GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

In Defence of Spezza

+10
beerandsens
LeCaptain
BigRig
Vandelay
wprager
dennycrane
PKC
asq2
COLLAR UP
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1In Defence of Spezza Empty In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:39 pm

In another thread Neely talked about getting rid of Spezza and referencing Cup winners like Sakic, Yzerman and Modano.

Now I did a little research about them all:

Steve Yzerman:
In Yzerman's first 13 Seasons he played in 1 Cup final.
He won his first cup in his 14th Season at age 32

Mike Modano:
In Modano's first 9 Seasons he played in 1 Cup final.
He won the cup in his 10th Season at age 29

Joe Sakic:
In Sakic's first 7 seasons he played in a total of 12 playoff games.
He won his first cup in his 8th Season at age 26

Jason Spezza:
In Spezza's first 5 seasons he has been to 1 Cup final.
Jason Spezza is only 25 years old.

My point is that we remember the past a little bit different than the way it actually happened. Let's give it some time, Spezza has only played in 344 NHL games including this year.

Sometimes the best deal is the one that isn't made.

2In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good analysis. Spezza is a victim right now of learning a new system while media and fans wait for him to screw up with baited breath.

3In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 pm

plus, I'd like to add that sakic was on one of the greatest teams ever.

4In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:47 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

Puke...

the thing that differentiates Spez from the others mentioned here is that they at least showed improvement over the years leading up to the glory...

Spezza has yet to show improvement...in fact he really has gotten worse...

so while there is the...he is young...give him time...look at Stevie...Mike...and Joe stuff...I am no longer in the buying line-up...he is far from them...now and then!!

5In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:47 pm

One more thing.

Which one of the following doesn't belong:

Sergei Federov
Joe Nieuwendyk
Peter Forsberg
Mike Fisher

6In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:48 pm

RobbyJ wrote:One more thing.

Sergei Federov
Joe Nieuwendyk
Peter Forsberg
Mike Fisher
Fedorov- he's hardly ever hurt :D

7In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

COLLAR UP wrote:Puke...

the thing that differentiates Spez from the others mentioned here is that they at least showed improvement over the years leading up to the glory...

so while there is the...he is young...give him time...look at Stevie...Mike...and Joe stuff...I am no longer in the buying line-up...he is far from them...now and then!!

Are you serious? There were thousands of Neely's who wanted Yzerman gone in Detroit. Heck, he almost came here for Yashin. Modano almost got traded so many times, it's really impossible to count, including a deal that would have sent Turco and him here for Spezza +. Sakic is a special hockey player, he's a 1 in a million. End of story, but it didn't hurt that when he had finally matured he could look over at Forsberg, Hejduk, Patrick Roy, Tanguay, Foote, DeVries, Blake and be reminded that he wasn't the only one with the spotlight.

8In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sergei Federov
Joe Nieuwendyk
Peter Forsberg
Mike Fisher

Yeah, exactly. Fisher's the guy that we should all be looking at. It's impossible to keep him unless he mans up and takes the wing to a real center.

9In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:54 pm

504Heater wrote:

Sergei Federov
Joe Nieuwendyk
Peter Forsberg
Mike Fisher

Yeah, exactly. Fisher's the guy that we should all be looking at. It's impossible to keep him unless he mans up and takes the wing to a real center.
I wish I knew how those contract talks went down. Were Fisher's representative's holding out for big money, or did Murray just have a brain cramp and write 4.2 instead of 3.2.

10In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

How so? His defensive game is greatly improved and the defensive issues left are greatly exaggerated.

He's dumping and chasing now instead of trying to deke at the line every time.

He no longer makes numerous blind drop passes. The only risky passes I see him make are ones where he's behind the (opposition) net and he throws it into the slot.

He takes pride in his face-offs.

His skating has improved.

As a matter of fact, it's hard to name a lot of players who have improved on the Sens as much as Spezza has since Spezza's come into the picture.

People will point to the lack of production as a sign that he's getting worse, but really it's because of the lack of puck-movement from our D and the defensive system we play that's causing that. His game has gotten smarter and better defensively, and as a result he's producing less. So did Yzerman's.

Spezza has not had either a top-flight PMD or another line that can produce with any consistency since '05-'06 and has never had another centre remotely capable of taking the scoring load off of him.

Bonk, White, Fisher, Kelly, Bass, Vermette, Comrie (briefly), McAmmond etc. have been the best we've been able to do for him. 🇳🇴

11In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:56 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

Are you serious? There were thousands of Neely's who wanted Yzerman gone in Detroit. Heck, he almost came here for Yashin. Modano almost got traded so many times, it's really impossible to count, including a deal that would have sent Turco and him here for Spezza +. Sakic is a special hockey player, he's a 1 in a million. End of story, but it didn't hurt that when he had finally matured he could look over at Forsberg, Hejduk, Patrick Roy, Tanguay, Foote, DeVries, Blake and be reminded that he wasn't the only one with the spotlight.

Don't forget Bourque. :D

12In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:
I wish I knew how those contract talks went down. Were Fisher's representative's holding out for big money, or did Murray just have a brain cramp and write 4.2 instead of 3.2.

Fisher was hot at the time. Big, hulking, mean center who can play a solid 2 way game and had just hit 20+ goals. It seemed like a key piece to keep at the time.

In retrospect, you had to choose between Spezza and Fisher. And to me that's an absolute no-brainer.

13In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm

people wanted to trade alfredsson two years ago. how quickly we forget...

14In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:people wanted to trade alfredsson two years ago. how quickly we forget...

It blows my mind that we could have had Craig Conroy for him but we didn't pull the trigger. Razz

15In Defence of Spezza Empty Re: In Defence of Spezza Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:01 pm

asq2 wrote:
Tukker wrote:people wanted to trade alfredsson two years ago. how quickly we forget...

It blows my mind that we could have had Craig Conroy for him but we didn't pull the trigger. Razz
Craig Conroy!! NO WAY!! Sad

Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum