GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Torts: Made In Manhattan

+8
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
caissie_1
Nasty Nas
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is Torts DA MAN in Manhattan?

Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_lcap238%Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 5 ]
Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_lcap215%Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_lcap246%Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 46% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mind you, is this Sather being a genius, or just doing a Hail Mary. The Rangers will probably come out guns blazing the next 5 games and that might push them into a playoff spot for good.

Like when Lou fired Julien at the end of the year before the playoffs.

17Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Sather has to fix that mess or Torterella is just going to be a face behind the bench with a big mouth.

18Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
marakh wrote:Dude's in my avatar is callled Naked Snake (CIA agent). Well, that's his codename, we dont really his real name Main character in Metal Gear Solid 3. Also called Big Boss, later on in his life.

As for Torts, I would assume he is gonna make the "clouston" style, if what you say is true about him having confidence in Lundqvist. But how long will that work? As I said, if they keep plaing Redden 20+ minutes, they are puting themselves in toruble.

Verykewl avatar, M.

IMHO Wade The Blade won't be playing 20+ minutes under The Tortorinator.

Yep, I like this picture. It's at the end of the game, during a very sad moment...

19Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good luck fixing that. Merlin himself couldn't undo those contracts.

20Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Sather has to fix that mess or Torterella is just going to be a face behind the bench with a big mouth.

Well, according to those who know in New York (like Steve Zipay at Newsday) the owners of the Rangers consider Slats has the job as long as he wants it.

If Tortorella wakes up the team and gets them into the post-season, Sather's tail is covered.

For James Dolan, Chairman of the Madison Square Garden LP/Cablevision Systems (who own the team), anything else is gravy.

21Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Well, according to those who know in New York (like Steve Zipay at Newsday) the owners of the Rangers consider Slats has the job as long as he wants it.

If Tortorella wakes up the team and gets them into the post-season, Sather's tail is covered.

For James Dolan, Chairman of the Madison Square Garden LP/Cablevision Systems (who own the team), anything else is gravy.

What of the rumours of Gomez being aggressively shopped? Has anyone heard anything yet?

22Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 am

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

Nothing will change. I'm just depressed that he won't be on TSN
during the intermissions. That was one enjoyable part of hockey
that is now gone.

23Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:07 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nasty Nas wrote:Nothing will change. I'm just depressed that he won't be on TSN
during the intermissions. That was one enjoyable part of hockey
that is now gone.

Me too Diddle. I loved watching him on The Quiz in the morning. ***hole. Get back to your desk job and stop wasting your time with this loser Rangers team.

24Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:17 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Yeh! He was an awsome addition to the TSN Panel. Wont be the same without him. He was always hilarious on the Quizz haha!

25Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:18 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He was great on the panel. Truly looked like he hated it at times, but a lot of fun.

26Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:50 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

As for Tortorella's potential impact on the Rangers...it might be comparable to Keenan's. In 1992-93 the dysfunctional Blueshirts missed the playoffs as Roger Neilson and Ron Smith were canned.

The next year, under Keenan--with almost the same personnel--the Rangers won the Stanley Cup.

Too early to tell, but who knows what will happen under the lash of The Tortorinator?

Last edited by davetherave on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

27Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Geez, do ya think the New York Post's Larry Brooks loves Tortorella? Here's his morning line...

ANTI-TOM WILL PUT PEDAL TO METTLE

Larry Brooks, the New York Post Feb 24 2009 2:24 AM

The moment John Tortorella walks through the door of the Ranger locker room today to take command, that will be the end of the excuses and that will be the end of the crutches for a team whose players sure didn't seem very sorry to see Tom Renney go yesterday.

Once and for all, we'll find out whether Wade Redden actually has anything left to give or whether he is effectively finished as an NHL defenseman, contract notwithstanding.

We'll find out whether Scott Gomez and Chris Drury, substantial disappointments this year as leading men, still have it in them to be upper-echelon players or whether their successes in New Jersey and Buffalo, respectively, were simply a result of the systems in which they played and the teammates with whom they combined.

We'll find out whether Nikolai Zherdev has the ability to become an offensive force or whether he is destined to remain the disappointing tease he's been the last two months, during which time he has reverted to playing the game one-on-five.

If the final 12 games (2-7-3) of Renney's otherwise successful four-year run behind the bench represented the players' silent scream for enforcement of discipline and accountability, Tortorella will be anything but silent in going about his business. Take it from me.

Tortorella is the antithesis of Renney. One is fire, the other is ice. One is four-letter words - Again: take it from me - and the other is complex sentences. One comes off streetwise, the other comes off professorial. One believes in a hockey credo in which, "Safe is death," and the other lives by the motto, "It's not what you take, it's what you leave."

That doesn't mean one way is necessarily better than the other, though Tortorella has a 2004 Stanley Cup ring from Tampa to flash and Renney has two career playoff round victories to his credit. It's not that black and white. Indeed, it's the same pepper gray as the mustache and beard Tortorella has worn from time to time.

Because keep this in mind. The Rangers under Renney are not only one of three teams in the East (with New Jersey and Ottawa) to have qualified for the playoffs in all three seasons since the lockout, they are the only team in the East to have won at least one playoff round each of the last two years.

This weekend spelled it out. Buffalo on Saturday and Toronto on Sunday were a combined SOS that Glen Sather could not ignore. The Rangers seemed psychologically spent, overwhelmed by tension. They appeared robotic on and off the ice, devoid of emotion, stripped of their confidence, beaten every which way.

As each day passed and as each loss mounted, Renney retreated further and further into himself, digging in on the principles that had made him a success in his first three full seasons behind the bench. He was loyal to his players, who this time turned out to be less than loyal to him.

Renney's great strength was not merely his loyalty to his players, it was the ability to coach distinct, unique and strong personalities Jaromir Jagr, Sean Avery and Brendan Shanahan. But when they left the building and were replaced by low-key homogenous people, Renney's strength was no longer a match for his personnel. This team couldn't run itself.

Now we'll learn whether the team's personnel is a match for Tortorella. Will this move behind the bench be enough to rouse the Rangers? Maybe and maybe not.

But it won't be boring. And it won't be quiet.

The players wanted a change. They got one. Oh, did they get one.

28Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:37 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:Geez, do ya think the New York Post's Larry Brooks loves Tortorella? Here's his morning line...

Do ya think Tortorella commands respect? Brooks happens to be the guy Fonzie absolutely destroyed in his infamous "get the Diddle out of here" line. And he ends up with Brooks' admiration.

The Name Dropper on the other hand had nothing but backhanded compliments for Tortorella this morning.

29Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:39 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

this throws the Avery to Rangers rumours completely out the window now. Torts has got zero time for Sean.

30Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:44 am

Number Twenty Nine wrote:this throws the Avery to Rangers rumours completely out the window now. Torts has got zero time for Sean.

At first glance you'd think, but I heard a comment from Slats on the radio this morning saying that Torts is going to "love Avery". Sounds like it's already a done deal basically. Tortorella will have no choice but to at least try to coach the guy if Sather brings him in. Not the greatest way to start a multi-year contract, disagreeing on personnel moves with your boss.

31Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:17 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I will be quite eager to read the posts of Ranger bloggers and the news as Torts comes in and raises Dung.

Love it, wish he was coming here to do it

32Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 am

beedub wrote:I will be quite eager to read the posts of Ranger bloggers and the news as Torts comes in and raises Dung.

Love it, wish he was coming here to do it

Crying

Me too, but I do like what I've seen from Clouston for the most part, despite my initial reation to the hiring.

33Torts: Made In Manhattan - Page 2 Empty Re: Torts: Made In Manhattan Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:45 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

by bringing in Torts NOW, do the Blueshirts stand a chance to do some damage this season/post-season?

I know Torts will certainly bang some heads and such, but I don't know what impact or the overall impact he can achieve for this season?

I'd love to see him Bench Redden! LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum