GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+8
Vandelay
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Flo The Action
tim1_2
wprager
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Random thought - should the Sens try to sign Nick Foligno? Can play all three forward positions, likely wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to sign him, history with the team, oozes leadership, and plays a DJ Smith brand of hockey. They are looking for a vet center after all...

Nick foligno is not a C.

He might be cheap”ish” though. He is the type of players the sens like. It’s uncertain what club out there is still willing to spend for 2nd tier FA’s because of COVID revenues. Could be lots of deals out there.
I don’t know that I’d want a foligno that is destined to be a 3rd or 4th liner going into the next couple of years, just yet.

Like Tim says, if we bring someone in, make it someone real good. Use that 1st round pick if you want to. Bring in a 1A C guy. Not a 2Ans or 2B guy like the sens always seem to do. Lots of teams out there in a world of financial pain. It’s the time to do it if melnyk can cough up a few bucks. There are options.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Aside from Monahan who is out there? Ideally Norris becomes a really good 2C, Pinto a really good 3C, and Greig probably turns out to be our 4C unless he's moved to the wing (the thought of a Formenton+Greig combo is scary).

So whoever you bring in has to fit the mold of our rebuild which is ideally less than 26 years old with term and/or RFA control. Trade chips are L.Brown, our 2021 1st, cap space, and a player who doesn't need to be protected at the expansion draft which IMO is Brannstrom.

I guess maybe a trade can be done with LA if they'd be willing to give up one of Turcotte or Kupari. Vilardi isn't a 1C IMO and I imagine Byfield is off limits. Maybe somehow Ottawa can land Necas or get Patrick on the cheap? Players like Barzal are off the table and someone like Monahan isn't an upgrade over Norris. So the pickings are pretty slim...

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Aside from Monahan who is out there? Ideally Norris becomes a really good 2C, Pinto a really good 3C, and Greig probably turns out to be our 4C unless he's moved to the wing (the thought of a Formenton+Greig combo is scary).

So whoever you bring in has to fit the mold of our rebuild which is ideally less than 26 years old with term and/or RFA control. Trade chips are L.Brown, our 2021 1st, cap space, and a player who doesn't need to be protected at the expansion draft which IMO is Brannstrom.

I guess maybe a trade can be done with LA if they'd be willing to give up one of Turcotte or Kupari. Vilardi isn't a 1C IMO and I imagine Byfield is off limits. Maybe somehow Ottawa can land Necas or get Patrick on the cheap? Players like Barzal are off the table and someone like Monahan isn't an upgrade over Norris. So the pickings are pretty slim...

I think top top candidates are a little rarer but there’s a number of players that the might look to bring in.

No one is expecting us to land a 80 point guy.

Just a guy that can play top line or at least split that duty with Norris.

Monohan could definitely be one.
They might have a look at one of the stromes who both might be available.
There is a small possibility of Kuznetsov.
Giroux’s name has been floated out there. He is older but I’m unsure the sens are trying to stay that young. If anything they’ve indicated they’d like the right kind of vet leadership.
You also have guys like Ryan Johansson (that is possibly available, although I’m not sure he’s the right fit) or Dubois that didn’t necessarily impress in winipeg but is likely still considered possible number 1C and if isn’t likely to resign in winipeg would likely be flipped.

The sens might actually be aiming at FA Paul Statney also and it’s been said they might be looking at Danault (please god no, he’s likely gonna start dropping off).

Columbus is likely entering a rebuild. Is Roslovic available? Maybe.(not your number 1C but could be a decent 2 behind Norris for that 1-2 punch.

There’s always things that could come out of left field also. Who says Dylan Larkin doesn’t get flipped with only 2 years to go to FA?
Or there’s even been talks that a shake up in Vancouver could involve Bo Horvat(not my ideal candidate and seems like it’s just fodder that was thrown out there when I heard it by a discontent fan base and media)

There are plenty of possible moves out there whether we like them or not. There will be teams looking to trade. I’m not saying I like all these moves, but there are partners.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If I’m gonna mention Danault we might as well talk about Kreijcy. Too old and banged up if you ask me but is it not an option Dorion would consider for a couple of years? They’ve mentioned more than once bringing in the right vets. Let’s just say I won’t be surprised to see the sens bring in a guy like that on a one or two year contract. Someone they could flip at the deadline if we don’t look to be making any noise.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'd prefer we stay the course and add through the draft then. We don't need a vet center - we need someone to take this team to the next level

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I’d be more than willing to add a 1C. That said, I’m not sure of the quality of those I described. Even Monohan comes with certain question marks.
There are certainly some guys like those out of LA that I would like to trade for if that’s even an option.

If nothing is done though, I have to problem bribing in a Vet C via FA that can be flipped at the deadline this year.

IMO , this team can start competing for a playoff spot, but if they don’t, let’s make assets out of FA.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It's time we stop trading out assets at the deadline. It's time we start bringing them in. We're a piece or two away from making the playoffs if everyone comes into camp hungry and ready to go. A top three forward and a RHD. Easier said than done but we have all the pieces in place e to bring in both

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'd prefer we stay the course and add through the draft then. We don't need a vet center - we need someone to take this team to the next level

That's how I feel. Like Toronto did when they added Tavares. Swing for the fences, or don't bother yet.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Im not too worried. I don’t think the sens would pay astronomical prices for players who can’t help us long term.

If they can’t find the right deals, I don’t mind them giving another 1 or 2 year contract to player via FA if they’re a C or a RHD. We can use them while we continue to develop.
I could see a David Savard or a Krejcy brought in for next year (Savard longer).

We all would like to have a future number 1C brought here to have Norris and whoever fight for the 1 or 2nd C but might not well happen. Until then, why stand Pat? Bring in some good vets to continue to help this team grow. Most of the kids that should be on the team are already on the team. The others can come up via injuries and what nots.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Christian Dvorak should be on Dorions radar. Young, term, top six forward and probably wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Our 1st and L. Brown probably gets it done

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Christian Dvorak should be on Dorions radar. Young, term,  top six forward and probably wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Our 1st and L. Brown probably gets it done

I don’t know. I think we can get someone more offencively gifted for our second line.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

In Pierre x 2 we trust

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rinne retires.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wild are rumoured to be buying out Parisee and Suter. This clears about $10M now but huge hit down the road.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Erik Johnson waived his NMC for the expansion draft.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The buyout for Minny is ... wild. Cap hit this season will be around $5M (opens up $10M), but it goes up to over $12M the following year and nearly $15M in the next two.

Last edited by wprager on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Edmonton doing Edmonton things year after year. They clearly have no plan and are just trying to surround McDavid and Draisaitl with anyone who wants to play in Edmonton. They're going to have a crazy young, inexperienced and poor blueline next year and have terrible goaltending.

I wonder if they expect Bouchard, Lavoie, Holloway, and Broberg to be full-time NHLers next year.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:The buyout for Minny is ... wild. Cap hit this season will be around $5M (opens up $10M), but it goes up to over $12M the following year and nearly $15M in the next two.

The funny thing is Parise will sign with the Isles for next to nothing and Suter can still be effective on a one or two year deal somewhere. Don't look now but Tampa could make sense for Suter if they decide to go 7-3-1 and lose McDonagh or Cernak. Heard they may go 4-4 and protect Kuch, Point, Stamkos, Palat/Gourde/Cirellei, Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak, Sergachev.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum