GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has the day finally arrived?!

+12
Snuh
Vandelay
Mojo
Acrobat
davetherave
Jordo
wprager
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:51 pm

It could, but again, it all depends on what the deal is... Im not saying you're wrong, its just relative to what the needs and wants are of Ottawa.

17Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

UPDATE!

Just received confirmation from another source stating that, and I quote: "Ottawa and LA are 100% talking deal; however cannot share details at this point."

So, one could argue that this isn't new, but I thought I'd pass it along nonetheless.

18Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:45 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cronenbergfan wrote:UPDATE!

Just received confirmation from another source stating that, and I quote: "Ottawa and LA are 100% talking deal; however cannot share details at this point."

So, one could argue that this isn't new, but I thought I'd pass it along nonetheless.

Yeah, the deal is "Please make my latest non-NHL coach look good, Terry, and I'll give you back the Boom Boom Geoffrion card I took when we were kids".

19Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LOL!!! BAAAZZZIIINNGG!!

You kill me Seaway... LOL

20Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 pm

I hope so, something HAS to be done, and soon.

21Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:26 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I hope the people screaming for Spezza's head are ready to put up with the consequences: 3-4 years of little to no scoring, and looking for that #1 centre to anchor the team.

Just saying.

22Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:28 pm

rooneypoo wrote:I hope the people screaming for Spezza's head are ready to put up with the consequences: 3-4 years of little to no scoring, and looking for that #1 centre to anchor the team.

Just saying.

Well you cant get worse than this year so.... or the 2nd 1/2 of last year.

23Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:29 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I think we can totally get worse...

24Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:36 pm

you cant be worse than the worst, lol.

This is the worst offence in the league, there is no where to go but up.

25Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:you cant be worse than the worst, lol.

This is the worst offence in the league, there is no where to go but up.

Absolutely, you can get worse. If you are 30th in a 30 league team you cannot get a lower ranking, but while ranking is usually related to how good or bad you are, it is not direct.

Just as a team that goe 82-0 can get better the next season by repeating their 82-0 record and widening the goals for/against gap.

26Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:50 pm

sigh... hardly the point I was making.

27Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yeah, the deal is "Please make my latest non-NHL coach look good, Terry, and I'll give you back the Boom Boom Geoffrion card I took when we were kids".

I literally just spit coffee on the floor.

Nice zinger.

28Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:I hope the people screaming for Spezza's head are ready to put up with the consequences: 3-4 years of little to no scoring, and looking for that #1 centre to anchor the team.

Just saying.

Consider the return on investment.

8MM/year for Jason Spezza means:
18g-21a-39p, projected 30g-35a-65p this year
34g-58a-92p 2007-08
34g-53a-87p 2006-07
19g-71a-90p 2005-06

Those last four years also represent a slide for the team from 1st to 4th to 7th to 13th in the Eastern Conference.

One: You can replace the scoring with younger and less expensive players. There are plenty of young 20-25 goal scorers who will easily put up 30-40 assists each.

Two: do you consider that Jason Spezza is an anchor?

Three: ask yourself this: it's your eight million dollars for the next five years. 40 million bucks. Are you ready to sign that cheque?

29Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

If Spezza goes, Heater stays and moves to centre, and we move Fisher to wing (Alfie on the other), it could work. And save 8M.
And get a decent player and pick.

EDIT: recall that Heatley had played centre before, he has quick hands, so would good on the face-off, and is big enough to be effective in front of the net (when he is in the mood...)

30Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:31 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Acrobat wrote:If Spezza goes, Heater stays and moves to centre, and we move Fisher to wing (Alfie on the other), it could work. And save 8M.
And get a decent player and pick.

EDIT: recall that Heatley had played centre before, he has quick hands, so would good on the face-off, and is big enough to be effective in front of the net (when he is in the mood...)

So you would move Heatley from his natural position to play centre and Fisher from his natural position to play wing? The obvious answer of having Fisher centre a line with Alfie and Heatley didn't occur to you?

31Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:04 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

All this "blowing things up" talk makes me nervous. I realize with how things stand now, something needs to be done because clearly with this group of players, its not working. That said, I really don't like the idea of shipping out either Spezz or Fish. I especially don't like this concept of simply getting rid of Fish because of his lousy contract- just plain stupid. As mentioned by somebody on here already, Fish brings a lot to this organization that we don't necessarily hear about. Even without all that extra stuff, and considering his bad year, I still would not trade the guy. This type of player is hard to come by. He's considered one of the hardest hitters in the league yet is still very well respected by everyone in the league- very few of those. Rewind back to the SCF run and watch Fisher specifically and you won't want to get rid of this guy.

We're all crying because Fisher isn't putting up points this year but don't let me hear the crying when we trade him for a prospect that has no idea what he's doing in the post season and has no one to learn from (with Spezza and Fisher gone, don't expect to see the post season while Alfie is still in a sens uni).

32Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:57 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Vandelay wrote: don't expect to see the post season while Alfie is still in a sens uni.

That may be accurate.

33Has the day finally arrived?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the day finally arrived?! Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:08 am

davetherave wrote:
Vandelay wrote: don't expect to see the post season while Alfie is still in a sens uni.

That may be accurate.

Hold the phone. We've got a coach that will hold the players accountable now!

Now, if I could get past the fact that he's got one more game coached than I do at the NHL level. This is insulting to the fans, even as a stop-gap for a new head coach. What's worse is that we are now the laughing stock of the league. Someone was saying that this move was because Melnyk was already paying two guys not to coach this team. Does this mean we aren't going to get a real NHL head coach for another two years?

Between Emery, Paddock and Hartsburg, I wonder how much money Eugene is paying people to not be part of his team. It's probably more than the Islanders are paying Yashin to go back to Russia, albeit for not as long.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum