GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens remain interested in Sundin

+4
Acrobat
mattshock
smash88
shabbs
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:59 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No surprise really... I'm sure every team is interested in Sundin if they can fit him in.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/03/7285356-sun.html

I just wish he'd sign somewhere and this whole drama could be done with. If he lands here, sweet, if not, let's move on.

2Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:00 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:No surprise really... I'm sure every team is interested in Sundin if they can fit him in.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/03/7285356-sun.html

I just wish he'd sign somewhere and this whole drama could be done with. If he lands here, sweet, if not, let's move on.

Yeah couldn't agree more... Enough already, just sign and play already... The NHL should ban this type of stuff... You shouldn't be able to join a team like that any time you want...

3Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:06 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

On one hand, we've seen this before. Foppa, Niedermayer, Selanne, and now Sundin.

On the other, it's constant media fodder and coverage for the NHL.

Should they change it? Yes.

Will they? No.

Here's my recommendation. Make the maximum possible salary you can sign someone for reduce as the season goes on.

Start on day #1 with league maximum, and league minimum at trade deadline day and go linearly from there. Not cap-hit, proportionate dollars.

If he signs halfway through this period for half of the league max (lets say $5M), he only makes $2.5M that season for the remaining games.

That would put the pressure on the big-$ players to sign earlier, but still would give mid-season additions (guys like Winchester last year or Robitaille), a chance to still be given a shot.

4Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

That puts pressure on the players to sign early, but not the GMs.

An alternative is to make the mid-season signings count as "full-year cap hits" for accounting purposes - e.g. Sundin signs for $8m after game 41, then it only costs teams $4m now, but make it cost them $8m against their cap.

This makes the GMs plan, and then once they have no space, they have no space. No elite team is going to drop $16m worth of players [halfway through the season, so they need to double the salary to make the $8m by season end] once they are rolling.

It essentially does the same thing that Mattshock proposed, but adds the effect of screwing up team chemistry in a big way, thus creating a greater disincentive.

5Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:42 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I didn't really take GMs into consideration.

I went and assumed that the competition from other GMs would be enough incentive to sign ASAP.

That'll teach me!

6Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:50 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

I did the opposite, and assumed that they either were in collusion, or were stupid (Murray excluded, of course). I guess I'm scarred by Muckler.

7Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:36 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

It's ok, that time has passed. We have real management now.

8Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:01 pm

TSN would not report this as often as it has, if there was any chance of it actually happening. They just want to build up hope in Sens fans so as to disappoint them when he doesn't sign here.
Not happening.

9Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:35 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cash wrote:Not happening.
TSN are just reporting that the Sens remain interested and Murray has confirmed that. And we all know that's where it will end for the Sens.

10Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:51 pm

If everyone knows it ends there, whats with the talk of Sundin and Bouw coming here in some other threads?
Its fun to speculate, but we've seen the same sh*t for months on this site and on others. Its time to let this stuff go and not bother creating threads about BS...

11Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:57 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cash wrote:If everyone knows it ends there, whats with the talk of Sundin and Bouw coming here in some other threads?
Its fun to speculate, but we've seen the same sh*t for months on this site and on others. Its time to let this stuff go and not bother creating threads about BS...
Heh. Because until it happens... it's always a possibility. No one can predict the future...

Wink

12Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:30 pm

I can, and its not happening.

13Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:18 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I hope Murray can work some magic.

Get rid of Gerber, Schubert, McAmmond, Neil and Vermette. Bring in Bouw and possibly a goalie, if not Elliott.

14Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:51 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I have faith in Murray.

If Bouw can be had, we know he's on Murray's radar.

15Sens remain interested in Sundin Empty Re: Sens remain interested in Sundin Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:04 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

One thing I'm sure we've all learned and witnessed with Murray is his sleek and cunning style of using smoke and mirrors. And with his iron-clad Gag order in effect, it's increasingly difficult to know EXACTLY who it is he REALLY wants as opposed to the rumors of who he's looking at...

I have NO doubt that Bow is on his radar, but whether he can work out a deal remains to be seen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum