GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vanek to miss 5 weeks

+6
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
PTFlea
PKC
SensGirl11
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:14 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

So with the Sabres in a playoff spot and fighting their way up the standings, is it fair for Vanek to be taking 5 weeks off for a lacerated/broken jaw? There have been many similar injuries to many players in the league, I can't remember the last time a player has missed that much time for a broken/lacerated jaw. This is why cages exist, no? Is it necessary for him to miss that long? He is the top scoring player on the team, some would argue, their most valuable player going into the end stretch of the season and the playoffs.

What do you all think of him missing this time? Is it necessary? What kind of a leader hangs their team out to dry like this?

2Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:19 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:So with the Sabres in a playoff spot and fighting their way up the standings, is it fair for Vanek to be taking 5 weeks off for a lacerated/broken jaw? There have been many similar injuries to many players in the league, I can't remember the last time a player has missed that much time for a broken/lacerated jaw. This is why cages exist, no? Is it necessary for him to miss that long? He is the top scoring player on the team, some would argue, their most valuable player going into the end stretch of the season and the playoffs.

What do you all think of him missing this time? Is it necessary? What kind of a leader hangs their team out to dry like this?

He could have suffered damage to the nerve bundles directly behind his jaw bone, in which case he could experience temporary cases of vertigo, dizziness, headaches, nausea, as well as possible concussion symptoms.

I wouldn't throw this guy under the bus just like that without very much knowledge on what exactly is wrong with him.

3Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Vanek to miss 5 weeks 474-Sabres_Senators_Hockey.standalone.prod_affiliate.50

4Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

See the flap of cheek on his right side of his face? That's what the problem is apparently. The flap needs to be stapled into place, while his jaw is also set and his teeth moved back into their normal place - someone was saying via temp. braces.

If the teeth don't set into the jaw, then they'll extract some of them and then set the jaw again.

Still...nothing a good 5 days after the surgery and a cage couldn't fix. I bet he's back a lot sooner personally.

5Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

If the Sabres are going to keep this up and make the playoffs, they will need him. It's tough to lose arguably your best player in the middle of the race and keep it up!

6Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not unheard of though. Sorry to remind you all but the Sens lost Spezza, then Fisher then Vermette in 06/07 and all it did was make the team better.

- Unknown Author

7Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:23 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

You all make good points. Fair enough. If it is bad enough to be making him dizzy etc, then that would be a fair reason to miss. Kind of like Concussion-like symptoms from what PKC is saying. IF that's the case, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Thanks for the nasty picture too Heater. Smile

8Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:01 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:So with the Sabres in a playoff spot and fighting their way up the standings, is it fair for Vanek to be taking 5 weeks off for a lacerated/broken jaw? There have been many similar injuries to many players in the league, I can't remember the last time a player has missed that much time for a broken/lacerated jaw. This is why cages exist, no? Is it necessary for him to miss that long? He is the top scoring player on the team, some would argue, their most valuable player going into the end stretch of the season and the playoffs.

You're blaming the wrong guy here. Vanek doesn't self-diagnose -- the team doctors diagnose him and give the time-line. He can say he wants to play until his coach's ears bleed -- it won't change a thing if the docs say he shouldn't be playing. It's a union thing, for starters, I would imagine.

9Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 pm

The guy loses 1/2 of his face, sacraficing his body for a mid season, regular season game, on the 2nd 1/2 of a back to back... and people question whether its fair or not to miss games?

You have to be kidding. How can someone defend certain players on our team who put nothing into the game, then say Vanek should not miss that much time. Not tough to tell who never played anything but monopoly.

10Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:The guy loses 1/2 of his face, sacraficing his body for a mid season, regular season game, on the 2nd 1/2 of a back to back... and people question whether its fair or not to miss games?

You have to be kidding. How can someone defend certain players on our team who put nothing into the game, then say Vanek should not miss that much time. Not tough to tell who never played anything but monopoly.

Not needed.

I think Vanek will make his own mind up and only miss 5-7 games personally, but then...I don't care.

11Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:33 pm

That was needed because that comment about Vanek was absolutly disgusting to me.

12Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Always hate to see a great player go down for an extended period of time. Even more so when they are by all accounts a great person.

13Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:That was needed because that comment about Vanek was absolutly disgusting to me.

Pfft, give me a break. I give him 12 days before he says: "Get me the cage. I'm going back out there."

It's a bad gash in the jaw. The swelling might cost him a little extra time, but it won't be any 5 weeks.

14Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Doesnt matter who gets smoked in the face with a puck, I dont think people realize just how much it hurts and the damage it can do.

Is it fair to take 5 weeks off like its some sort of vacation... disgusting comment.

15Vanek to miss 5 weeks Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:22 pm

504Heater wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:That was needed because that comment about Vanek was absolutly disgusting to me.

Pfft, give me a break. I give him 12 days before he says: "Get me the cage. I'm going back out there."

It's a bad gash in the jaw. The swelling might cost him a little extra time, but it won't be any 5 weeks.

Thats fine, but to actually question the 5 weeks and the player who took a slap shot/onetimer off the face, unreal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum