GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+10
TheAvatar
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
Oglethorpe
Ev
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Lagoon
DefenceWinsChampionships
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:All jokes aside I still don't understand how they think they can inject youth with the exact same roster as last season. There are literally 1-2 spots up for grabs, if that.

I 100% expect Tkachuk to announce that he will be going back to college. No reason for him to enter the Ottawa dung show this year.

How so?

Forwards on one-way contracts (11): Duchene, Stone, Dzingel, Pageau, Smith, Gaborik, Boedker, MPS, Pyatt, Ryan, McCormick. They may want Carey for the 4th line center role.

Pushing for spots: White, Chlapik, Tkachuk, Batherson, Brown, Formenton, Paul

Maybe Gaborik is LTIR, McCormick healthy scratch which opens up total 3 spots

Defencemen expected to make the team (6): Karlsson, Chabot, Harpur, Wideman, Ceci, Boro

Pushing for spots: Wolanin, Englund, Jaros

Boro (probably) or Wideman (hopefully not) will get injured at some point opening a spot for Wolanin

So maybe we see trades at the deadline or throughout the year but the roster is pretty much set IMO.

The roster is definitely not set. One way contract doesn't mean anything for McCormick or Harpur. Spots will go to whoever deserves it. IMO only Brown, Formenton and Batherson are pushing for spots. I think we also need to see if Gabroik is healthy.

Last edited by Ev on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Or extending MPS. Little sense.

He's the perfect fourth line winger and looked very good in his role, and makes next to nothing salary wise. You don't want a young guy in his role.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:All jokes aside I still don't understand how they think they can inject youth with the exact same roster as last season. There are literally 1-2 spots up for grabs, if that.

I 100% expect Tkachuk to announce that he will be going back to college. No reason for him to enter the Ottawa dung show this year.

He’s not strong enough yet in my opinion. He should be going back to college and I expect him to do so. I hope he does. So much to like about his game, but I’d like him to get a year bigger and stronger even though he already has enough size to play. With that said, he will probably turn pro.

Last edited by Lagoon on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

22_4_ever wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Except when you put words in my mouth, or when you quote your previously emabarassingly wrong sources, your exact post is what I’ve been saying since I joined.

What words did I put in your mouth.

If you're stating you've been saying for months that EK would be here till December when Ottawa was out of the race for last place and then they'll trade him then fine, but that only has happened because the trade fell through weeks ago.

Choose to not believe it, my life and happiness doesn't depend on you believing me or the fact that I have a couple of friends in NHL circles.  The fact is still plain and you'll find out that the deal was there, EK has at this time only agreed to go to Tampa.  

To stick you're head in the sand and believe that Ottawa refused a trade (or to trade) EK in the summer when they could get a much better package, just because they wanted to avoid the embarrassment of giving colorado the first pick is just stupid.  The only way trading EK in December (or at the deadline) instead of now, is that teams know he is not going to sign next summer with anyone but Tampa.  That all happened as soon as the Sens allowed teams to contact his agent and discuss a potential extension.  Most teams interested found out pretty quick he had no intention to sign.

There are a couple of people on the site who I choose to prove my sources to, and you're not one of them.  So bite me.

Lagoon, I've said the same thing as 22. They aren't going to keep Karlsson and take a lesser return just to try and get a better 1st rd pick. The Sens would only trade him at the deadline because they weren't getting good value for him now. If Karlsson stated his desire to sign with Tampa and only Tampa then the Sens are best off waiting until the deadline where they can get better value for him strictly as a rental. No one is going to offer up a lot if he doesn't want to re-sign there. Are there offers for him now? Absolutely. But the offers probably aren't great because he won't sign with anyone long-term. Why would Tampa give anything up if Karl's desire is to play there next season? So the Sens at this point are better off holding onto him, see if they can convince him to re-sign or hope he puts up amazing numbers, sell him as a rental at the deadline, and move on. It has nothing to do with the 1st rd pick. It has everything to do with the Sens not getting the return they want for him and letting him negotiate long-term deals with other teams. By all accounts Dorion/Melnyk blew this situation. Maybe, just maybe, if Melnyk sells Karlsson will reconsider signing. But that's a big if, and contrary to what a lot of people are saying I think Melnyk is unfortunately here to stay.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I like the MPS signing, but the Boedker trade is just a calamity of errors by Dorian. From start to finish, he should be embarrassed.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I don't think the Boedker trade is bad.

- He will put up 15-20 goals which is slightly less than what Hoffman put up last season
- It alleviates the locker room problems
- Costs less than Hoffman
- Got a pick out of it
- He's not a shoot-first player

I don't think the return was horrendous given the circumstance.

That said, Hoffman may put up 30+ in Florida this season. And by may I mean probably will.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:

He's the perfect fourth line winger and looked very good in his role, and makes next to nothing salary wise. You don't want a young guy in his role.

Also, I do wish you were a Dorion burner account btw

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I don't think the Boedker trade is bad.

- He will put up 15-20 goals which is slightly less than what Hoffman put up last season
- Got a pick out of it

That said, Hoffman may put up 30+ in Florida this season. And by may I mean probably will.

I think regardless if you like the trade or not, there's not much Dorion could have done. He had zero leverage. Hoffman had to go.

I'd bet a lot of money he does not score 30 goals.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:

- Got a pick out of it

I think regardless if you like the trade or not, there's not much Dorion could have done. He had zero leverage. Hoffman had to go.

Side bet?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:

- Got a pick out of it

Side bet?

Sure I’d bet like $25

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:

I like the MPS signing, but the Boedker trade is just a calamity of errors by Dorian. From start to finish, he should be embarrassed.
Yup. Horrendous trade that he pretty much got forced into but is kind of responsible for also. We could of had a much better return before. Boedker was almost bought out by sjs. Not a bad player but not for that price. 
It will likely go down as his worst trade.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Except when you put words in my mouth, or when you quote your previously emabarassingly wrong sources, your exact post is what I’ve been saying since I joined.

What words did I put in your mouth.

If you're stating you've been saying for months that EK would be here till December when Ottawa was out of the race for last place and then they'll trade him then fine, but that only has happened because the trade fell through weeks ago.

Choose to not believe it, my life and happiness doesn't depend on you believing me or the fact that I have a couple of friends in NHL circles.  The fact is still plain and you'll find out that the deal was there, EK has at this time only agreed to go to Tampa.  

To stick you're head in the sand and believe that Ottawa refused a trade (or to trade) EK in the summer when they could get a much better package, just because they wanted to avoid the embarrassment of giving colorado the first pick is just stupid.  The only way trading EK in December (or at the deadline) instead of now, is that teams know he is not going to sign next summer with anyone but Tampa.  That all happened as soon as the Sens allowed teams to contact his agent and discuss a potential extension.  Most teams interested found out pretty quick he had no intention to sign.

There are a couple of people on the site who I choose to prove my sources to, and you're not one of them.  So bite me.

Lagoon, I've said the same thing as 22. They aren't going to keep Karlsson and take a lesser return just to try and get a better 1st rd pick. The Sens would only trade him at the deadline because they weren't getting good value for him now. If Karlsson stated his desire to sign with Tampa and only Tampa then the Sens are best off waiting until the deadline where they can get better value for him strictly as a rental. No one is going to offer up a lot if he doesn't want to re-sign there. Are there offers for him now? Absolutely. But the offers probably aren't great because he won't sign with anyone long-term. Why would Tampa give anything up if Karl's desire is to play there next season? So the Sens at this point are better off holding onto him, see if they can convince him to re-sign or hope he puts up amazing numbers, sell him as a rental at the deadline, and move on. It has nothing to do with the 1st rd pick. It has everything to do with the Sens not getting the return they want for him and letting him negotiate long-term deals with other teams. By all accounts Dorion/Melnyk blew this situation. Maybe, just maybe, if Melnyk sells Karlsson will reconsider signing. But that's a big if, and contrary to what a lot of people are saying I think Melnyk is unfortunately here to stay.

I think Dorion (ie Melnyk) b’ew It when they didn’t pull the trigger on Tampa trading for karlsson when they couldn’t include Ryan. 
Tampa probably found out that Dallas didn’t have a shot and decided it wasn’t gonna pay what they already offered. Dorion probably has to answer to Melnyk but he lacks what it takes to be a GM internally. BM could have sold the move to Melnyk. Dorion is a yes man and therefore shouldn’t be the GM. L’éléphant him where he’s good at and that’s scouting.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

- Got a pick out of it

We lost a first line player for a marginal 2ndline but more likely 3rd liner. It’s not how much pay or who is capable of what but we are now without a 1st line LW when we should have replaced him with at least someone with that potential not à has been. The spot Boedker should be taken on the third line should have been filled internally by a youngster like formenton or Batherson. 
It’s just throwing Dung at the wall right now and hoping it sticks.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:

- Got a pick out of it

We lost a first line player for a marginal 2ndline but more likely 3rd liner. It’s not how much pay or who is capable of what but we are now without a 1st line LW when we should have replaced him with at least someone with that potential not à has been. The spot Boedker should be taken on the third line should have been filled internally by a youngster like formenton or Batherson. 
It’s just throwing Dung at the wall right now and hoping it sticks.

This is only true if you think Hoffman is a first line player.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:

- Got a pick out of it

Side bet?

Sure I’d bet like $25

I laughed at this exchange.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tkachuk will sign a pro contract. He's informed BU coach of his intention.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The right move. Never made sense to play in Boston again

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:The right move. Never made sense to play in Boston again

I keep agreeing with you. Stop it!

In all seriousness, though, because he can play in either London or Belleville (if he's not ready for the NHL) it made very little sense to return to BU. If he was a second rounder and not pretty much guaranteed to be a full time NHLer then getting a college education would be the right move. But in his case, almost a no brainier. Besides, do we even know what he was studying? If anything?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum