GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Avatars! What are you sportin' and why?

+14
Riprock
asq2
wprager
TheAvatar
caissie_1
davetherave
Hockeyhero22000
The Silfer Server
Snuh
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
LeCaptain
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
marakh wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
marakh wrote:MIne is the Boss, a character in Metal Gear Solid 3 (video game). Only game that I know that has such a deep story and so touching characters. Sad that only video games that go on TV are Guitar hero and Wiifit...or GTA to convince parents that video games are damaging kids' minds Suspect

Don't know if you've played MGS4, but that game is absolutely stellar. Sadly it was my first Metal Gear Solid experience, and my friend had to explain a lot of the back story to me. The game in all took me about 40 hours to beat, so needless to say, extremely deep. It's really good.

Yeah Ive done them all (even the old ones on MSX, the psp versions...).
MGS 3 is definitely the best IMO in terms of character depth and story (during the cold war). ANd that russian James Bond vibe was definitely epic.
MGS4 is definitely top notch in terms of production value, gameplay etc. But MGS3 is the only video game ever made that made me cry... The ending is too sad. Crying
I definitely recommend you to check out the Trio collection (MGS1,2,3) that 504Heater is talking about. In terms of gameplay and graphism it will probably feel pretty old, but the story is gonna make you scratch your head :pirat:

EDIT: Heres a good appetizer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JcajevKJEI&feature=PlayList&p=AB5D50F8402748FA&index=0&playnext=1

I'll definitely check out those videos, thanks... Unfortunately I bought the PS3 that's not backwards compatible with the PS2, and when I got the PS3, I gave my old PS2 to charity. Figured some kid would use it more than me. Hopefully they'll release it on the PSN or something, and i'll be able to play it on there. Time will tell.

You can play the 1st one though. PS3 plays Ps1 games. MGS1 is my second favourite, and probably the best of the series in terms of boss characters and audio conversations.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mine's Hugh Dillon. Pic taken from the movie "Hard Core Logo". He's also the lead singer of my all-time favourite band The Headstones (now defunct).

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Mine's Hugh Dillon. Pic taken from the movie "Hard Core Logo". He's also the lead singer of my all-time favourite band The Headstones (now defunct).

You can now see Hugh on the CBS/CTV show Flashpoint, a Canadian made show which has been picked up by the americans. I like it very much. He also sang a song for the show during the first season called "Lost at Sea". You can hear it here:

http://www.ctv.ca/mar/static/programming/hughdillon.html

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Mine's Hugh Dillon. Pic taken from the movie "Hard Core Logo". He's also the lead singer of my all-time favourite band The Headstones (now defunct).

I set a dozen 12 step traps they slipped by every one.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bass Destruction wrote:

You can now see Hugh on the CBS/CTV show Flashpoint, a Canadian made show which has been picked up by the americans. I like it very much. He also sang a song for the show during the first season called "Lost at Sea". You can hear it here:

http://www.ctv.ca/mar/static/programming/hughdillon.html
Yeah, watched the first season, not bad, but it ain't the same Hugh that I remember from his Headstone days. Heh heh.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Great band, I simply call them "The Stones" because they were more relevant than the other Stones in the nineties as far as I'm concerned. My buddy has the Headstones logo ring.

The did a show in Lancaster, Ontario near the end of their run. Very nice.

37Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:17 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Funny thing Shabbs is that I used that same avatar over at HB lol. The Headstones and more importantly Hugh Dillon has become in the last few years one of my favourite bands and I support all his works, from the Stones to Durham County to Flashpoint and all the points between. Kind of funny that only up until a few years ago he had only really a cult following but now thanks to the mainstream media work he is becoming a household name.

My biggest regret is never seeing the Headstones perform live.

38Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:22 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tukker wrote:also, we should do a topic about handles :D

Sure. Not a bad idea. No one is obliged to say what theirs means if they don't want, so it's all fun. I'll do that.

39Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:23 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
Yeah Ive done them all (even the old ones on MSX, the psp versions...).
MGS 3 is definitely the best IMO in terms of character depth and story (during the cold war). ANd that russian James Bond vibe was definitely epic.
MGS4 is definitely top notch in terms of production value, gameplay etc. But MGS3 is the only video game ever made that made me cry... The ending is too sad. Crying
I definitely recommend you to check out the Trio collection (MGS1,2,3) that 504Heater is talking about. In terms of gameplay and graphism it will probably feel pretty old, but the story is gonna make you scratch your head :pirat:

Okay, I'm going in starting Sunday. I hope...it doesn't kill all of my spare time or Melanie will shove it up my Donkey. tongue

40Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Great band, I simply call them "The Stones" because they were more relevant than the other Stones in the nineties as far as I'm concerned. My buddy has the Headstones logo ring.

The did a show in Lancaster, Ontario near the end of their run. Very nice.

An old friend of mine was writing a biography on them, so we were around them quite a bit. I doubt she ever got the biography published to be honest, but they were okay guys.

41Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Funny thing Shabbs is that I used that same avatar over at HB lol. The Headstones and more importantly Hugh Dillon has become in the last few years one of my favourite bands and I support all his works, from the Stones to Durham County to Flashpoint and all the points between. Kind of funny that only up until a few years ago he had only really a cult following but now thanks to the mainstream media work he is becoming a household name.

I'll swap you that memory for something you have that's cool. :D We were front row, and though the show was okay, I wasn't a fan of the band to be frank. I couldn't have given less of a Dung when they were all sitting around talking about the tour etc. I had to fake interest while thinking about other things. :drunken:

42Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:35 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I guess you have to eb a fan to appreciate a band. Had I seen the Tea PArty live prior to becoming a fan I likely wouldn't have enjoyed it either.

43Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:42 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DashRiprock wrote:I guess you have to eb a fan to appreciate a band. Had I seen the Tea PArty live prior to becoming a fan I likely wouldn't have enjoyed it either.

I wasn't a big fan of 13 Engines until saw them live, quite by accident. They were a minor success back in the day. Anyway, they filled in for Svengali who didn't show up for a club show. There's a lot of nice CanCon out there that slipped through the cracks.

I still say Barstool Prophets are a lot better than CHEZ 106 favourites, The Hip, for example.

44Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DashRiprock wrote:Funny thing Shabbs is that I used that same avatar over at HB lol. The Headstones and more importantly Hugh Dillon has become in the last few years one of my favourite bands and I support all his works, from the Stones to Durham County to Flashpoint and all the points between. Kind of funny that only up until a few years ago he had only really a cult following but now thanks to the mainstream media work he is becoming a household name.

Yeah - I remember that Avatar now. I've seen them tons of time live and they certainly were unique - especially with all the spitting and what not. Love their music and miss them dearly. Best experience was seeing them at Oliver's Pub (Carleton U) and it was a tight fight with a small crowd. Madness ensued and a good time was had by all.

45Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:I still say Barstool Prophets are a lot better than CHEZ 106 favourites, The Hip, for example.
Love the Barstool Prophets. Their album "Crank" gets regular play 'round here. Never saw them live, but did see Graham Greer's follow-up band play, I think they were touring with The Watchmen on their "final" tour.

46Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:07 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

For me at least I cannot be forced into liking something, it just has to happen.

I'll agree with you that the best music is probably the music you never really hear about.

If anyone was ever a fan of the now defunct Canadian bands The Tea Party, I Mother Earth, you can now catch ex-TTP drummer Jeff Burrows, former IME frontman Edwin, ex-OLP guitarist Mike Turner and ex-Zygote bassist Amir Epstein in their new project, Crash Karma.

47Avatars!  What are you sportin' and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatars! What are you sportin' and why? Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:20 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DashRiprock wrote:For me at least I cannot be forced into liking something, it just has to happen.

I'll agree with you that the best music is probably the music you never really hear about.

If anyone was ever a fan of the now defunct Canadian bands The Tea Party, I Mother Earth, you can now catch ex-TTP drummer Jeff Burrows, former IME frontman Edwin, ex-OLP guitarist Mike Turner and ex-Zygote bassist Amir Epstein in their new project, Crash Karma.
I will certainly check that project out - I'm a fan of all those bands you mentioned. I did get to see IME live (with Edwin) in Porter Hall at Carleton U.

A little-know band at the time called "Stabbing Westward" opened for them and I became a fan of theirs instantly.

I agree, often it's the lesser known and lesser played bands that really get your love, the ones you discover by accident or by referral from friends.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

well obviously, you can just see mine as the Sens logo, pretty easy reason why it is that too, huge fan since they came back in the league. have been looking to branch out, but just haven't found anything that has peaked my interest....yet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum