GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalev given time off...

+10
Vandelay
Cronie
wprager
LeCaptain
shabbs
davetherave
Flo The Action
Jordo
asq2
COLLAR UP
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 pm

davetherave wrote:There's apparently more to this whole story.

It seems the issues in Montreal may have something to do with the 'off ice activities' of several of Montreal's younger stars.

Corus Sports/CKAC's Jean Perron recently called out Carey Price, Chris Higgins and Sergei Kostitsyn as being the culprits. It was reported these young men were enjoying the pleasures of Montreal's night life to the detriment of their performance as hockey players.

I must say I thought, watching the Habs play at times, that more than a few were nursing a hangover.

Jacques Demers goes into detail in his CKAC podcast. Demers says the young men in question have already been given a reprimand by Habs management.

The article and broadcast of Demers' interview are in French.

Text here:
http://www.corussports.com/canadiens/_party_est_fini-20090217-1420593.html
Listen here:
http://www.corussports.com/radio/audioplayer.php?file=1420593.mp3&mode=cn&id=1420593&date=20090217

The gist of all this is that a rift supposedly exists between several factions of the team for various reasons having to do with committment.

Perron and Demers, both ex-Montreal coaches, are no strangers to players' shenanigans. Pat Burns, another ex-Habs coach, was quite explicit in his radio interview today on CKAC that he went to fetch his guys more than once from bars on Crescent Street.

Whether Kovalev, apparently a fitness fanatic, figures in all of this, is not clear. Or maybe he's just another dysfunctional component of the Habs' inconsistent '08-09 campaign. Gainey had to have a very serious talk with Alex at the end of the 2006-07 season because Kovalev had just put in a terrible year with Les Canadiens. After reviving his game last year, AK27 seems to be firing blanks now.

What the above demonstrate--as we have seen in several cases this year--that a coach needs to be a psychologist as well as a hockey man.

I would be doing the exact same thing. People can say what they want, but unless you have had millions of dollars coming at them when they were 20, 21, 22 years old in Montreal, with no one but your team mates, what can you say.

17Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:36 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Gainey's got to have something up his sleeve. It sounds like Kovalev is no longer welcome around the team, much like Avery earlier this year. But Lang's out for the year (most likely) and Latendresse is out as well, and Sergei Kostitsyn was sento the AHL. They need offence and they need it bad.

I believe it was Eastwood (on Team 1200) who said that Pittsburgh could be the most logical destination, but who can they offer in return? Is it a three-way deal involving LeCavalier? (yeah, that never goes away) The Habs also need a PP QB. How about Redden for Kovalev?

maybe just maybe kovalev could help the rangers but nobody in their right mind would want to touch that gastly 6 year 6.5 million $ redden contract...
Only five years and a bit left now Wink I know it's not going to happen. They already have Redden. They call home Patrice and pay him less and over a much shorter term.

18Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:15 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Watching 100% now. Gainey saying, With the way Kovalev is playing, the team dont need him... 🇳🇴

19Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:The Habs also need a PP QB. How about Redden for Kovalev?
I suspect they're hoping Schneider will fill the PP QB slot.

20Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:03 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:

True ... until he breaks a hip.

21Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:05 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

HA! We need to start a poll...

6 games?

22Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:22 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It seems the issues in Montreal may have something to do with the 'off ice activities' of several of Montreal's younger stars.

Corus Sports/CKAC's Jean Perron recently called out Carey Price, Chris Higgins and Sergei Kostitsyn as being the culprits. It was reported these young men were enjoying the pleasures of Montreal's night life to the detriment of their performance as hockey players.

I must say I thought, watching the Habs play at times, that more than a few were nursing a hangover.

Jacques Demers goes into detail in his CKAC podcast. Demers says the young men in question have already been given a reprimand by Habs management.

Text here:
Listen here:
http://www.corussports.com/radio/audioplayer.php?file=1420593.mp3&mode=cn&id=1420593&date=20090217

The gist of all this is that a rift supposedly exists between several factions of the team for various reasons having to do with committment.

Perron and Demers, both ex-Montreal coaches, are no strangers to players' shenanigans. Pat Burns, another ex-Habs coach, was quite explicit in his radio interview today on CKAC that he went to fetch his guys more than once from bars on Crescent Street.

Whether Kovalev, apparently a fitness fanatic, figures in all of this, is not clear. Or maybe he's just another dysfunctional component of the Habs' inconsistent '08-09 campaign. Gainey had to have a very serious talk with Alex at the end of the 2006-07 season because Kovalev had just put in a terrible year with Les Canadiens. After reviving his game last year, AK27 seems to be firing blanks now.

What the above demonstrate--as we have seen in several cases this year--that a coach needs to be a psychologist as well as a hockey man.

now, where have we heard this business of a rift within the locker room before!? Oh, I know this... LOL

But seriously, from the sounds of it and having read the transcript(s) and such, there seems to be some legs and quite a bit of truth and damning evidence to this, and if so, then these 'boys' have no one to blame but themselves.
For Gainey and Carbo and staff, maybe they'll be able to turn it around in time, although their window to fix it is narrowing considerably with every L they accumulate. Should be a VERY interesting off season in La Belle Province...

23Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:23 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

HA! We need to start a poll...

6 games?

Put me down for 4! Schneider's nagging knees and back issues will be targetted and he'll be rammed hard into the boards and taken off the ice by the trainors not to be seen again for about 3-4 weeks.

24Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cronenbergfan wrote:

Text here:
Listen here:

now, where have we heard this business of a rift within the locker room before!? Oh, I know this... LOL

But seriously, from the sounds of it and having read the transcript(s) and such, there seems to be some legs and quite a bit of truth and damning evidence to this, and if so, then these 'boys' have no one to blame but themselves.
For Gainey and Carbo and staff, maybe they'll be able to turn it around in time, although their window to fix it is narrowing considerably with every L they accumulate. Should be a VERY interesting off season in La Belle Province...
Not to write this off as a non-issue but I'd be willing to bet a "rift" exists in every locker room in the league.  You can't tell me that with that many guys in one locker room, with that much adrenalin flowing that there aren't rifts.  The question is, how big of a rift does it have to be before it becomes an issue.  I wondered and still wonder if the locker room issues the sens had really were a big deal or if it was all media hype.  I guess we'll never know.

25Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mel and I couldn't believe our ears when we heard this last night. Couldn't believe it.

Good for you Gainey - although...not positive you're gonna get full value for Kovalev now. But still....good for you. He obviously said something or did something and that was all the excuse Gainey was looking for.

I hate the Habs, but I love this move. Love it.

26Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:57 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oh yeah, Hat tip to Gainey on taking this drastic, and quite possibly, necessary action. Can't help but wonder what if Hull had done this with Avery for his antics? BEFORE he uttered that unforgetable phrase...

Let's see if it makes ANY difference, and for Habs fans, I hope it does, and as a Sens fan, I'm hoping it doesn't and they sink like Chief Diamond Phillips career!!

27Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't worry Cronie, their problems run way deeper than one guy.

28Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you're right... Could it be the Habs themselves couldn't handle all the pressure of their Centennial year?!
Did the Media raise the bar TOO high!?

29Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:I think you're right... Could it be the Habs themselves couldn't handle all the pressure of their Centennial year?!
Did the Media raise the bar TOO high!?

Were they never as good as they thought to begin with? The answer is yes to all.

30Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:48 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Wonder if a deal to Pittsburgh could be reached? We know that the 'Burgh will give up a lot for a UFA winger to play with Malkin/Crosby, perhaps Kovy would flourish playing with Malkin? Don't know who they could get in return though.

31Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 pm

Montreal is not going to give their best player to a team that is trying to catch them for a playoff spot, not gonna happen.

32Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

any chance other GM's decide to shun Gainey and let his team tank for their overhyped Centennial?
Montreal is one of the more hated teams... Just a thought! LOL

33Kovalev given time off... - Page 2 Empty Re: Kovalev given time off... Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Wonder if a deal to Pittsburgh could be reached? We know that the 'Burgh will give up a lot for a UFA winger to play with Malkin/Crosby, perhaps Kovy would flourish playing with Malkin? Don't know who they could get in return though.

That was the first thing I thought of, but they'll both be fighting for 8th, so it could come back to bite them.

The Pens will sign him in the off-season though, I'd almost guarantee it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum