GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+9
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
Flo The Action
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 58 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think Dorion/Melnyk need to take a few shots at hedging contracts, ie:

Wolanin: 5 x $4.25M
White: 5 x 4.5M

They will either bite the team in the Donkey or will make Dorion look like a genius. Both would take these players to UFA and entering their prime. You then decide if you want to extend them or trade them for futures. It's an overpayment now, but in 2-3 years they may look like a steal.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think Dorion/Melnyk need to take a few shots at hedging contracts, ie:

They will either bite the team in the Donkey or will make Dorion look like a genius. Both would take these players to UFA and entering their prime. You then decide if you want to extend them or trade them for futures. It's an overpayment now, but in 2-3 years they may look like a steal.

I get your overall point but IMO it wouldn't make any sense for them to get virtually identical contracts. White is a tier above Wolanin as a player/"prospect".

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Id he though? Both haven't accomplished much. And Wolanin's contract would be in two years time from now seeing that he was just extended.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think the Sens have to start thinking about the expansion draft and who they are going to protect. I don't think players on ELC's are eligible, are they?

Seattle will need to hit the cap floor and If Ottawa can protect 7 forwards, 3 D and a goalie, and their ELC's are not draft eligible, Seattle won't have a lot to choose from. Maybe we can get them to take Ryan. I'd also expect the Leafs to dangle Nylander unless he turns it around this season.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Id he though? Both haven't accomplished much. And Wolanin's contract would be in two years time from now seeing that he was just extended.

True, didn't think about that point, but yes I'd consider White a clear tier above personally.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think Dorion/Melnyk need to take a few shots at hedging contracts, ie:

I think we’re way past that at this point. Short of trading Zaitsev and a swizzle stick for McDavid, there is nothing Dorion can do to make himself look like a genius.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think the Sens have to start thinking about the expansion draft and who they are going to protect. I don't think players on ELC's are eligible, are they?

Seattle will need to hit the cap floor and If Ottawa can protect 7 forwards, 3 D and a goalie, and their ELC's are not draft eligible, Seattle won't have a lot to choose from. Maybe we can get them to take Ryan. I'd also expect the Leafs to dangle Nylander unless he turns it around this season.  

Did Zaitsev lose his NMC when he came here? According to capfriendly it’s still there. So we’d protect him, Chabot and either DeMelo or Wolanin. I imagine one of those last two would wind up being taken. Seattle is a lovely city though, maybe Zaitsev agrees to move his protection for the draft.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Id he though? Both haven't accomplished much. And Wolanin's contract would be in two years time from now seeing that he was just extended.

True, didn't think about that point, but yes I'd consider White a clear tier above personally.
Agreed. Although who knows where Wolanin sits a couple years from now. He does look like a top 4 prospect to me.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Agreed. Although who knows where Wolanin sits a couple years from now. He does look like a top 4 prospect to me.

Yeah I think he's a top prospect. I think our prospect with the biggest boom/bust potential is Formenton. The thing with him is he's either going to be a great 3rd line player or a fringe 3rd line player unless he works on his hands. He has elite speed but can't seem to score breakaway goals.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Yeah I think he's a top prospect. I think our prospect with the biggest boom/bust potential is Formenton. The thing with him is he's either going to be a great 3rd line player or a fringe 3rd line player unless he works on his hands. He has elite speed but can't seem to score breakaway goals.

Hmm have to disagree there. Logan Brown is more boom or bust. Formenton should be an NHL lock in my opinion.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Hmm have to disagree there. Logan Brown is more boom or bust. Formenton should be an NHL lock in my opinion.

Good point, actually. I didn't really consider him in the same lens as Formenton. Brown's issue has never been skill or scoring. He's put up good numbers at every level of hockey. His knock has been that he's prone to injury, which I imagine happens to players who grow quickly and haven't filled out yet. I imagine his goal this off-season will be to add mass. I think if he goes from 220 to 230 he'll be increasingly difficult to get off the puck. I guess in my mind he's a lock to make the NHL - maybe I shouldn't jump the gun so much with him. His upside is just so hard to shy away from.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Good point, actually. I didn't really consider him in the same lens as Formenton. Brown's issue has never been skill or scoring. He's put up good numbers at every level of hockey. His knock has been that he's prone to injury, which I imagine happens to players who grow quickly and haven't filled out yet. I imagine his goal this off-season will be to add mass. I think if he goes from 220 to 230 he'll be increasingly difficult to get off the puck. I guess in my mind he's a lock to make the NHL - maybe I shouldn't jump the gun so much with him. His upside is just so hard to shy away from.  
IMO Brown’s biggest knock is his speed and capacity to keep up with the play in the NHL. Skill is there but giving his 100% and working on his acceleration are going to be key if he wants to reach his potential let alone be a full time NHLer. So yeah, boom or bust like Ev said.

I also agree, Formenton is as guaranteed an NHLer as you’ll find. The question really is “is he top 9 or can he be top 6?”
Worst case scenario is 4rth line but he can create space with his speed.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Shattenkirk signs with the lightning 1 year deal 1.75.... god damnit.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He’s done though

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:He’s done though
He’s only 30. I’m not sure he’s done. This year sucked but so did the rags. His point total wasn’t too bad the year prior considering he only played 46 games. He could be quite useful on a team loaded like Tampa.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:He’s done though
He’s only 30. I’m not sure he’s done. This year sucked but so did the rags. His point total wasn’t too bad the year prior considering he only played 46 games. He could be quite useful on a team loaded like Tampa.

It seems most buyouts go on to do nothing afterwards. Rangers (who don’t have great D) probably would have kept him otherwise

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wouldn't bother with Shattenkirk - not that he'd sign with a non-contender anyway. Nothing to see there at all. A nice bottom pairing guy for Tampa - and I guess insurance if there are injuries, but you don't buy someone out unless they're WELL above what they're being paid and on a steep decline.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:I wouldn't bother with Shattenkirk - not that he'd sign with a non-contender anyway.  Nothing to see there at all.  A nice bottom pairing guy for Tampa - and I guess insurance if there are injuries, but you don't buy someone out unless they're WELL above what they're being paid and on a steep decline.
I think he also fell victim to the rags having to clear salary to resign everyone

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 58 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum