GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+9
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
Flo The Action
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 59 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:He’s done though
He’s only 30. I’m not sure he’s done. This year sucked but so did the rags. His point total wasn’t too bad the year prior considering he only played 46 games. He could be quite useful on a team loaded like Tampa.

It seems most buyouts go on to do nothing afterwards. Rangers (who don’t have great D) probably would have kept him otherwise

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wouldn't bother with Shattenkirk - not that he'd sign with a non-contender anyway. Nothing to see there at all. A nice bottom pairing guy for Tampa - and I guess insurance if there are injuries, but you don't buy someone out unless they're WELL above what they're being paid and on a steep decline.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:I wouldn't bother with Shattenkirk - not that he'd sign with a non-contender anyway.  Nothing to see there at all.  A nice bottom pairing guy for Tampa - and I guess insurance if there are injuries, but you don't buy someone out unless they're WELL above what they're being paid and on a steep decline.
I think he also fell victim to the rags having to clear salary to resign everyone

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:I wouldn't bother with Shattenkirk - not that he'd sign with a non-contender anyway.  Nothing to see there at all.  A nice bottom pairing guy for Tampa - and I guess insurance if there are injuries, but you don't buy someone out unless they're WELL above what they're being paid and on a steep decline.

The Rangers can afford to do it. If someone doesn't work out you bury or buy them out. He's only 30 and had a bad year on a bad team. He should have never gotten his contract. He'll rebound well in Tampa and I think can salvage his career

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
I think he also fell victim to the rags having to clear salary to resign everyone

As usual, the Rangers feel the need to give big contracts over and over again to try to speed up the rebuild and then past big contracts come back to bite them. They literally never learn, but then, they have the money to Diddle around.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Markov trying to return to the Habs after two years away and at 40. I think the best he can hope for at this stage is a PTO. I think the Habs should give it to him. If anything let the fans see him skate one last time in pre-season games.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Lots of D-men still on the sidelines. Gardiner, Phaneuf, Methot, Seidenberg, Kronwall. So, yeah, if he's signed it's a PR move, mostly.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This year has been a literal nightmare for RFA’s. No one wants to sign a deal in the hopes of being able to get a contract that takes them to FA.
As much as everyone calls him the wonder kid, I think Dubas shot the entire league in the foot by giving Matthews that contract. Now all the noteable RFA’s are trying to get the same 5 year deal. I doubt that this is the case with white(although you never know) but this could certainly become an issue with Chabot.
Everyone is in a standstill waiting for the next shoe to drop. There will be more reasons to hate Dubas if he caves in and goes the same route with Marner as it will probably have a ripple effect around the league. Every kid and his agent now thinks they can land two big contracts and have complete control over their destiny much sooner.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Lots of D-men still on the sidelines. Gardiner, Phaneuf, Methot, Seidenberg, Kronwall.  So, yeah, if he's signed it's a PR move, mostly.
out of all those you mentioned I think Gardiner is the only one that is really getting a contract done. The others could all be facing retirement.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Lots of D-men still on the sidelines. Gardiner, Phaneuf, Methot, Seidenberg, Kronwall.  So, yeah, if he's signed it's a PR move, mostly.
out of all those you mentioned I think Gardiner is the only one that is really getting a contract done. The others could all be facing retirement.

Gardiner is Buffalo bound as soon as they trade from their excess Dmen in my opinion.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Gardiner is Buffalo bound as soon as they trade from their excess Dmen in my opinion.

Seems like a Buffalo move for sure.

I can't help but feel he'd be a good fit in Chicago. They have a way of resurrecting careers.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:This year has been a literal nightmare for RFA’s. No one wants to sign a deal in the hopes of being able to get a contract that takes them to FA.
As much as everyone calls him the wonder kid, I think Dubas shot the entire league in the foot by giving Matthews that contract. Now all the noteable RFA’s are trying to get the same 5 year deal. I doubt that this is the case with white(although you never know) but this could certainly become an issue with Chabot.
Everyone is in a standstill waiting for the next shoe to drop. There will be more reasons to hate Dubas if he caves in and goes the same route with Marner as it will probably have a ripple effect around the league. Every kid and his agent now thinks they can land two big contracts and have complete control over their destiny much sooner.

Oh yeah. That's now the standard. Massive money to get to UFA. That Matthews contract sucks balls.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:This year has been a literal nightmare for RFA’s. No one wants to sign a deal in the hopes of being able to get a contract that takes them to FA.

Dubas did this to himself. Signing Tavares threw everything in Toronto out of whack. He could have saved face by trading Nylander but instead has shown the rest of the league the power of player holdouts. Nylander became the 'way forward' and Matthews' contract became 'the bar'. I'd have never thought someone like Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Conner would get over $6.5M on an RFA deal and now have real shots making $8M+. Now these guys sit out 10-15 games, the team panics when they lose games they should be winning, and they give in to their demands.

If I were Chabot I'd be doing the same thing. The difference in Ottawa is that I do believe there will be a management change and a commitment to spend money over the next couple of seasons. Use this year as a growing year, develop the young guys in the NHL and AHL, get a top 2 pick, and all of a sudden you have a really competitive team. Hopefully Chabot (and Tkachuk) see that, Melnyk sells, and the Sens are setup for the next decade.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Byfield kinda reminds me of a centre Tkachuk

Hendrix Lapierre has been a real treat so far this tournament

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Seems like a Buffalo move for sure.

I can't help but feel he'd be a good fit in Chicago. They have a way of resurrecting careers.

From what I heard Buffalo is 8 deep on D. They’re already trying to move Ristolainen for a top 6 forward and they’re still right up against the cap. Chicago seems right up against the cap as well without much space. If anything it’s colorado that should take a running at him. Zadorov isn’t really proven as a top 4 and they might actually look to part ways with him at one point.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:

Dubas did this to himself. Signing Tavares threw everything in Toronto out of whack. He could have saved face by trading Nylander but instead has shown the rest of the league the power of player holdouts. Nylander became the 'way forward' and Matthews' contract became 'the bar'. I'd have never thought someone like Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Conner would get over $6.5M on an RFA deal and now have real shots making $8M+. Now these guys sit out 10-15 games, the team panics when they lose games they should be winning, and they give in to their demands.

If I were Chabot I'd be doing the same thing. The difference in Ottawa is that I do believe there will be a management change and a commitment to spend money over the next couple of seasons. Use this year as a growing year, develop the young guys in the NHL and AHL, get a top 2 pick, and all of a sudden you have a really competitive team. Hopefully Chabot (and Tkachuk) see that, Melnyk sells, and the Sens are setup for the next decade.

I think you’re right, dumbas not only Cussed his team but the rest of the league. And everything in terms of future with this team’s hinges on Melnyk selling. PLayers willingness to resign certainly is.
The more I think about it, the less I see Chabot resigning with the team before next summer. There is going to be this underlining threat that he may want to utilize that he could sign a front loaded offer sheet that Melnyk wouldn’t want to match so that he may bargain a 5 year contract that brings him to UFA if it gets done before next summer.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If this was Melnyk people would have a field day. The canes owner is just as cheap and weird

https://www.nhl.com/news/dundon-expects-waddell-to-stay-with-hurricanes/c-308465768?tcid=tw_news_content_id

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:If this was Melnyk people would have a field day. The canes owner is just as cheap and weird

https://www.nhl.com/news/dundon-expects-waddell-to-stay-with-hurricanes/c-308465768?tcid=tw_news_content_id

ouf... that was interesting. I don't know if that's cheap or just a very financial sector business way of doing things. it's obviously a way not to get stuck with having to pay him if he gets fired and a way to keep a lit fire under his Donkey.

but lets face it, it's not the way things work in the NHL. Tom Dundon will learn. it's not a great move on his part. but people don't care that much in Carolina. Melnyk would have been roasted for this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 59 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum