GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has the day finally arrived?!

+12
Snuh
Vandelay
Mojo
Acrobat
davetherave
Jordo
wprager
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

46Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:01 am

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

In the other thread, I told you why I'm not holding my breath about this one, but hypothetically, I don't think it's a great deal for either team:

-Staal is an assistant captain for the Hurricances and just signed to a massive deal. While that makes him less likely to be dealt by the Hurricanes, his upwards of $8 million per year salary is pretty unpalatable for the Sens

-Staal isn't exactly that much more physical than Spezza if you look at their respective hit counts. Spezza also has more take-aways.

-I'm not convinced that Staal is on the same level offensively as Spezza. Yeah, he had that one great season of 100 points, but that was on 16+% shooting, which career-wise would seem an anomaly. That was also on a Cup-winning team.

47Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:52 am

asq2 wrote:In the other thread, I told you why I'm not holding my breath about this one, but hypothetically, I don't think it's a great deal for either team:

-Staal is an assistant captain for the Hurricances and just signed to a massive deal. While that makes him less likely to be dealt by the Hurricanes, his upwards of $8 million per year salary is pretty unpalatable for the Sens

-Staal isn't exactly that much more physical than Spezza if you look at their respective hit counts. Spezza also has more take-aways.

-I'm not convinced that Staal is on the same level offensively as Spezza. Yeah, he had that one great season of 100 points, but that was on 16+% shooting, which career-wise would seem an anomaly. That was also on a Cup-winning team.

Oh lets see, leadership, accountability, not all about himself and his stats.....I could keep going. Spezza is none of these!

48Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:54 am

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

JeffJo wrote:
asq2 wrote:In the other thread, I told you why I'm not holding my breath about this one, but hypothetically, I don't think it's a great deal for either team:

Oh lets see, leadership, accountability, not all about himself and his stats.....I could keep going. Spezza is none of these!

It's difficult to say something like that unless you know him personally. Obviously there are horror stories, but it's not like Eric Staal has never been in the spot-light for the wrong reasons.

49Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:01 am

Id rather Spezza be mooning on coming cars then some of the other stuff I have actually seen and heard.

50Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:03 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Id rather Spezza be mooning on coming cars then some of the other stuff I have actually seen and heard.

Seen?

51Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:24 am

Asq, thanks for sharing that video. Way to much hate for a guy who has given his all for this team. He's not earning his paycheck, ok, how many sens are? Donovan, Kuba, Winchester, Elliott, and Auld.

52Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:32 am

JeffJo wrote:

Thats the way I see it too... Eric Staal, Imo, is massively overrated as an offensive star, but I like all that I've seen from him in terms of character.

If we're talking strictly skill, then we're getting fleeced, but if we're going by who will or won't reach their potential, then Staal is a far greater bet than Spezza.

The numbers suck, though. The Staal signing was one of the worst I've seen. On any team that can attract players with anything other than money, Staal is a $6.5M man. Spezza obviously isn't living up to his contract either, but it looked like a relative steal when he signed it.

Regardless, its just more ek-poo and there's really no need to worry about it happening. Teams don't make trades like this in the middle of the season.

53Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 am

cash wrote:
JeffJo wrote:

Thats the way I see it too... Eric Staal, Imo, is massively overrated as an offensive star, but I like all that I've seen from him in terms of character.

If we're talking strictly skill, then we're getting fleeced, but if we're going by who will or won't reach their potential, then Staal is a far greater bet than Spezza.

The numbers suck, though. The Staal signing was one of the worst I've seen. On any team that can attract players with anything other than money, Staal is a $6.5M man. Spezza obviously isn't living up to his contract either, but it looked like a relative steal when he signed it.

Regardless, its just more ek-poo and there's really no need to worry about it happening. Teams don't make trades like this in the middle of the season.

I'd say regardless of Staal's leadership ability and character, there is no way to justify an $8 million a year cap hit. He's Fisher basically, with more scoring upside, and without the country music start girlfriend.

I'll take Spezza and his cap hit every day of the week over Staal.

54Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:19 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hem, nice shot of Comrie and Duffy.

You can play Sens GM on the new thread...Uncle Gene just called and said he wants GM Hockey Members to dig him out of the snowbank.

55Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:30 am

I'd rather leave it up to Murray Wink He knows what he's doing.

56Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:11 pm

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Id rather Spezza be mooning on coming cars then some of the other stuff I have actually seen and heard.

Seen?

I didn't think you would get a response.

57Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:15 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

notch4077 wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Seen?

Actually, he did communicate with me via PM.

58Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:28 pm

asq2 wrote:
notch4077 wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Seen?

Huh! Don't I feel like a jackass? Wouldn't I like to now what was said behind bars?

59Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

notch4077 wrote:
asq2 wrote:
notch4077 wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Seen?

Huh! Don't I feel like a jackass? Wouldn't I like to now what was said behind bars?

I can PM you, if you'd like, but it wasn't something I'd post on the main board.

I think we should forget about it and move on. Smile

60Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 4 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Thats prob a good idea!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum