GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

IIHF World Juniors: Canada vs Sweden - 7:00pm Dec. 19th, 2008

+2
LeCaptain
shabbs
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:Well in Redden's defence, early in his career, he played with ice in his veins. Never seemed to get rattled. If that's what you mean, I'm down. Nice to see him taking shifts in all situations too. Is MSP playing? Has he been noticable?

Did you check out that website I PMed you out of curiousity?

Just saw the web-site, I'll be sure to check it out.

Yeah, Karlsson's definitely very calm on the ice (apart from when a goal is scored for Sweden).

MSP looks quite big on the ice. It's hard to notice him when Sweden had such difficulty mustering offence, but his acceleration is quite good, his hands are obviously very good and his defensive play was also impressive.

Canada was obviously the better team, though, so unless you're watching a certain player the whole night (like I was with Hedman and Karlsson) it's hard to say too much about him.

Last edited by asq2 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

It's also nice to see Sweden try to respond to Canada's physical play (despite taking penalties, as Karlsson and Torp did) and pull their goalie when down by 2 and short-handed.

I like their mentality, and think that once they get more used to the ice-surface they'll be tough to beat.

I think the Americans and the Canadians are deeper, though.

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:Well in Redden's defence, early in his career, he played with ice in his veins. Never seemed to get rattled. If that's what you mean, I'm down. Nice to see him taking shifts in all situations too. Is MSP playing? Has he been noticable?

Yeah, Karlsson's definitely very calm on the ice (apart from when a goal is scored for Sweden).

MSP looks quote big on the ice. It's hard to notice him when Sweden had such difficulty mustering offence, but his acceleration is quite good, his hands are obviously very good and his defensive play was also impressive.

Canada was obviously the better team, though, so unless you're watching a certain player the whole night (like I was with Hedman and Karlsson) it's hard to say too much about him.

MSP...another one I pine for.

Anyway, thanks for the analysis :D

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:

MSP looks quote big on the ice. It's hard to notice him when Sweden had such difficulty mustering offence, but his acceleration is quite good, his hands are obviously very good and his defensive play was also impressive.

MSP...another one I pine for.

Anyway, thanks for the analysis :D

MSP will be a good one, for sure.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Hedman and Karlsson are like 2 volchenkovs during a game. Calm like a lake, want to hit anything that moves, and focused as hell. I will trade spezza and heatley in a second to have those two on a same pairing in a Sens uniform. Since we already have Karlsson, I will keep heatley and move N19 :pirat:

marakh wrote:Hedman and Karlsson are like 2 volchenkovs during a game. Calm like a lake, want to hit anything that moves, and focused as hell. I will trade spezza and heatley in a second to have those two on a same pairing in a Sens uniform. Since we already have Karlsson, I will keep heatley and move N19 :pirat:

Like I said earlier in chat. I would trade anyone (excluding Alfie, unless he asked) off the Sens roster right now for Hedman. No joke. Oh you want Heatley? Done. In an instant. 50 goal men are rare, but a d-man with Hedman's combination of size and skill are as rare as unicorns.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Damn, I don't think I'll be in Brampton for the 23rd, likely in Ottawa Sad so no Sweden-Czech game.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

Just got home from the game (Canada Sweden) tonight. Although I missed a good chunk of it live due to comuting issues, from what I saw it looked good. Karlsson and Hedman were paired together a fair bit and when I sat down and saw them together my first thoughts were, Ottawa's future blue line... SWEET.

Karlsson also had a few nice hits including a huge open ice hit in the 3rd that was a beauty.

And, the best part of the night by far... my dad and I were having a beer and a bite in the East Side Marios post game when through the window I notice the Swedish team bus pull up. And who should walk in the door not 5 minutes later but the entire Swedish team. I didn't want to bug them all night, but just before we left we stopped to wish them luck in the tournament and I went over to talk to Karlsson and get a picture.

He was really cool about the whole experience and wanted to know if I was cheering for Sweden in the tournament. But yeah, that was definitely my high light of the night.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Wicked, nice picture. Thats a great opportunity you had right there.

I'm cheering for Sweden second to Canada of course.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

DashRiprock wrote:Wicked, nice picture. Thats a great opportunity you had right there.

I'm cheering for Sweden second to Canada of course.

Thanks. I'll also be cheering for Sweden... in any game not involving Canada of course.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

pgood wrote:Just got home from the game (Canada Sweden) tonight. Although I missed a good chunk of it live due to comuting issues, from what I saw it looked good. Karlsson and Hedman were paired together a fair bit and when I sat down and saw them together my first thoughts were, Ottawa's future blue line... SWEET.

Karlsson also had a few nice hits including a huge open ice hit in the 3rd that was a beauty.

And, the best part of the night by far... my dad and I were having a beer and a bite in the East Side Marios post game when through the window I notice the Swedish team bus pull up. And who should walk in the door not 5 minutes later but the entire Swedish team. I didn't want to bug them all night, but just before we left we stopped to wish them luck in the tournament and I went over to talk to Karlsson and get a picture.

He was really cool about the whole experience and wanted to know if I was cheering for Sweden in the tournament. But yeah, that was definitely my high light of the night.

That's awesome. I've heard good things about Karlsson off of the ice. He seems like an engaging guy.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I PVR'd the game and skimmed through it. Hedman got knocked around quite easily, twice in his first shift he was leveled like he was 5'7". For a guy his size he's going to have to work on playing that way.

Karlsson looked good. Obviously a force to be feared on the P and has quite the aggressive streak.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think with Hedman you have to keep in mind both that he's a year behind in his development than some of the players he was up against (having just turned 18 ), and that there's a big adjustment to be made in terms of the ice surface. He had suffered an injury earlier in the year so I think he may have been playing a little tentatively (it being a friendly and all), but he settled down after the first shift.

I think Karlsson was the better defender last night, though.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

DashRiprock wrote:I PVR'd the game and skimmed through it. Hedman got knocked around quite easily, twice in his first shift he was leveled like he was 5'7". For a guy his size he's going to have to work on playing that way.

Karlsson looked good. Obviously a force to be feared on the P and has quite the aggressive streak.

Karlsson and Hedman played the PK together, and in a very interesting strategic move, Hedman was also used as a forward on the PP. I guess mostly to get a huge body in front of the net, kind of like the Sens used to do with Chara, but when the Canadians broke out he would just kind of float along the Canadian blue line and wait for that breakout/breakaway pass. Which I guess goes to tell you a lot about his skill level offensively and the contributions they expect from him, when they use Hedman in that role as opposed to say a skilled forward like Moeller.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

pgood wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:I PVR'd the game and skimmed through it. Hedman got knocked around quite easily, twice in his first shift he was leveled like he was 5'7". For a guy his size he's going to have to work on playing that way.

Karlsson and Hedman played the PK together, and in a very interesting strategic move, Hedman was also used as a forward on the PP. I guess mostly to get a huge body in front of the net, kind of like the Sens used to do with Chara, but when the Canadians broke out he would just kind of float along the Canadian blue line and wait for that breakout/breakaway pass. Which I guess goes to tell you a lot about his skill level offensively and the contributions they expect from him, when they use Hedman in that role as opposed to say a skilled forward like Moeller.

I think it also tells you a lot that Karlsson didn't start the game PKing but by the end was at times on the first unit.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:
pgood wrote:

I think it also tells you a lot that Karlsson didn't start the game PKing but by the end was at times on the first unit.

Unfortunately I missed the start of the game (the entire 1st) due to commuting delays, so I did not know that Karlsson didn't start the game on the PK.

So that is interesting to note, and definitely says a lot about how he played to be upgraded from not at all, to being a first on the PK.

I definitely am looking forward to seeing this kid in a Sens uniform at some point in the future.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Canadian F Dana Tyrell suffered a "significant" knee injury during Friday's game vs. Sweden and definitely will miss the next game, possibly more.

Can't recall if Canada's got reserves on the roster, if not, what do they do now?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

They can still add to their roster, I believe. It doesn't have to be set until a little later on, I believe.

Maybe this is an opening for Hall?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum