GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2018 NHL Entry Draft

+8
dennycrane
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Oglethorpe
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 41]

5862018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Tkachuk has played with Brown and his brother with White. Said he knew Wideman as well. Apparently Zadina didn't do well in the combine and he shies away from the high contact areas.

The positive of all this we have three American and three Canadian WJHC studs vying for spots next year. We could very well see a combination of Tkachuk, Brown, White, Burrows, MPS, Pyatt, Chalpik, McCormick, Formenton in the bottom six next year. There could be worse things.

5872018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:16 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Tkachuk has played with Brown and his brother with White. Said he knew Wideman as well. Apparently Zadina didn't do well in the combine and he shies away from the high contact areas.

The positive of all this we have three American and three Canadian WJHC studs vying for spots next year.  We could very well see a combination of Tkachuk, Brown, White, Burrows, MPS, Pyatt, Chalpik, McCormick, Formenton in the bottom six next year. There could be worse things.

Yeah, that was the sentiment from the minute we traded Brassard. Pageau with good linemates won't produce that much less than Brassard and then you open the hole at 3C for Brown to be eased into it gently - and now you have Tkachuk and White to start bolstering the lineup with some LONG overdue young, spirited bucks.

5882018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Must admit, I was not happy at first. But more than willing to let the kid prove me wrong. Guess I'm still concerned from the hype around White (who had better production and better results against the same calibre of competition.

Tkachuk is bigger, and we need size up front (Bobby Ryan is big but not a great skater). I know that White is fast and hopefully so is Tkachuk.

Team speed is everything in today's NHL and we just lost Hoffman, and still have Ryan. And, of course, Stone.

White doesn’t have Tkachuks offense

5892018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Actual stats would beg to differ.

5902018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Actual stats would beg to differ.

That’s not how it works. Tkachuk played with poor talent at every level compared to White

5912018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't see how you could know that without some serious analysis. But I can't argue with you, either.

5922018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wow. I need to catch up on everything. I had a CFA exam today so I was out of the loop. Is anyone gonna put together a run down of our new prospects?

5932018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:01 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I'm OK with the Tkachuk pick.  I didn't think I would be, but I am.  Nice to have a guy with high grit factor that can play in the top 6.  At least if he isn't putting up points, we know that he'll be piledriving guys around the ice.  I like to think of him as our answer to guys like Simmonds, Marchand, Gallagher, etc.

It was also nice to see that all the "Insider" speculation about trades fell flat, again.  I guess they need to learn that big deals rarely happen on the draft floor.

Yeah I mean, I think those are the comparisons when you talk about his ceiling but that’s goong to be hard to attain but you never know. If his body holds up and he does become like those guys and scores 30 a year than I’ll be more than happy.
Just not sure if he’ll actually be that 1st line guy.

5942018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think all in all a good 24 hours. I'm envisioning 10 forwards fighting for bottom six roles and 8-9 vying for d spots. Time to start moving some players

5952018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Hockey News on Bernard-Docker:

-the perfect foil for fellow JR A star Jonny Tychonick

-childhood friends + played on the same pairing at the WJ A Challenge and CJHL Prospects Game

- "Well rounded, reliable in his own zone, plays physical and is a great skater" says a scout

- "He was cleaning up Tychonick's rushes at the WJAC. I'd have this kid out in the final minutes of a game."

- Top scoring blueliner in the AJHL playoffs

- Scout: "He comes to make plays, smooth, efficient, low-panic, moves the puck really well. In fact, he's kind of the opposite of Tychonick, he's structured and efficient."

- which of the two childhood friends goes first in the draft? "Probably Bernard-Docker, but if you're counting Tychonick out because of the lack of structure in his game, remember that's coachable and he's got incredible talent. It's a toss up, really."

5962018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Hockey News on Tychonick:

-this year's JR A prospects game was a chaotic mess, that also happened to showcase the fast and aggressive play from Tychonick from the blueline.

- "He's a highly competitive, NHL caliber skater who wants to win and has the skill set to back that up."

- Wants to make an impact every shift - to a fault sometimes. He'll learn to dial it back

- Awesome speed and skill

- Must hone skills into a complete game

- "He skates well, but sometimes I don't know what he's accomplishing out there. He passes well and he skates like the wind, but his game is helter skelter. He needs coaching and he'll get it."

- Gonna be fun to watch.

5972018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ken Campbell:

Anyone other than Buffalo who passes on Tkachuk does so at their own risk

The gameplan was to have Tkachuk on Team USA at 18 to get him ready for next year where he'd probably be C, but that has gone by the wayside as Tkachuk was (in his opinion) the best player for Team USA and a 'slam-dunk' to be in the NHL next season

Imagine a 6'3" Claude Lemieux...

Destined to be an elite offensive producer, true power forward with snarl to spare

5982018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Hockey News on Tkachuk:

-Matthew, his brother, is leary about facing him in the NHL - and he literally doesn't feel that way about any other player. It says a lot

- Give him space and he'll destroy you with his offensive skills

- High end power forward. Plays hard and has a great skill set. World Juniors woke the world up to him." Says a scout

- One of the youngest players in college hockey this season, did not phase him.

-Scout: Play him in the AHL for a bit next season, then let him loose. He's gonna be a power forward in the NHL for a long time.

5992018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-prospect-jonathan-gruden-feature/c-297410366

Jonathan Gruden wasn't a fan the first time he got on the ice. Fifteen years later, it's hard to get his skates off.

Gruden, a forward with USA Hockey's National Team Development Program under-18 team, is No. 48 in NHL Central Scouting's midterm ranking of North American skaters for the 2018 NHL Draft, to be held at American Airlines Center in Dallas on June 22-23.

That's a long way from the rink in Germany he first shuffled out on.

"I was around 2 or 3, living in Germany, my dad was playing over there," Gruden said. "I didn't like it at first and [my father] thought I wouldn't start playing. Then we tried again and I loved it."

In 2002-03, Gruden's father, John Gruden, was playing for Eisbaren Berlin in Germany's top league. It came near the end of an 11-season professional career that included 92 games with the Boston Bruins, Ottawa Senators and Washington Capitals.

John said he always thought his son would come around to hockey.

"I wasn't worried, just said now isn't the time," he said. "My neighbor … his son was a little younger and loved it and my son wanted Woody and Buzz [from "Toy Story"]. The next year when I went back to Washington for camp, you could see the light switch went on for him and I like this."

Jonathan Gruden

After John retired, the family settled in Michigan and Jonathan developed his game with the Little Caesars and Honeybaked hockey programs.

John was also developing as a coach and was hired as an assistant with the NTDP in 2011. John helped with Jonathan's teams, but did his best to be a parent rather than a coach from the stands.

"I supported him and always told him be a good teammate and make people better and listen to your coach," John said. "The only thing I can do as a parent is screw it up. I sit back."

Jonathan appreciates the input he's received from his father while also being able to grow on his own.

That includes watching how his father handled an odd situation with Flint of the Ontario Hockey League in 2015-16. John was fired as coach 17 games into his first season, reportedly because the team owner wasn't happy with his son's ice time. A player boycott led to Gruden being re-hired a day later. He eventually was promoted to general manager but was fired again with 15 games remaining in the season.

"He handled it with such class," Jonathan said. "Was a tough situation there. He did everything he could to be with [his players]. That was the No. 1 priority, the team. Luckily, they protested for him like that. It was a huge testament to what kind of coach he is."

Jonathan said his big takeaway was, "Success isn't going to be a straight line. There's going to be bumps along the way. With that, be a great player and a great teammate and great things will happen."

Some pretty good things have happened for Jonathan this season. He's sixth on the NTDP with 49 points (24 goals, 25 assists) in 52 games and tied for second with a plus-30 rating. He started at center but a move to left wing on the top line with fellow 2018 draft prospect right wing Oliver Wahlstrom and center Jack Hughes, a top prospect for the 2019 NHL Draft, has helped unlock his full skill set.

"Long-term he'll be a center, but physically it's hard to him to play a top two-line center role with those defensive responsibilities and produce a lot of offense," NTDP coach Seth Appert said. "When we switched him to the wing his offense came out."

Jonathan Gruden

NHL scouts have been happy with what they've seen whether Gruden has been in the middle or on the wing.

"He is a smart player who understands the game in all zones," said David Gregory of NHL Central Scouting. "He's responsible defensively, and very effective in the face-off circle when he plays center. He is versatile and can play the wing as well. He works hard and is not afraid to go to tough areas, and lets the play develop so he can create scoring chances. His skating is very strong, and he accelerates well with and without the puck.

"He plays the game at a high pace, which is well-suited to how the pro game is trending. Goes to open areas to make himself an option on the attack. In general, he is a very complete player who improved throughout the season. He will get very high consideration in the top three rounds of this year's draft."

Gruden (6-foot-0, 172 pounds) knows he needs to get stronger and he'll attempt that at Miami University next season. He chose college rather than the Ontario Hockey League, where his father is in his second season as coach of Hamilton. Jonathan's OHL rights are held by London.

"He'll have to the time at Miami to develop his body to become an NHL player," Appert said.

6002018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

https://www.silversevensens.com/2018/6/23/17497200/ottawa-senators-select-angus-crookshank-at-126th-overall

So far in the 2018 NHL Draft, the Senators had picked college-bound players, and they didn’t change for their 4th-round pick. They chose LW Angus Crookshank of the BCHL’s Langley Rivermen, who’s committed to University of New Hampshire for 2018-19.

Crookshank scored 45 points in 42 games for the Rivermen last year, good enough for second on the team. He was the 2015-16 MVP of the CSSHL Prep Divison. He was pegged to go at 153 by Future Considerations, and 163 by ISS Hockey.

He’s listed at 5’11” and 181 lbs, which is a little bit smaller than I would’ve expected. That being said, he was listed at 5’10” at 170 lbs when UNH offered him a scholarship, so it’s quite possible he’s still growing taller, and he’s definitely still putting on muscle. That being said, he didn’t dominate the BCHL, and there still seemed to be a lot of good CHL talent yet. The Sens seem to have decided to go all-in on NCAA talent this draft, and it’ll be a few years until we can really evaluate how good Crookshank is.

6012018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:01 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kevin Mandolese:

Player Analysis:
Mandolese clocks in at 6’4, and 181 pounds, and all of that is used to guard the net of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in the QMJHL, and boy did they need it this year, as Cape Breton’s defense almost didn’t exist, and that’s a weird place to be if you’re a junior team that can score. They stayed above .500, but couldn’t backcheck to save their lives. In a famously not-great-defensively league.

As such when you play on a team getting regularly turnstiled, Mandolese’ SV% isn’t going to blow anybody’s mind. He’s been around .880 as a career average, so what makes him so valuable according to the NHL scouting staff?

Well, he big, for one thing.

Mandolese stands out as one of the largest lads in the draft right now at the position of goalie. It also helps that Mandolese has his positioning down, recovers very well from saves of any kind, and reads plays very well to deny opposing teams opportunities to score (and again he had to do that a lot). His sheer athleticism alone in such a frame makes him a dynamite player when the team is clicking, pitching a 45 shots saved game against Sherbooke last year where he only let one shot past him. 45 shots!

It helps that his attitude is usually pretty good and passionate for the game, and this has not gone unnoticed by his head coach, Marc-Andre Dupont. (Page is in french)

“I have always said that actions are a reflection of the attitude. Always, without exception. When you want to know someone’s attitude, you look at his actions and in this case, it’s clear that Kevin is doing everything he can to become the best goalkeeper possible. ” - Marc-Andre Dupont, GM/Head Coach of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles

Where he needs improvement, is like many prospects at this level; Consistency, muscle, and more accurately for him; rebound control. Right now he can happily get in front of most shots and turn a good portion of them away, but his rebounds open up second chance opportunities that, quite frankly, his team is not, nor does it seem like is ever, prepared to deal with. His aggressive tactics in dealing with shooters also sometimes can be his downfall, as he can leave wide open nets in places on the ice you really don’t want. As for the muscle, he is actually on the lighter side of goalies in this draft who are 6’4, and so putting some muscle on that frame will definitely help him in the long run. That’s just an “age and coaching” thing, so keeping that up will be part of the deal.

Currently, Mandolese is scheduled for somebody to take him in the late 2nd round or 3rd round. If fans are willing to be patient and coaches (and GMs from the looks of it) are willing to ice a defense that can support what this kid can bring? We might have the makings of a strong, aggressive, fun goaltending option to have around.

Player Rankings:
#2 by NHL Central Scouting among North American Goaltenders

#3 among goaltenders at the 2018 NHL Draft by TheDraftAnalyst.com

6022018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jakov Novak

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=19874

The Janesville Jets, proud members of the North American Hockey League (NAHL), are pleased to announce that forward Jakov Novak has committed to play NCAA Division I hockey for the Bentley Falcons of Atlantic Hockey.

Novak, a 6’3”, 200-pound power forward from Windsor, Ontario, has scored 15 points in 28 games for Janesville, and has the world’s top clubs scouting him on a regular basis as a prospect on NHL Central Scouting.

Jets head coach and general manager Joe Dibble, who drafted the Canadian winger with the Jets’ second of three first round picks last June, saw a bright future in Novak if he worked for it.

“I think every day he’s learning and getting better,” Dibble said. “At times in the beginning of the season I don’t know if he knew how to best use his size to his advantage, but he’s come into it and has realized his strength, and what he can do with his frame, his body, and his positioning. He’s getting better with the tools in his toolbox, and there are lots of them. The pieces have really come together for this young man, and when he’s done with juniors and college, I really do think this is a kid you’re going to watch on TV one day.”

The Falcons, coached by their all-time scoring leader Ryan Soderquist, commit to excellence both on the ice and in the classroom. Their 2015-16 team posted a 3.45 grade point average, and the school boasts one of the top business schools in the country. Last April, Bloomberg BusinessWeek ranked Bentley #10 in the United States, ahead of Cornell and Penn.

“Bentley has such a great business school, and as one of the top in the country, that definitely attracted me there,” said Novak. “I was definitely interested in schools that could help me academically as much as they do athletically.”

Novak was selected eighth overall by the Jets in last year’s NAHL Entry Draft. After finishing his midget career with the Windsor Jr. Spitfires, he scored 37 goals in 40 games for New Hampshire’s New Hampton School. In his rookie season of junior hockey, he’s taken a more complementary role within the Jets’ high octane offense, currently pacing the NAHL at 4.12 goals per game. Novak, like the successful Jets before him, understands the value of playing your role for your teammates.

“My main goal here is to win a championship,” he said. “Everything else follows if you play your role and do your job. There’s no reason why, if you make a team goal the big goal, the individual goals won’t come, too. You aren’t changing anything about your game by trying to win, and that’s what we’re trying to do. My main goal is to win a Robertson Cup for the Jets and for my brothers on this team.”

Novak becomes the seventh player of the 2016-17 Janesville Jets to commit to a Division I program, joining Chris Dodero (American International), Cole Paskus (UMass Lowell), Colin Felix (UMass Amherst), Jack Gates (Colorado College), Michael Maloney (Brown University), and Joey Abate (Wisconsin).

6032018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 40 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Luke Loheit

https://btssports.net/2018/01/21/luke-loheit-finds-a-haven-in-hockey/

Leadership is vital for a team to be successful, and Luke Loheit is providing just that for a Minnetonka team whose season is off to a strong start.

“It’s awesome for me as a senior,” Loheit said. “I just know I need to be a leader by example–being vocal and communicative with the guys, helping the younger guys adjust. It’s been nice knowing my role as well as helping the other guys learn their roles.”

Heading to Minnesota Duluth (UMD) next year, Loheit stated that he’s focused on making the changes necessary to be successful next year.

“I’m making a lot of simple adjustments in my game,” Loheit said, “learning how to deal with the speed and the physicality of older players and making decisions quicker than I used to. My coaches are helping me to learn how to do that as well as are my teammates.”

Unlike many other high school sports, hockey players are known for committing on the earlier side of the timeline. Loheit recalls that he enjoyed getting the decision over sooner rather than later.

“I think it takes a lot of pressure off,” Loheit said. “The whole process is stressful for sure. It’s a good stress though. I also think that some guys feel that pressure of performing after they commit. People on the outside have expectations for how they should play, which could be some added stress. I’ve personally found it less stressful though. It’s nice to have it off your shoulders so you can focus on high school hockey.”

Loheit expressed how his wanting to play close to home factored into his commitment to UMD.

“My decision was very hard,” Loheit said. “I had offers from Denver and Wisconsin. I went to Denver the weekend before I committed, and the visit was really nice. But I came home thinking about my family, and how important they are to me. Having an opportunity to play 2-3 hours from home, that really came into play. I can come home and see my family, see my friends. It was a big deciding factor for me. I’m really happy with my decision.”

Sports can create a getaway for athletes through difficult times, and the game of hockey is a special haven for Loheit for a multitude of reasons.

“It’s an unbelievable sport,” Loheit explained. “It makes me realize how fortunate I am. After a tough day, whether it’s because of a hard day at school, or anything like that, you’re able to go to the rink and take all of it all off your shoulders. It’s what your coaches tell you to do when you were growing up, which is to have fun, be with your buddies and build relationships. It’s my escape every day.”

Loheit currently has 11 goals and 12 assists through 16 games with a +21 rating for the Skippers, and is a C Rated prospect in the NHL Central Scouting’s “Preliminary Players to Watch” for the NHL Draft this coming spring.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 41]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum