GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trade or Keep?

+4
beedub
davetherave
The Silfer Server
bravenash55
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Trade or Keep? Empty Trade or Keep? Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:48 pm

bravenash55

Prospect
Prospect

What do you ppl think. Trade Jason Spezza? and if so who does he go to?? i want to no yalls opinion. And Trade Vincent Lecavalier or keep him?? and if you think so then who does he go to?? And who do you think the hurricanes need to trade to get a consitant team? I think they need a more dependable goalie besides cam ward. he is good but not good enuff..so let me get yalls opinion. on all this i just listed.

2Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Spezza stays, Lecavalier is traded to montreal, and the Canes need to sign Gaborik at the league max, or trade for pronger.

3Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 pm

bravenash55

Prospect
Prospect

OK thanks for your thoughts. but i would love to see the canes sign gaborik. but i dont think they would trade for pronger.. but the only defense men that i think the canes should keep are Joni Pitkanen and joe corvo. but niklas wallin, frank kaberle, dennis seidenberg, and anton babchuk need to go...and keep tim gleason. none of the other defense men are doing anything..we need someone better insted of them

4Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:40 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I think the hurricanes need a solid veteran stay at home defenceman. Someone who can lead from the backend, keep things tight. They have solid leadership up front, but they don't have that for the defence. Someone like Jay McKee would be a good pickup in my opinion. He'll help their PK, and even help Cam Ward out. Although he is someone you would have to trade for. In the summer, a dman like Nick Boynton will be an UFA, or maybe Derek Morris.

And I would say instead of bringing a guy like Gaborik in for 8+ million, a guy who is extremely injury prone, maybe toughening up the team a bit, and bring in a guy for half the price, like a Todd Bertuzzi. He'll create room for Staal, and would alleviate the pressure of being a 'big' man on the team. Then maybe with the leftover money bring in a guy like Alex Tanguay, or bring back Eric Cole.

At least that's my take on the situation.

5Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:17 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

bravenash55 wrote:What do you ppl think. Trade Jason Spezza? and if so who does he go to?? i want to no yalls opinion. And Trade Vincent Lecavalier or keep him?? and if you think so then who does he go to?? And who do you think the hurricanes need to trade to get a consitant team? I think they need a more dependable goalie besides cam ward. he is good but not good enuff..so let me get yalls opinion. on all this i just listed.

Hey BraveNash, what's up in the Carolinas? Beautiful country and great folks down there. Where you at?

IMHO Jason Spezza's contract is too expensive for most NHL teams. Bryan Murray also probably wants more in return that most teams would be willing to offer.

Vinnie Lecavalier, IF he is made available to trade, will require a package that sets Tampa up for the next ten years. Very few teams have those kind of assets, which are a combination of established players and prospects.

Carolina will be a better team as Ron Francis moves into the coaching role. Jim Rutherford is a very capable GM who has worked well within his budget. It is, however, difficult to attract quality UFAs to play in Raleigh.

I don't agree with you re: Cam Ward. He's just 24 and has already won a Stanley Cup, and continues to come up with big games behind a defense which is less than stellar.

Eric Staal is an exceptional player. You have solid defensemen in Tim Gleason and Dennis Seidenberg. Brandon Sutter is going to be a star.

Be patient with your 'Canes, and keep cheering them on.

6Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 am

bravenash55

Prospect
Prospect

Hey Bass Destruction. umm im just replying back to what you said. yah i agree with we need leadership in the backend. but i think Jovnaoski,Rafalski ,Boynton,or Pronger could provide that for the canes. but Rafalski or Pronger Would cost us alot probably either lot of salary cap or have to give up like 2 players and a draft pick or 3 players and a draft pick. And i really dont think we could give up that much for 1 player. so i think boynton could be a good accet over the off-season or even at the trading deadline this season.maybe trade Kaberle or Wallin and a draft pick or a AHL player for Boynton becz we could use a D-men like him before the season is over so maybe we might have a chance to make the playoffs, or atleast come closer than it looks like we are gonna. becz of our PK and PP. And i also do agree insted of bringing in Gaborik we could get Todd Bertuzzi which is a good player and could relieve some of staals presure but to relieve his presure even more bring in someone like Alex Tanguay. but i dont think we should bring back cole. But thanks for your Opinion :D

7Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:03 am

bravenash55

Prospect
Prospect

Hey Dave im just replying to what you said. Umm i agree soo much with what you said about Jason Spezza, and Vincent Lecavalier. But heres where i get stumped. Cam Ward is an ok he isnt that great we need better if we want to make it far in the Playoffs or win another cup. But Our Defense Is Pretty Good Since We have aqquired Joni Pitkanen and Joe Corvo but corvo is good offenseivly and pitkanen is good both. But our D-fence has been so much better since we got Paul Maurice. Averging 25 or 26 shots against a game compared to when we had laveiolette averging 31 or 33. so thats so much better cam ward isnt having to face that many shots a game. And almost every game after he has faced like 7 shots he has already let a goal in,Thats not good for a pro. i no he is only 24 and he has won a cup but thats becz he kinda got lucky i no he did do pretty amazing for a rookie but he barely played any games that season. So we need a new Goalie weather it be a new starting goalie or backup goalie becz we cant depend on ward all the time and we sure cant depend on leighton. So im also saying we need Seidenberg,Wallin,Kaberle,and maybe Babchuk gone, Seidenberg is a ok d-men and same with Babchuck but we need better than them 2 and kaberle and wallin just compleatly SUCK!!!! waste of salary. So we need to Do somthing with some of our Defensemen and our Goaltending and Qick!!!! But i dont think Ron Francis is ready for the job yet so i dont think that will work out.. Look at Wayne Gretzsky he isnt doing so great with phoenix. And he was the best player in the NHL. And Ron Francis Even said he isnt ready for the job and he wasnt ready for the asst. Head Coach either. so basically thats saying he either doesnt wanna be head coach right now or he dont think its a good idea right now. And i dont think its a good idea either i think Keep Maurice for the rest of this season and see how he does. and keep him for part of next season and see how he does and if he doenst do so great the fire him. maybe even hire Michelle Terrian if he is avaible or Dennis Savard or maybe even John Tortrealla.but that all just depeneds on how that goes..And im a young hockey fan but i love hockey not just the canes i love the sport. i love watching hockey and playing it. But teams i hate Buffalo,Blues,Nashville and Isanders. and i am a young fan but im not that young. and ive been playing hockey for 5 years and watching it for 7 years so i no what im talking about.

8Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hey BraveNash, thanks for that reply.

That's great you are playing hockey...what position do you play? Who's your favourite NHL player(s)?

As far as the Hurricanes go, building a winning team takes time. The Canes probably surprised everybody when they won the Cup, and they haven't had it easy since then.

Again, it's not an ideal market for a GM, and not a place that excites UFAs. So Rutherford has a tough job. IMHO Ron Francis is just making sure he is ready, as he should.

Seeing as you know your hockey, why don't you have a look at nhlnumbers.com, and come up with your ideas for which free agents the Canes should look at getting this summer?
http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR&season=0809

There's also hockeysfuture.com which gives you the details on Hurricanes prospects as well as the best junior players.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/carolina_hurricanes

Faceoff.com gives you all the details on all the teams, including depth charts, which are great for evaluating players you are interested in. Here's the Canes' page:
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/teamhome.cgi?Car

Good to you have you with us.
8)

9Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:11 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

hey Dave, that's an excellent post.

I think it's exactly as it should be, hockey fans of all ages coming to a common site to discuss their passion...hockey. Like an opinion, dislike an opinion, that's you're right as a fan.

Nash, welcome dude. It's good to have a fan of the Hurricanes with us. If we were all Senator fans, that could get a little boring, I would tend to think.

How I would love to see any of the Staal brothers in a Sens uni....sigh, never going to happen

10Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is fantastic! The Canes are a team that needs tweaking and Rutherford is the guy to do it. Forget about Cole or anyone like that coming back, what Dave and Bass have said is bang on. You need identity on the backend and you need someone other than Staal up front. If Whitney can stay healthy, great, but he can't, so move on.

There are some really nice UFAs coming up. I would try to grab someone from that crop to be honest.

I would then move Pitkanen and try to acquire a killer D-man. People have suggested Pronger, but that depends on whether you're willing to part with some very good parts of your team. Pronger would be perfect though, him and Corvo would be an interesting tandem.

The goalie you need to overpay to get is Backstrom. Throw 6 million for 3 years at him and win him, then move Cam Ward for a forward.

This is an outsider looking in, but I think it's what you need to look at. Cam Ward is not good enough - you can do better.

11Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Welcome aboard Bravenash!

12Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:56 pm

I would wait until the end of the season and see if Spezza has made any improvements with the new coaching. If we move him, you move him at the draft.

Lecavalier will be gone by July 1st. Montreal may not be the landing spot, but I think he'll be moving on.

13Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm

bravenash55

Prospect
Prospect

Hey Dave this is another Responce to what you said. Ya, i play RW.. MY FAVORITE players are Alexander Ovechkin,Tuomo Ruutu,Roberto Luongo,Joni Pitkanen,Mike Ribeiro,Shane Doan,Ryan Getzlaf,Zdeno Chara and theres more but i dont feel like naming anymore. But i love the sport hockey so i dont just like the canes they are my favorite team but i like more teams also. But yah thank you soo much for telling me those sites, i have always wondered where i could share my thoughts on this kind of stuff so i think you sooooo verryyy much!!!! and my friend told me this site and im so glad he did. but thanks for all your responces, its been a pleasure to talk to you. Wink

14Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:30 pm

bravenash55

Prospect
Prospect

Hey 504Heater this is a responce to what you said. Um i just dont agree with moving pitkanen but that is your opinion and i respect that. but on the other hand he is one of my favorite players so ya. But anyway that we be great if we could get Pronger. And for him to be teamed on the same D-Line as Corvo. Corvo is a great player since i am a canes Full-Season ticket holder i went to the game tonight Vs.Tampa bay and seeing corvo get 2 goals was awesome. But i really agree with you a lot when you say Cam Ward isnt the goalie we need, cuz we need better like you said. And to Get Backstrom Would be awesome he is a great goalie and i would love to see him in carolina, including hes one of my favorite goalies in the NHL so i would love to see him come to the canes, and on NHL Network the other day they were talking about backstrom getting traded. so yeah i hope we will get backstrom we really could use him. and Yes Cam ward could be traded for a decent Forward to help staal or either maybe even a good D-man.. THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONCE!!

15Trade or Keep? Empty Re: Trade or Keep? Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:20 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

beedub wrote:hey Dave, that's an excellent post.

I think it's exactly as it should be, hockey fans of all ages coming to a common site to discuss their passion...hockey. Like an opinion, dislike an opinion, that's you're right as a fan.

Nash, welcome dude. It's good to have a fan of the Hurricanes with us. If we were all Senator fans, that could get a little boring, I would tend to think.

How I would love to see any of the Staal brothers in a Sens uni....sigh, never going to happen

Sadly, we had a chance at one, and took Lee instead.
Ugh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum