GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

I am done with Hartsburg... he is dead to me.

+14
beedub
LethalLehner
Jordo
jamvan
Cronie
SensGirl11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
LeCaptain
b33f
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

So for me, yesterday was the last straw. I have had enough of the incompetence and that is what it is. 'Spade you are a spade'. Everything he says is hollow and resonates with no-one especially when he doesn't follow it himself. He preaches accountability, attention to detail and hard work. I don't see that in the team and I don't see that in him.

Case in point, yesterday's decision to sit Jason Smith. You can debate whether it was warranted. I will assert that it is not but as a big fan of his I excuse myself from that debate, that is not what this post is about. The fact of the matter is that he didn't know why he was being sat. That is BAD coaching, very BAD. You owe it to any player, much less a 15 year vet, to explain to him why he is being sat. This violates all three things he preaches.

1. There is no accountability, if you look down the line-up at the healthy scratch list from this year... Bell, Donovan, Picard, Schubert, Smith... not one of the underachieving forwards or defencemen. They say the only lever for a coach to pull is ice time and sitting players, well he is pulling it on the wrong guys. Maybe a high paid player needs to get a new perspective and a shot in the arm by sitting in the press box for once.

2. Attention to detail is something I hear all the time but it is exactly a coaches responsibility to sit with a player and explain why he is being sat. That is attention to detail and from Smith's comments that has not taken place. A coach needs to take time for that discussion no matter who the player is. That is coachiong 101. Not doing that is not paying attention to the details.

3. Hard work. Holy cripes. You can say anything you want about Smith but work ethic is not his problem. He gives it all for the hockey club. If you want hard work, sitting this guy in the midst of a winning streak is just plain stupid. He has been very good in the last while. Everyone complains about footspeed but he certaainly doesn't get blown by like Commie did while he was here. He competes at a high level. This is just silly.

At the end of the day, Hartsburg has never enjoyed success at the NHL level and he has coached a LOT of games. He has had success at the junior level but there is a big difference. They are like puppies, it is easy to teach them things, they are eager to learn and are highly motivated by national pride and potential career advancement to the big show. In the NHL you have to pay attention to the factors that moitivate millionaire athletes and Hartsburg just doesn't seem to have a grasp of what they are.

Head coaches need to be motivators and assistants need to have systems. Hartsburg would make a great assistant but he is not head coach material. You need charisma and you need the ability to lead the troups. Sorry Craig, you just don't have it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I agree with everything. Reading your post jarred this thought from my brain. Smith was "accountabilitied" because Donovan is injured.

I was flamed on the "internet" for posting my thoughts on Hartsburg and his dubious NHL record and lack of suitability for the pro game, despite junior success.

I'll say this. Hartsburg = Great coach, wrong hire.

The players have a LOT of blame in this. I'm still willing to say "it's just one game" and we'll see what happens against St. Louis and Columbus, in particular.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Go away Hartsburg. Take EVERYONE with you including 99.9% of the players. Diddle sewing circle of losers.

SeawaySensFan wrote:I agree with everything. Reading your post jarred this thought from my brain. Smith was "accountabilitied" because Donovan is injured.

I was flamed on the "internet" for posting my thoughts on Hartsburg and his dubious NHL record and lack of suitability for the pro game, despite junior success.

I'll say this. Hartsburg = Great coach, wrong hire.

The players have a LOT of blame in this. I'm still willing to say "it's just one game" and we'll see what happens against St. Louis and Columbus, in particular.

I was a Tortorella guy from the time the position needed to be filled. I will tell you things could have been very different this year with the right hire. Even if you don't agree with me, the press conferences would at least be friggin' entertaining....

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MurderOnIce wrote:I was a Tortorella guy from the time the position needed to be filled. I will tell you things could have been very different this year with the right hire. Even if you don't agree with me, the press conferences would at least be friggin' entertaining....

Tortorella would have fit here like a glove and put the "accountability" Dung into action.

Putting the likes of CheapShots Brennan into the fetal position in some dark corner, sobbing would have been a bonus.

SeawaySensFan wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:I was a Tortorella guy from the time the position needed to be filled. I will tell you things could have been very different this year with the right hire. Even if you don't agree with me, the press conferences would at least be friggin' entertaining....

Tortorella would have fit here like a glove and put the "accountability" Dung into action.

Putting the likes of CheapShots Brennan into the fetal position in some dark corner, sobbing would have been a bonus.

One helluva bonus!!!

God Murray now I am pissed at you. We could have watched some great you tube moments...

"Why don't you go frank yourself Brennan?" perhaps.. dare I dream... even a pushing match where lard hits concrete?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'd rather not get into this, cause there's just way too many things wrong with the team, but I've been told by people in the OHL (people who know Craig) that he was the wrong guy to hire behind the bench. The guy that everyone says should have been that guy, was Peter DeBoer. Apparently it all came down to money.

If you're going to blame anyone, I think you have to blame Murray, and do you want to do that?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If Hartsburg truly isn't the guy to do it and he is let go then you have to send Murray packing as well. Honestly, do you want this guy picking the next coach? Unless you keep Murray out of that decision, and I can't see how you can, then Murray has to go as well.

I'm not entirely convinced it's Hartsburg's fault here. How many coaches do we go through before the players shoulder most of the blame?

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm not entirely convinced it's Hartsburg's fault here. How many coaches do we go through before the players shoulder most of the blame?

With NT/NMCs, never.

If we're lucky enough to move those players, I agree, Hartsburg stays. If Murray can swing those deals, along with a great turnaround in prospect depth, redeems himself.

It's really think it'S all on the owners lap at this point.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:If Hartsburg truly isn't the guy to do it and he is let go then you have to send Murray packing as well. Honestly, do you want this guy picking the next coach? Unless you keep Murray out of that decision, and I can't see how you can, then Murray has to go as well.

I'm not entirely convinced it's Hartsburg's fault here. How many coaches do we go through before the players shoulder most of the blame?

I agree with this, but Hartsburg hasn't done much more than Paddock did. Sure he called out the teams best 3 players and sat an undeserving Smith. It isn't working, and sadly, I too am starting to think that Hartsburg needs to go the way of the Paddock.

Bring in Tortorella and let him have a few paint-melting nuclear meltdowns on this team. If they don't listen then, blow up the whole Diddle thing. This all talk no action, country club atmosphere has to stop.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:I'd rather not get into this, cause there's just way too many things wrong with the team, but I've been told by people in the OHL (people who know Craig) that he was the wrong guy to hire behind the bench. The guy that everyone says should have been that guy, was Peter DeBoer. Apparently it all came down to money.

If you're going to blame anyone, I think you have to blame Murray, and do you want to do that?

If the Deboer thing really did come down to money then don't you send the blame up a little to Melnyk on this one?

- Unknown Author

b33f

b33f
Prospect
Prospect

Just fire them all so this team is interesting again..

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

b33f wrote:Just fire them all so this team is interesting again..

I am done with Hartsburg... he is dead to me. Iraqi_information_minister

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

For all of Murray's assets and strengths, his one weakness is hiring coaches for the Ottawa Senators. After all, he did hire Mike Wang in Anaheim. But holy hell does Hartsburg frustrate me!!!

I was actually saying some good things about him during the first two periods regarding our PP, but then in the third, the guy decides to change up the defensive pairings... Why the Diddle would you mess with what's working. It's absolutely nonsensical. Picard and Kuba play well together on the point of the PP, they often play together even strength, why would you split them up, pair Kuba up with Lee, and then put them on our top PP line, a line that ONLY has right-handed shots. So now you have 4 players who shoot right with 1 who shoots left, with two defencemen who don't play with each other, and then have demote the only goal scorer and put him on a unit that only has left handed shots, while playing him with another young defenceman whom he has no chemistry with. WTF Hartsburg!!!!!!!

Change things if they don't work, don't change things if they do.

Oh and I can't stand Bell, he's a good AHL dman, but what the hell is he doing in the NHL. Great, he scored a flukey game winning goal. McAmmond has 2 of them, maybe he should play on the top line.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:If Hartsburg truly isn't the guy to do it and he is let go then you have to send Murray packing as well. Honestly, do you want this guy picking the next coach? Unless you keep Murray out of that decision, and I can't see how you can, then Murray has to go as well.

I agree with this, but Hartsburg hasn't done much more than Paddock did. Sure he called out the teams best 3 players and sat an undeserving Smith. It isn't working, and sadly, I too am starting to think that Hartsburg needs to go the way of the Paddock.

Bring in Tortorella and let him have a few paint-melting nuclear meltdowns on this team. If they don't listen then, blow up the whole Diddle thing. This all talk no action, country club atmosphere has to stop.

If Hartsburg goes, Murray goes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum