GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thoughts on bottle jacks

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thoughts on bottle jacks Empty Thoughts on bottle jacks Mon May 25, 2020 5:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm still riding on my winters and was thinking of getting a jack. To save some space in the crowded garage I was considering a bottle jack. They are also way cheaper than a trolley type. But what are the drawbacks? I can get a 20 ton bottle jack for about half the price of a 3 ton trolley jack (bottle jack on Amazon, trolley at Costco).

Anything else I should worry about?

2Thoughts on bottle jacks Empty Re: Thoughts on bottle jacks Mon May 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I'm still riding on my winters and was thinking of getting a jack. To save some space in the crowded garage I was considering a bottle jack.  They are also way cheaper than a trolley type.  But what are the drawbacks?  I can get a 20 ton bottle jack for about half the price of a 3 ton trolley jack (bottle jack on Amazon, trolley at Costco).

your car falling on you... Sarcasm

3Thoughts on bottle jacks Empty Re: Thoughts on bottle jacks Mon May 25, 2020 7:39 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:I'm still riding on my winters and was thinking of getting a jack. To save some space in the crowded garage I was considering a bottle jack.  They are also way cheaper than a trolley type.  But what are the drawbacks?  I can get a 20 ton bottle jack for about half the price of a 3 ton trolley jack (bottle jack on Amazon, trolley at Costco).

your car falling on you... Sarcasm

Yeah, this is actually a very legit point. Bottle jacks are less stable. If you really know what you're doing, I guess I wouldn't worry about that safety aspect too much. If I were buying one, I'd 100% get the floor jack (trolley jack) as they are safer and I'm an idiot.

4Thoughts on bottle jacks Empty Re: Thoughts on bottle jacks Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, thanks for the input.

EDIT: Reading up it says that, even with a trolley/floor jack it is recommended to use axle stands. So how about a 6 ton bottle jack and a pair of axle stands?

5Thoughts on bottle jacks Empty Re: Thoughts on bottle jacks Tue May 26, 2020 9:15 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:OK, thanks for the input.

EDIT: Reading up it says that, even with a trolley/floor jack it is recommended to use axle stands.  So how about a 6 ton bottle jack and a pair of axle stands?

more prudent

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum