GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+8
Vandelay
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Flo The Action
tim1_2
wprager
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dahlin signed a deal. Qualifying rights is not signing a deal

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Great trade for both Nashville and LA. Arvidson would have been taken in the expansion draft. Not a bad term remaining either for LA

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Great trade for both Nashville and LA. Arvidson would have been taken in the expansion draft. Not a bad term remaining either for LA

Well, it’s a great trade for LA if he bounces back. Which I believe he will. Bad time for Nashville to trade him as his value is low right now. Unless they don’t think he can regain his form than they did great.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Granato confirmed as head coach in Buffalo.
I think he’s definitely a good coach for a young team.
I don’t know how many real candidates they really considered.
Maybe Ottawa was right to not let capuano interviewed. Wouldn’t surprise me that they did want some insight on Ottawa’s front office and system.

There’s never a bad time to utilized opportunities to find out more on competitors.
Reminds me of when Dorion was interviewed by montreal for the GM position. I definitely they were milking him for information.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tourigny in Arizona.
Promising coach that gets a go around again. I just think that’s a position you got hired to get fired from. I don’t see Arizona having much success for a few years. It’s still a mess down there.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Anybody else wonder if Tocchet got left with his Donkey standing in this latest round of musical coaching chair?

Seems like he was destined for one of the available jobs but everyone went other ways (Hakstol being the big surprise IMO).

I don’t think he accepts an assistant position anywhere. Probably not for a year or so. Probably banks on someone getting fired.

That’s someone I wouldn’t mind in Ottawa if Smith stumbles. But I doubt the sens would go with anyone they can’t underpay.

There’s a few other names out there without jobs. Tortorella and Boudreau come to mind.
Id take Boudreau also. Pass on Torts. (The sens would pay the asking price anyways and I’m sure it would finish in a horrible mess between Torts and Melnyk)

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Rick Tocchet is a supreme bunghole so I wouldn't really like that. Tourigny here would've been cool but let's see what DJ can do not that there are some moderate expectations.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We already had Tourigny and he didn’t help our D much.

Tocchet isn’t a great coach

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:We already had Tourigny and he didn’t help our D much.

Tocchet isn’t a great coach

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone could've helped that D lineup.  I think Tourigny's very well suited as a coach for a young team, but maybe he's just one of these guys that is better suited to junior.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Leafs rumored to be interested in Taylor Hall. They are destined to lose in the first round again.

Tarasenko is interesting. I wonder if they look at Tkachuk out of Calgary. They'd have to throw in a sweetener for sure but there could be a fit there. St. Louis is going to be an interesting team to watch this off-season. Lots of cap space and RFAs to sign, with really only Schwartz being their big UFA to be signed.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Leafs rumored to be interested in Taylor Hall. They are destined to lose in the first round again.  

Tarasenko is interesting. I wonder if they look at Tkachuk out of Calgary. They'd have to throw in a sweetener for sure but there could be a fit there. St. Louis is going to be an interesting team to watch this off-season. Lots of cap space and RFAs to sign, with really only Schwartz being their big UFA to be signed.

Leafs getting Taylor Hall would be interesting. They have a bunch of roster spots to fill. Freddy Andersen is a UFA, I wonder what they do there? They have Jack Campbell for one more year at $1.6M, and he was really good for them during the regular season and playoffs. I could see them ditching Freddie and trying to run with a really cheap goalie tandem.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Toronto is about to lose one of Engvall, Holl, Dermott, or Kerfoot to the expansion draft. It also looks like they're not re-signing Hyman, Andersen, Foligno, Nash, Thornton, Hutton, Bogosion, and Galchenyuk. So they're down a lot of depth while Reilly is in the final year of a very team-friendly contract.  

I guess they still have Robertson, Liljegren, Sandin, and Amirov who will push for spots next season but I doubt Hall takes another one-year 'prove-it' contract making it unlikely that Toronto wants to mortgage their future with another big forward contract with so many holes in their lineup.

They also have to ask themselves if Jack Campbell was just a flash in the pan. If they were serious about contending they'd address their goaltending and try to acquire a real top-four d-man. It would make way more sense for them to pursue Dougie Hamilton and Petr Mrazek and try to shed some salary so they can add another key piece at the deadline.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Random thought - should the Sens try to sign Nick Foligno? Can play all three forward positions, likely wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to sign him, history with the team, oozes leadership, and plays a DJ Smith brand of hockey. They are looking for a vet center after all...

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Random thought - should the Sens try to sign Nick Foligno? Can play all three forward positions, likely wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to sign him, history with the team, oozes leadership, and plays a DJ Smith brand of hockey. They are looking for a vet center after all...

I'll keep saying it, if we're bring someone in, let's bring in someone really good.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Random thought - should the Sens try to sign Nick Foligno? Can play all three forward positions, likely wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to sign him, history with the team, oozes leadership, and plays a DJ Smith brand of hockey. They are looking for a vet center after all...

I'll keep saying it, if we're bring someone in, let's bring in someone really good.

I couldn't agree more but let's be realistic here. It's Ottawa and it's Melnyk.

What we need can't really be acquired on the FA market. We need a young top-six forward and a top-four dman that can be had for cheap. I say this every year in that we should be weaponizing our cap space, especially in a year where we can trade players who do not need to be protected in the draft for players that do need to be protected.

I can see us bargain-bin shopping in bringing in Nolan Patrick types. Guys with high-end potential that haven't quite made it yet. Not a lot of those out there anymore.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nick foligno is not a C.

He might be cheap”ish” though. He is the type of players the sens like. It’s uncertain what club out there is still willing to spend for 2nd tier FA’s because of COVID revenues. Could be lots of deals out there.
I don’t know that I’d want a foligno that is destined to be a 3rd or 4th liner going into the next couple of years, just yet.

Like Tim says, if we bring someone in, make it someone real good. Use that 1st round pick if you want to. Bring in a 1A C guy. Not a 2Ans or 2B guy like the sens always seem to do. Lots of teams out there in a world of financial pain. It’s the time to do it if melnyk can cough up a few bucks. There are options.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Aside from Monahan who is out there? Ideally Norris becomes a really good 2C, Pinto a really good 3C, and Greig probably turns out to be our 4C unless he's moved to the wing (the thought of a Formenton+Greig combo is scary).

So whoever you bring in has to fit the mold of our rebuild which is ideally less than 26 years old with term and/or RFA control. Trade chips are L.Brown, our 2021 1st, cap space, and a player who doesn't need to be protected at the expansion draft which IMO is Brannstrom.

I guess maybe a trade can be done with LA if they'd be willing to give up one of Turcotte or Kupari. Vilardi isn't a 1C IMO and I imagine Byfield is off limits. Maybe somehow Ottawa can land Necas or get Patrick on the cheap? Players like Barzal are off the table and someone like Monahan isn't an upgrade over Norris. So the pickings are pretty slim...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Aside from Monahan who is out there? Ideally Norris becomes a really good 2C, Pinto a really good 3C, and Greig probably turns out to be our 4C unless he's moved to the wing (the thought of a Formenton+Greig combo is scary).

So whoever you bring in has to fit the mold of our rebuild which is ideally less than 26 years old with term and/or RFA control. Trade chips are L.Brown, our 2021 1st, cap space, and a player who doesn't need to be protected at the expansion draft which IMO is Brannstrom.

I guess maybe a trade can be done with LA if they'd be willing to give up one of Turcotte or Kupari. Vilardi isn't a 1C IMO and I imagine Byfield is off limits. Maybe somehow Ottawa can land Necas or get Patrick on the cheap? Players like Barzal are off the table and someone like Monahan isn't an upgrade over Norris. So the pickings are pretty slim...

I think top top candidates are a little rarer but there’s a number of players that the might look to bring in.

No one is expecting us to land a 80 point guy.

Just a guy that can play top line or at least split that duty with Norris.

Monohan could definitely be one.
They might have a look at one of the stromes who both might be available.
There is a small possibility of Kuznetsov.
Giroux’s name has been floated out there. He is older but I’m unsure the sens are trying to stay that young. If anything they’ve indicated they’d like the right kind of vet leadership.
You also have guys like Ryan Johansson (that is possibly available, although I’m not sure he’s the right fit) or Dubois that didn’t necessarily impress in winipeg but is likely still considered possible number 1C and if isn’t likely to resign in winipeg would likely be flipped.

The sens might actually be aiming at FA Paul Statney also and it’s been said they might be looking at Danault (please god no, he’s likely gonna start dropping off).

Columbus is likely entering a rebuild. Is Roslovic available? Maybe.(not your number 1C but could be a decent 2 behind Norris for that 1-2 punch.

There’s always things that could come out of left field also. Who says Dylan Larkin doesn’t get flipped with only 2 years to go to FA?
Or there’s even been talks that a shake up in Vancouver could involve Bo Horvat(not my ideal candidate and seems like it’s just fodder that was thrown out there when I heard it by a discontent fan base and media)

There are plenty of possible moves out there whether we like them or not. There will be teams looking to trade. I’m not saying I like all these moves, but there are partners.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum