypoo
TeamRenzo
Hayden
shabbs
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:26 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh heh. Of all people, Don Cherry is the least likely to be picking on dress code habits...

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/12/15/7749806-sun.html

I guess he's got a lot of free time these days.

2Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:02 am

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Now that we're a sub 500 team - shouldn't we get broadcast coast to coast?

We won for 10 straight years and that didn't work - now we're not playing well and we still don't get any love from CBC.

I can't wait for them (CBC) to lose Saturday night's - and it's time for Don to go - he gets harder and harder to listen to.

3Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:53 am

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

Sat night's game was painful to watch, I'm glad I had UFC to watch instead.

4Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:59 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Heh heh. Of all people, Don Cherry is the least likely to be picking on dress code habits...

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/12/15/7749806-sun.html

I guess he's got a lot of free time these days.

Fisher was pointing to this fact, too, with his closing comments: "Seeing some of his outfits, I don't know if he should be commenting." That may well be the closest thing to an insult that I've ever heard Mike Fisher say.

5Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:48 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well he did target Fisher specifically and Meszaros. They showed the two entering individually with toques and winter jackets, and Cherry said "these guys look like thugs that will steal your hub caps". It was a stupid comment to make. He also commented on Fisher and Meszaros talking and insinuated they were talking about "don't hit me too hard tonight".

6Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:57 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What a goof Cherry is. Isolate a moment where there walking in from the cold and imply that's a big reason for their woes? Seriously, show Ovechkin coming off the bus at SBP in the middle of February and I doubt you see him with nothing but a crisp, freshly pressed suit and tie. What a stupid waste of TV time that was.

- Unknown Author

7Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DashRiprock wrote:It was a stupid comment to make. He also commented on Fisher and Meszaros talking and insinuated they were talking about "don't hit me too hard tonight".

That was comedy gold. The thug stuff, not so much.

8Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Hahaha, Cherry is funny, take him for what it is guys. He lived his life a certain way and doesnt have a prob spitting off about it, haha. Its funny. I don't agree, but I still laugh.

9Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I still like Cherry. I don't think he knew that was Fish, since he likes Fish.

He does have a point, by the way. Fraternizing with the competition before the game is usually a bad thing. It shows a lack of passion. Do you have to hate the guys you play against? Of course not, but you can always catch up and shoot the bull after the game. It just didn't look good.

As for dressing to teh nines, I suppose it can parallel overall discipline. It's like bowing when you leave the Dojo. It doesn't make you a better at martial arts, but it's part of teh overal mental approach.

Character matters. Discipline matter. Dressing like a guy going to his Monday night beer-league game and chatting it up with your buddies on the way to the dressing room is OK for, well, beer league and your buddies.

10Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:29 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My point is the way they were dressed was due to coming in from the cold. Show AO getting off the bus in Ottawa in a month or so and tell me if he doesn't have a trench coat and toque on. Is he dressed like a thug because of it? And like Fisher said: the dress code hasn't changed in 9 years so it's not a relevant comment. fraternizing with the opposing team I can see his point though.

- Unknown Author

11Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:My point is the way they were dressed was due to coming in from the cold. Show AO getting off the bus in Ottawa in a month or so and tell me if he doesn't have a trench coat and toque on. Is he dressed like a thug because of it? And like Fisher said: the dress code hasn't changed in 9 years so it's not a relevant comment. fraternizing with the opposing team I can see his point though.

Written down dress code may not be the same as what the head coach demands out of his players. That was Cherry's comment. Yes, Fisher is right that you don't see much if he's wearing a trench coat, but the point is he wasn't (and even if he was, not dressing under that coat would be the same in my opinion).

I'm not saying that dressing up makes them better players, but it's all part and parcel of the same thing -- discipline, accountability.

P.S. AO might be wearing one of these in January/February:
Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs C7af_1_bl

12Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:My point is the way they were dressed was due to coming in from the cold. Show AO getting off the bus in Ottawa in a month or so and tell me if he doesn't have a trench coat and toque on. Is he dressed like a thug because of it? And like Fisher said: the dress code hasn't changed in 9 years so it's not a relevant comment. fraternizing with the opposing team I can see his point though.

Written down dress code may not be the same as what the head coach demands out of his players. That was Cherry's comment. Yes, Fisher is right that you don't see much if he's wearing a trench coat, but the point is he wasn't (and even if he was, not dressing under that coat would be the same in my opinion).

I'm not saying that dressing up makes them better players, but it's all part and parcel of the same thing -- discipline, accountability.

P.S. AO might be wearing one of these in January/February:
Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs C7af_1_bl

meh. Razz

- Unknown Author

13Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:13 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:What a goof Cherry is. Isolate a moment where there walking in from the cold and imply that's a big reason for their woes? Seriously, show Ovechkin coming off the bus at SBP in the middle of February and I doubt you see him with nothing but a crisp, freshly pressed suit and tie. What a stupid waste of TV time that was.

Actually they showed the caps getting out of the bus wearing suits and ties only and it was in MTL the same night. Not that it excuses the comments but just saying...

14Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Has Cherry looked in the mirror? He looks like the ultimate thug/****ing idiot.

15Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Empty Re: Don Cherry: Sens dress like thugs Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:31 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I'm not sure I agree with the thug part, but yes!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum